101 Things to do Instead of Binge Eating

Options
Hi. I'm Stefany and I'm an Over-eater...
I have a problem with binging on unhealthy fatty foods.

I'm trying to stop that negativity and live a healthy lifestyle!
I've never really had a support group, though. So, I'm hoping this website will be helpful in that way as well as keeping track of what I'm eating.

Right now, I can't seem to get past doing okay for breakfast and then later binging and then hating myself at night saying that tomorrow will be different... it's the tortuous cycle I put myself through!

I have a lot of stuff I want to do besides eat... but I always seem to pick the eating over anything else. ):

I found this website and thought it might help us out by giving us options we may not think about initially.
http://bingeeatingtherapy.com/2011/02/02/101-things-to-do-instead-of-binge-eating/

It does take more effort to do these things than to eat.. but only because the pull to eat is so strong.

What is your go-to thing to do instead of binging? (:

Replies

• uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    87.)Paint your garbage can.

I think this person started running out of ideas. :laugh:
  • stefaery
    stefaery Posts: 9
    Options
    I dunno, I actually think these are pretty cool!

da-coachella-01.jpg

2dc9288.jpg

543a5ea6788bcd366627ef65aa825a05.jpg
  • ChristineRoze
    ChristineRoze Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I think I have done 50% of the things on that list haha, now i just sit on forums while watching tv, drinking coffee. Want to start going to the gym but just found out my fav gym is closing 0.0
  • Gloria67648
    Gloria67648 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Learn a new language. Duolingo. I'm learning German & spanish
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    I don't have any tips, have never really had a binge problem

Just wanted to say what cool garbage bins those are! :smile:
  • lauradupree
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. There are some good ideas in the mix.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Water !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • stefaery
    stefaery Posts: 9
    Options
    Learn a new language. Duolingo. I'm learning German & spanish

Omg! I'm learning German with Duolingo, too!
    I'm also learning Sign Language with my sister, so that's fun!
    I think I have done 50% of the things on that list haha, now i just sit on forums while watching tv, drinking coffee. Want to start going to the gym but just found out my fav gym is closing 0.0

Aw man! Is there another gym close by? I took gym classes awhile ago (before I threw my back out) and I miss it, the classes were so fun!

Well hey, if it works! I've learned watching T.V. is a binge-trigger for me.
    When I'm obsessing over food I need to keep my mind busy thinking about anything else. The hard part is actually forcing myself to do something else, aha. It's sad.
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    For me having hobbies is so necessary because I live I the middle of nowhere. I can sew, crochet, garden, paint, clean and spin wool (this means I have a spinning wheel and can use it), learning Latin-American Spanish, spoil the neighbors dogs, and many other things. I think having hobbies is needed just to keep busy. I noticed a long time ago that I will mindlessly eat if I didn't keep busy.
  • ChristineRoze
    ChristineRoze Posts: 212 Member
    Options

Aw man! Is there another gym close by? I took gym classes awhile ago (before I threw my back out) and I miss it, the classes were so fun!

Well hey, if it works! I've learned watching T.V. is a binge-trigger for me.
    When I'm obsessing over food I need to keep my mind busy thinking about anything else. The hard part is actually forcing myself to do something else, aha. It's sad.

Yeah there are a couple of gyms, but i am thinking of doing group PT sessions 30min from my place, hopefully the social aspect will keep me occupied :)

It's hard watching tv, that's why i have to constantly be talking to people online or looking up things. I've been eating my meals during adverts or in the kitchen sometimes to help stop the habit of eating in front of the TV :)
  • THICKandFIT
    THICKandFIT Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Two things have really helped me cut back on the late night snack attack/overeating.

1. I don't eat breakfast and only occasionally eat lunch. I suppose what I do is a type of intermittent fasting and, to be honest, it has been a lifesaver for me. I love eating a big serving of food and I can do that without guilt if I only eat once or twice a day. I can have almost anything I want if I have "fasted" during the day time. I was never into breakfast and keep quite busy during the day so this eating pattern works well for me.

Having the bulk of my calories left at the end of the day also allows me to go out to eat and enjoy the experience. I can choose most things off the menu and not be limited to salads and turkey burgers.

2. Don't keep your naughty trigger foods in the house! If you live with other people and can't keep junk out of the house, set aside a cabinet just for you. That is the only cabinet you open. Don't even think about those poptarts/snickers/chips in the other cabinets.
  • xRedRockerx
    xRedRockerx Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I found this website earlier (today's been one of those bingey days...) and it's given me some great ideas. To stop myself from binge eating I have to physically do something, I can't just sit in front of the telly or computer and distract myself, so normally I end up playing a few card games by myself or doing a timed Rubik's solve. Doing a jigsaw puzzle is a great idea though, might have to try that one!