How to cook without oil... Also, what's the healthiest oil?

Options
Hey everyone,

I hate cooking with oil! It ups my calories so much and adds a lot of fat. What are some alternatives? What about in a recipe that calls for oil such as hummus? How do you work around oil?

Replies

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Depending on what I'm cooking I'll use coconut oil or EEVO. It depends on the type of food. And for me, I need the fat, so I embrace it. Best of luck.
  • localised
    localised Posts: 25
    Options
    honestly there's no reason to be scared of oil or fat... just don't overdo it.

but to cook without oil, you can try steaming (steamed chicken is a traditional chinese recipe), poaching or baking your meats/fish/vegetables...

some people replace the tahini and oil in hummus with vegetable stock/broth, but it definitely does not taste as good as the higher-fat traditional version.

healthiest oil - probably olive oil
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

I hate cooking with oil! It ups my calories so much and adds a lot of fat. What are some alternatives? What about in a recipe that calls for oil such as hummus? How do you work around oil?
    How much oil do you use? You might consider cutting down the amount.

For example, I cook enough salmon on my griddle for three dinners and use a teaspoon, which comes out to about 40 some odd calories. Cut that in three and add to the salmon and that is not many calories in oil added.

The idea of changing eating habits is not to cut out foods but to learn moderation.

That said, you can always steam meats in a steamer if you don't want any oil. Or, put a teaspoon of water i the bottom of the pan.
  • Crazycatladytracey
    Crazycatladytracey Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I try to ise a griddle pan or even try with a teaspoon of oil as many foods cook in their own juices
  • felonebeats
    felonebeats Posts: 433
    Options
    I use Fry Light 1 calorie oil
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    You only need to use a tablespoon or so to cook with. I use EEVO, it's a good healthy oil to use. You need good fats like the monounsaturated fats in EEVO in your diets.
  • IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I should also mention I'm a vegan so this is not for meats.. I do try to use a coconut spray oil from trader Joe's when I can.

Some recipes, for example, call for two tablespoons of olive oil. When I'm cooking for only my boyfriend and myself, that seems like a lot.

Some of the protein I add to my diet, such as almonds, add a lot of fat. I'm trying to get the fat (and carbohydrate) percentage down while getting the protein percentage up. It's proving difficult, but if I can try to cut down on some oils then I think that will help.

Also, I have a romesco sauce I make once a week which calls for three tablespoons of olive oil. That feels like a lot of two of us, and so I'm wondering if there is something else I can do to reduce that.

I've been thinking of switching from olive oil to coconut oil; however, I'm not familiar with the differences nutritionally
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I was the same way worrying about the calories from oil. A trick I have to use as little as possible is a rubber basting brush and coat the bottom of a pan. I prefer coconut oil. I will take a 1/4 of a tsp, melt it in the microwave in a small dish then coat the bottom of the pan. It works wonders. I rarely use the amount of oil a recipe calls for. Good luck and I hope this helps.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,606 Member
    Options
    I use a sprayer made by Misto that you can fill with your own olive oil. If the sprayer malfunctions a silicon brush can distribute a scant quantity of oil on the pan.
  • Amy3935
    Amy3935 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Depending on what I'm cooking I'll use coconut oil or EEVO. It depends on the type of food. And for me, I need the fat, so I embrace it. Best of luck.
    You only need to use a tablespoon or so to cook with. I use EEVO, it's a good healthy oil to use. You need good fats like the monounsaturated fats in EEVO in your diets.

You guys do mean EVOO - extra virgin olive oil - right? Or is this some new fad I'm unaware of.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    I should also mention I'm a vegan so this is not for meats.. I do try to use a coconut spray oil from trader Joe's when I can.

Some recipes, for example, call for two tablespoons of olive oil. When I'm cooking for only my boyfriend and myself, that seems like a lot.

Some of the protein I add to my diet, such as almonds, add a lot of fat. I'm trying to get the fat (and carbohydrate) percentage down while getting the protein percentage up. It's proving difficult, but if I can try to cut down on some oils then I think that will help.

Also, I have a romesco sauce I make once a week which calls for three tablespoons of olive oil. That feels like a lot of two of us, and so I'm wondering if there is something else I can do to reduce that.

I've been thinking of switching from olive oil to coconut oil; however, I'm not familiar with the differences nutritionally

Difference from EEVO to coconut is minimal, and if it is mushrooms I use butter, the oils get absorbed too quickly IMO.
  • pastybuns
    pastybuns Posts: 81
    Options
    An easy way to minimize the amount of oil is to put some in a pan, heat it up, then use a piece of paper towel to absorb most of the oil while leaving a thin layer on the pan.

If you want to use no oil, there are awesome non-stick pans out there. Like this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-Textured-Ceramic-Non-Stick-Coating/dp/B005473FMO/ref=sr_1_8?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1402272543&sr=1-8&keywords=nonstick+pan
  • thefatveganchef
    thefatveganchef Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, and Smart Balance cooking oils are what I use. For butter subs use Earth Balance spreads and sticks. (I am vegan as well). I mostly use EVOO. You do need some fat in your diet. It helps the brain, and if you don't eat enough it will result in more fat storage, or the body holding on to the fat you are trying to lose. A lot of people dieting will eat a few tablespoons of coconut oil a day because of the properties of it.
  • BeginningAgainMay14
    BeginningAgainMay14 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Most recipes way overstate the amount needed. I don't ever saute in more than a tablespoon of oil, no matter what I'm cooking. Obviously if I were making french fries that would be a problem, but apart from deep frying, you're almost never going to notice the difference cutting the oil to a tablespoon in a recipe. Baking anything would be the exception, and vinaigrettes will be sharper if you cut the oil content significantly, but you may find out you like them that way.

If the Romesco is a cooked sauce, I'd try it with 1 tablespoon, if it's uncooked, I'd probably cut it to 2 first, and see what I thought. But generally, you don't need to be shy about just straight out cutting your oil in half or by 2/3. I have recipes calling for 1/4 cup and I just use my same tablespoon.

For salad dressings, if you want to use less oil, I find that lemon is less harsh than vinegar, so I can use less oil in the dressing.
  • clairelizzy1972
    clairelizzy1972 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I only do it with brownies, you substitute applesauce for the oil (equal measurements, 1cup=1cup). In my opinion it makes them even better! Very moist.
    053069 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    olive oil is good fat, usually i do not avoid that. Use oil spray (I would buy a spray that you can refill with your favorite oil brand) and look for a Tefal.
    http://www.tefal.com/en/Cooking-appliances/Fryers/ActiFry/ActiFry-PLUS/p/1500634807
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I was the same way worrying about the calories from oil. A trick I have to use as little as possible is a rubber basting brush and coat the bottom of a pan. I prefer coconut oil. I will take a 1/4 of a tsp, melt it in the microwave in a small dish then coat the bottom of the pan. It works wonders. I rarely use the amount of oil a recipe calls for. Good luck and I hope this helps.
    Thanks for the tip about the basting brush...excellent Idea!
  • OliviaCeed
    OliviaCeed Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    what I've done for myself is make a suspension of sunflower oil or olive oil with water. I use my wand mixer on its highest setting and add water to the oil - I don't have much success the other way around. And then I use that for cooking as though it was straight oil. It helps cut back on the calories a little and I still get the nice taste.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Differences are minor - switching from one to the other (or the other way 'round) won't have a meaningful impact on your nutrition or "health".
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I use Fry Light 1 calorie oil
    I have never heard of that. Is ti a spray?