Ramadan and fasting

Options
kp1439
kp1439 Posts: 343 Member
Ramadan is coming very soon. i will be observing and will be fasting during this time. I do have type 2 diabetics so i am a little concerned how to do it .... any suggestions any one ...

Replies

• RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    It would be wise to consult with your doctor, since fasting and diabetes is a dangerous combination.

In the Christian faith, if someone wants to fast but has a medical reason that makes it unwise, then they can fast from things other than food; from TV, chocolate, or their daily coffee, for instance. With your doctor's consultation he may be able to help you find an acceptable way to observe Ramadan without compromising your health.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    Are you allowed to drink fluids during the fasting times?

If you are diabetic and take medication you would have to be careful not to have hypos - by checking your BSL and then drinking sweetened drink if it is falling too low.

But I agree with PP - best to check with your doctor first before embarking on this.
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert on Islam, but I thought there were exceptions for people with medical issues. Not skipping the fast completely, but allowing light snacks to keep your blood sugar in check while fasting.
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Is this your first Ramadan? If not, just do what you did last year- you clearly survived.
  • tmaryam
    tmaryam Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Salaam, brother! Are you newly diabetic? How have your fasts gone in the past? I'll be fasting as well, insha'Allah. If your doctor says it's ok, try it and see how you feel. If your blood sugar drops, take the exception and donate a day's worth of meals to the poor.
  • tmaryam
    tmaryam Posts: 289 Member
    Options

If you are diabetic and take medication you would have to be careful not to have hypos - by checking your BSL and then drinking sweetened drink if it is falling too low.

But I agree with PP - best to check with your doctor first before embarking on this.

No, we abstain from all food & water (this includes gum and candy) from our morning prayer to our evening prayer. (Dawn till dusk.)
  • orangpeel757
    orangpeel757 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You don't want to cause yourself harm and it sounds like you know this is a possibility or you wouldn't have asked. Well, it is doable; however, you should definitely talk to your doctor. Make a list of as many questions as you can think of before you go in for your appointment so your doctor can address all of your concerns. They can advise you on things like how fasting will affect your blood sugar and the type/amount of insulin you should use. They may also be able to give you some tips about what to eat before you begin and after you break your fast.
  • paperpudding
    Options

No, we abstain from all food & water (this includes gum and candy) from our morning prayer to our evening prayer. (Dawn till dusk.)

Oh ok. My suggestion won't work then. Sorry, OP.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    Is this your first Ramadan? If not, just do what you did last year- you clearly survived.

Except perhaps he wasn't a type 2 diabetic last year or wasn't on diabetic medication at that point.
  • NonDebutante3dot0
    NonDebutante3dot0 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    how do you delete a post?
  • NonDebutante3dot0
    NonDebutante3dot0 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Salaam, brother! Are you newly diabetic? How have your fasts gone in the past? I'll be fasting as well, insha'Allah. If your doctor says it's ok, try it and see how you feel. If your blood sugar drops, take the exception and donate a day's worth of meals to the poor.

Sounds like very reasonable advice!
  • kp1439
    Options
    walaikum assalam .... yes i am newly diabetic.. i been fasting regularly during ramadan. this year i found out i am diabetic so was looking for people who is already experienced. can let me know how they been doing it with diabetic.
  • kp1439
    Options
    first one with diabetic ...
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Can you talk to your Imam about any alternative observances for people who cannot fast for health reasons? Between your spiritual leader and your doctor, I'm sure they can come up with a solution.

May your prayers be answered during this Ramadan. :)
  • kp1439
    Options
    Can you talk to your Imam about any alternative observances for people who cannot fast for health reasons? Between your spiritual leader and your doctor, I'm sure they can come up with a solution.

May your prayers be answered during this Ramadan. :)

i am planning on go see him next week .. :)
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Scary.
  • Be11adonna
    Be11adonna Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Islam makes allowances for illness, travelling etc..Please check with your GP and if it's not safe, do not risk your health.
    Ramadan Kareem.