Just found out I have PCOS....wow...

Options
Wow.....so, when I was in middle school I had regular periods and then all of a sudden it stopped....I would have my period twice a year. I went to 2 separate doctors about it years apart...they both said, oh, you probably just don't produce as much of a certain hormone (don't remember the name), I wouldn't worry about it. So I didn't worry about it.

But now...I found out that I have PCOS...that explains a LOT. That explains why most of my fat is stored in my stomach.....and why eating healthy, watching how much I eat, and going from a sedentary to a very active and healthy lifestyle hasn't changed my weight at all....

In a way it's freeing to find this out.....People often comment on, why is your stomach so big at such a young age? What have you been eating? And they don't believe me when I tell them I work out regularly....now I know there is a reason....I'm not lazy....i'm not stuffing my face with food all day...there is a medical reason why I am not losing weight....

Replies

• Lizajayne23
    Lizajayne23 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    All of that is true, but it's not an excuse. It's a reason to buckle down and work harder than ever to get healthy, especially if you want children someday. I would suggest joining the PCOS groups here and searching the wealth of information to start you on that journey. You can lose the weight but it takes dedication and determination and understanding that it will be a little tougher but not impossible!
  • RadioGames
    RadioGames Posts: 24
    Options
    All of that is true, but it's not an excuse. It's a reason to buckle down and work harder than ever to get healthy, especially if you want children someday. I would suggest joining the PCOS groups here and searching the wealth of information to start you on that journey. You can lose the weight but it takes dedication and determination and understanding that it will be a little tougher but not impossible!

It's not an excuse, I work out 4 hours a day lol :) I will join the groups.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

It's not an excuse, I work out 4 hours a day lol :) I will join the groups.

Yes it can explain a lot of things but remember there are lots of woman who live with it as well...and have lost weight.

I know lots don't like Jillian Michaels but she has PCOS as well...

The groups will give good support and advice.
  • RadioGames
    RadioGames Posts: 24
    Options
    how can I find the link to the group. I'm new here
  • Healthier African Mango is the exotic fruit to help you lose weight.it has natural appetite booster.It has been popular as a food stable in some countries.

thanks
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Here are some groups to check out.
    Yes, it is harder to lose with PCOS, but not impossible. Lower carb helps alot,and you generally need fewer calories than someone withoutPCOS. Sucks, but it is life for many of us.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3070-p-c-o-sis
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3300-pcos-and-low-glycemic-eating
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Healthier African Mango is the exotic fruit to help you lose weight.it has natural appetite booster.It has been popular as a food stable in some countries.

thanks

First, don't listen to this. It's not true.

Second, to find groups just look on your tool bar under the community section

Third, http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group

Most women tend to see greater success on a low carb regiment when they have PCOS, even if they aren't insulin resistant. Generally, modifying your macros to have carbs at 100g or less in carbs a day will benefit you the most.

Last, PCOS isn't the reason you store your body fat in your tummy, genetics is. I know many women with PCOS that store their weight in their hips.
  • ladyargentum
    ladyargentum Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    how can I find the link to the group. I'm new here

near the top of your page it has home - recent posts- my topics- settings -search - moderate
    click on search and type in PCOS. there are multiple groups you can look at and join which ones you want.

I was recently diagnosed with PCOS (mild/moderate symptoms). Yes it is good to know about and there is huge amounts of information on the net about it. Some people have found lowering carbs to be helpful in losing weight- check out the forums in regard to this.

All the best
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    http://www.webmd.com/women/polycystic-ovary-syndrome-pcos-and-weight-gain

"PCOS makes it more difficult for the body to use the hormone insulin, which normally helps convert sugars and starches from foods into energy. This condition -- called insulin resistance -- can cause insulin and sugar -- glucose -- to build up in the bloodstream.

High insulin levels increase the production of male hormones called androgens. High androgen levels lead to symptoms such as body hair growth, acne, irregular periods -- and weight gain. Because the weight gain is triggered by male hormones, it is typically in the abdomen. That is where men tend to carry weight. So, instead of having a pear shape, women with PCOS have more of an apple shape."

Here is a link to another good site.
    http://www.lef.org/protocols/female_reproductive/polycystic_ovary_syndrome_01.htm