Must I starve to lose?

Options

Replies

• SD4259
    SD4259 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If I eat them back, won't I gain weight?
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

nope, your deficit is already included, so the calories you burn through exercise are added to your daily total because you should eat them to fuel your next workout. They are the bonus, the payoff for the exercise, so to speak.

edit to add, you might not want to eat them ALL back, IF you're using the My Fitness Pal database to get your info, because the database tends to be fairly far off accurate. Aim for eating back 50-75% of your earned calories and you should do well.
  • foxsylph
    foxsylph Posts: 54 Member
    Options

No - You will not gain weight if your net calories are below what you need to maintain. It sounds as though your net calories have been too low if you have been eating those calories and burning calories without eating them back, so it's possible that you might gain a very small amount back if you raise your net intake but you will lose it fast and be eating at a more sustainable level. If you eat 1300ish and burn 700, you've only intaken 600 calories net, which is too low by far.

The only thing I'd be wary of is trusting the reading a machine gives you for the cardio you've done, they can be quite off, so I'd compare a few sources.
  • rumezzo
    rumezzo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    All the online tools tell me to eat between 1600-1700 cals to lose. Seriously, I cant even get through one day on that?

I weigh 200lbs, but also have a ton of lean muscle. Im quite thin at 150-160. I dont work out much, but I have a pretty active lifestyle.

I eat lots of lean protein and fresh produce and high fiber grains- I eat very clean and healthy & avoid sugar. I also only drink H20. But I still find that if I go below 2000 cals I feel really weak. Must I starve and feel awful to release fat?

It's hard to really determine without seeing a food diary, but I don't share mine, so I try not to poke through other peoples' either. But honestly, when I first starting counting I was hungry a LOT (and frankly sometimes still am as I struggle with a plateau right now only 10 lbs or so from my ultimate goal). Seriously. I try to do a few things to help combat that:

1. Anytime I'm feeling hunger pains I'll drink a glass of water. Sometimes some lightly sweetened or unsweet tea or coffee if I really need a pick me up. It's easy to confuse thirst for hunger, and even if you really are hungry, not thirsty, you can stretch a bit longer that way.
    2. Try to have a good snack on hand, because any time I don't and go to a meal too hungry, I make bad choices and/or eat too much. That always sends me over the goal anyway. So it's better to have a handful of almonds for like 60 calories (I have small hands), even if that makes me 60 over my goal for the day, than to go hundreds over because I am starving.
    3. I try to keep some gum in my purse. The chewing action tides me over a lot.

A side note, I obviously understand you don't really think you're starving. You are just using a bit of hyperbole as many folks are wont to do. People get so stuck up on silly things, yes?
  • SD4259
    Options
    Thank you both, I'll try adding more calories so that I don't have to eat back my calories since I exercise late in the evening.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Eat eggs, turkey sausage and toast for breakfast, a ham sandwich for lunch, and turkey burgers with asparagus, homemade pizza with lots of veggies, chicken stir fry, or whole grain spaghetti with ground turkey for dinner. Eat ham sandwiches for snacks too! Works for me!
  • SD4259
    Options
    Are you saying that I should be eating all this in one day and if so, I'm assuming to space them out? I'm also in my 50s, my metabolism is slower than all of you in your 30s.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    by starve I mean: very weak, dizzy, low energy, cant get off the couch... I dont mean hunger pangs. I mean literally the feeling of starvation. And yes, Im aware that Im overweight & that my body "should" understand it can use my fat as energy.

And Ive had a full physical and all my bloodwork is normal.

And yes, Ive had my BF% tested multiple times by trained professionals who have all remarked that I have a lot of lean muscle.
    what types of foods are you eating? I'm doubtful you feel true starvation. Kids in Africa eating dirt to fill their stomachs so they can sleep are truly starving, not you at 1700 cals per day. They would love to have that in a week. Let's be real
  • PinkCupcakes84
    PinkCupcakes84 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    by starve I mean: very weak, dizzy, low energy, cant get off the couch... I dont mean hunger pangs. I mean literally the feeling of starvation. And yes, Im aware that Im overweight & that my body "should" understand it can use my fat as energy.

And yes, Ive had my BF% tested multiple times by trained professionals who have all remarked that I have a lot of lean muscle.
    what types of foods are you eating? I'm doubtful you feel true starvation. Kids in Africa eating dirt to fill their stomachs so they can sleep are truly starving, not you at 1700 cals per day. They would love to have that in a week. Let's be real

????????????????????????
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    When i first started dieting.... I felt hungry all of the time... hunger pangs even woke me up at night.. So it is rough at first... but it gets a lot easier as your body gets use to it...

Be strong and don't worry many people like you have gone through this same struggle...

and have overcomed them...
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    All the online tools tell me to eat between 1600-1700 cals to lose. Seriously, I cant even get through one day on that?

I weigh 200lbs, but also have a ton of lean muscle. Im quite thin at 150-160. I dont work out much, but I have a pretty active lifestyle.

I eat lots of lean protein and fresh produce and high fiber grains- I eat very clean and healthy & avoid sugar. I also only drink H20. But I still find that if I go below 2000 cals I feel really weak. Must I starve and feel awful to release fat?
    I walk and burn off anywhere from 200 to 500 calories depending on how far I go and what my HRM says I've burned, Than I go on my merry way back home and eat every mother loving calorie I've earned. I love having extra food and cutting back to 1500 to 1700 is hard for me to do, but you make it work and if you need more to eat, get a walk in and have more.
  • OliviaCeed
    OliviaCeed Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    if it's a question of feeling satiated, I have found that Pgx Granules helped tremendously in that area. I add one scoop to select meals (breakfast / snack; for me) and that contents me. Now that I'm adjusting to my diet and activity changes, I'm finding I can often go without adding the granules. The added advantage to the Pgx granules is that it's a 1:1 carb/fiber. As I need 30g of fiber a day (as per doctor's guidelines), I'm finding the granules to be of good use for me.

