Knee Injury - can i use treadmill?

Options
Hey,

I was at my doc today & it appears i may have done something to my tendon/cartilage as i have pain when bending my knee when having weight on it e.g. sitting down on a chair.

My doctor said i wasnt allowed to go to exercise classes but to keep it moving.

Do you think it would be ok to go to the gym & just walk on the treadmill or would that make it worse?

Replies

• tschram12
    tschram12 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi how are you, I am not a doctor but I would recommend not putting any undue stress on your knee until you get the okay from your doctor. Your knee needs time to heal. I actually started to do water aerobics and I love it. This may be a good alternitive if possible.
  • didi7422
    Options
    How about the elliptical instead? There's less impact on your knee because it's just constant fluid motion, where as on the treadmill you are bearing down on the knee joint with each step. You should probably check with your doc either way just to be sure but usually they say the elliptical is better impact wise than the treadmill.

Good luck..knee pain sucks! I have similar in one of my knees.
  • forthefab5
    forthefab5 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing if you are only walking that should be okay but if you have access to an elliptical that could be even better since there is less pressure and you will still get the positive cardiovascular effect. Hope your knee feels better soon!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    No exercise classes but "keep it moving".
    To me this sounds like a slow comfortable WALK would be ok on the treadmill but don't try to jog. Low impact or even better, NO impact movement is best. If you have access, walk in water (if your gym has a pool?)
    And if you really want to still work out and get a good burn for the day do upper body strength training. Boxing-style punches while seated can even get your cardio in.
    Work on your abs too, that's something you can do with no strain on your knee.

Hope it feels better soon.:flowerforyou:
  • Louise12
    Louise12 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I would advice swimming !
  • grace914
    grace914 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Good morning, I'm sorry to hear about your knee. I hurt my left knee on the 28th and has ruined my cardio too! I recommend working on the elliptical instead of the treadmill. Like the others stated, it's less impact on your knee. Good luck and I hope you feel better.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Wear a Brace to help support it. Do not do anything that your pounding your feet(very bad on joint) Try a supplement combo with glucosamin/chondrodion/MSM to help lube the joints and listen to your body. I have had knee prob most of my life and my right one is so bad is grinds and is crunchy when I flex and bend it. Be aware of it. Train the muscles around it to help supprot it
  • janeeny
    janeeny Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Thanks for all your replies.

My gym doesnt have a swimming pool so couldnt do aqua aerobics.

The only reason i thought the treadmill would be better is when i put weight on my knee while its bent its sore on the left side of my right knee. I was thinking that when using the elliptical i would be putting weight on my knee & causing more pain.

I'm going to call a physiotherapist in an hour or so to book an appointment & see what they say :)
  • ozofeliz
    ozofeliz Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    In my experience, you must wait.
  • denise309
    Options
    Hi
    I have a bad right knee and ANYTIME I go on the treadmill it hurts almost immediately...I use the ellipitical and that doesnt bother it

Let it heal then retry the treadmill after you get the OK from the dr

good luck and feel better