It's an idea.

Best of luck to you and your goals! <3
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    It's tough at first. There is no magic pill that alleviates the hunger pangs. I will eat a tablespoon of all natural peanut butter as a snack, and that helps me. But there is no such thing as losing weight without getting hungry. The good news is your body and brain eventually get accustomed to your new calorie intake and those hunger pangs subside.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

Again, you probably need to eat more protein and fiber...and add some healthy fats! It's impossible to give you real advice if you don't open your diary, but if you're living on 1700 cals of air popped popcorn and celery sticks, yeah, you're not going to feel well.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

It's hard to really determine without seeing a food diary, but I don't share mine, so I try not to poke through other peoples' either. But honestly, when I first starting counting I was hungry a LOT (and frankly sometimes still am as I struggle with a plateau right now only 10 lbs or so from my ultimate goal). Seriously. I try to do a few things to help combat that:

1. Anytime I'm feeling hunger pains I'll drink a glass of water. Sometimes some lightly sweetened or unsweet tea or coffee if I really need a pick me up. It's easy to confuse thirst for hunger, and even if you really are hungry, not thirsty, you can stretch a bit longer that way.
    2. Try to have a good snack on hand, because any time I don't and go to a meal too hungry, I make bad choices and/or eat too much. That always sends me over the goal anyway. So it's better to have a handful of almonds for like 60 calories (I have small hands), even if that makes me 60 over my goal for the day, than to go hundreds over because I am starving.
    3. I try to keep some gum in my purse. The chewing action tides me over a lot.

A side note, I obviously understand you don't really think you're starving. You are just using a bit of hyperbole as many folks are wont to do. People get so stuck up on silly things, yes?

Is she using a bit of hyperbole or does she mean she's literally starving? hmmm...
    by starve I mean: very weak, dizzy, low energy, cant get off the couch... I dont mean hunger pangs. I mean literally the feeling of starvation.
  • foxsylph
    Options
    I understood it as hyperbole.

Literal starvation is a terrible state. Having been anorexic in the past, I can understand people being sensitive about the distinction and wanting to argue that point. But starvation or not, it also makes me happy to see someone valuing their well-being enough to care about their hunger levels and energy while trying to lose weight. Too many people assume it has to feel *awful* And no, no - It doesn't and shouldn't.
  • foxsylph
    Options
    If the feelings of starvation are *severe* at that amount of calories, my urge would be to see a doctor. While it's probably just the drop in calories being taken hard it could possibly imply an issue with blood sugar/thyroid issues or any number of things and could be worth ruling such things out.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    2000 should be fine.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I still remember the conversation I had with my dietician about this and it was over 2 years ago. I told her I was having my numbers, plenty of protein, getting in some high fiber things.....but I was still HUNGRY!

She said: Get in more fiber! So I did. I lost 12 pounds that month, and I wasn't hungry.

I added Chocolite Protein bars (www.healthsmartfoods.com) to my diet. 1-3 a day depending on how my numbers look. You can get coupon codes from www.retailmenot.com. They have about 10g protein, about 10g fiber, they're gluten free and sugar free, and are about 100 calories.

It's helped me IMMENSELY!!
  • tarcotti
    tarcotti Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Only read the first couple of posts, so I'm not sure what everyone else has said, but I wanted to say that your experience reminds me of myself a little. I started around your weight at over 200 lbs a year ago. I started the diet eating 1200 calories a day. This made made me very hungry every day like you say. But I was able to do it for a little over 3 months and lost 27 lbs. However, I did little to no exercise, and l didn't plan my meals with all the food groups. I see that you say you eat "organic" but clearly that isn't all that must be done since its not working for you. I feel like even towards the end, I got more used to it, but not completely and I was tired of feeling hungry, plus I was depressed so I went off of it. Now that I'm back again, I don't feel hungry anymore. And some things have changed:

1. I exercise daily. Even if its only 15 minutes of jogging. But usually I do it for a while so I can burn off about 300 calories so I can eat a little more during the day. My goal is still 1200 calories each day, but I'm eating 1400 - 1600 and burning off the rest with exercise.
    2. I eat protein with every meal. Eggs, Turkey Sausage, Cheese for morning. Turkey, Ham, Tuna, or Chicken for lunch, and usually for dinner I can eat a little more calories than normal so if I'm not eating a lean meat then there is always some other protein there. This is the key to filling full apparently...
    3. I don't drink my calories. Food fills you up more than drink, so save those precious calories for substance. I only drink water, tea, coffee, 0 cal soda (rarely), and skim milk or light juice at 45 cal. a cup if I don't want a 0 cal drink.
    4. Last and definitely not recommended, (and frankly, I'm not sure if this is a part of it) I ate 800 calories for a 3 days fast before starting this 1200 cal a day limit. I felt very weak by the end of it. When I went to 1200 calories, I felt like I was over eating!
    5. Lifestyle change, and not diet. That is important. I can't even eat pop tarts anymore, one of my old favorites. They just taste like sugary cardboard now, and not appetizing anymore. I never thought that would happen.