How big deficit is OK?

Options
Hello everyone! I have been losing weight for a long time but with a big pauses between. I am 167cm, 58kg. Age 23.
The last summer I slowed down my metabolism by having net 900 cal. In 3 month I lost only 2 kilos. Then for 6 month i lived on around 1500 kal and maintained 58kg. From February to April I have been trying to lose 3 more kilos, I lifted heavy aded 2 kg, but with time they went down again to 58 but fat was reduced and got nicer shape of glutes and legs and arms. After 3 month on 1200 net I stopped losing. I had consultation with fitness trainer, he told to get back to maintanance for at least few weeks. So in May I did reverse diet and now I reached 1600 maintanance. When I go to the gym its around 1800.
Now I want to start cutting, but I am afraid to make too big deficit in order not to slow down metabolism. My maintanance is around 1800kcal (I have sedentary lifestyle, only gym excercises - not heavy, but moderate lifting).
It is suggested to have 20% of deficit of mainatance calories. For me it makes 1440 a day.
Shal I start to cut slowly - 100 cal per week, or go directly to 1440?

Replies

• warrio1010
    warrio1010 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    A 500 calorie deficit will yield a 1lb weight loss rate, so for you that's 1300. Yes you should jump straight to it.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    You don't look as if you have much to lose. 1/2 lb per week would be an advisable goal.

Do you use a food scale? Cups and measuring spoons?
  • Sufija
    Sufija Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You don't look as if you have much to lose. 1/2 lb per week would be an advisable goal.

Do you use a food scale? Cups and measuring spoons?
    this is not picture of me, but the belly is almost the same. Yes i am measuring all the food with scale and spoons/cups.
    I am just afraid that 500 cal deficit is too sharp if I have to lose only some 3 kg
    Someone has experience?
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    If you only want to lose around 3kg, consider what this lady has to say: https://gokaleo.com/2012/09/19/body-composition-that-last-five-pounds-and-how-to-deal-with-problem-areas/

Notice how she says "You’re at, or close to, a healthy weight, even if it’s higher than you wish."

This is a slow process (I'm just beginning it myself), but it's a sane and doable process. If you're worried about hunger pangs, this might be a way for you!
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    My 1st suggestion would to NEVER have net calories below 1200. NEVER. Since you are sooo close you can look at it 2 way.

1. A slight calorie deficit and like someone else already said...about 1/2 a lb per week. Or
    2. Preferred method is eating slightly over maintenance to build muscle and let the muscle burn your fat.
    add HIIT cardio to aid in burning fat.
    Hope this helps
  • Sufija
    Sufija Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you only want to lose around 3kg, consider what this lady has to say: https://gokaleo.com/2012/09/19/body-composition-that-last-five-pounds-and-how-to-deal-with-problem-areas/

Notice how she says "You’re at, or close to, a healthy weight, even if it’s higher than you wish."

This is a slow process (I'm just beginning it myself), but it's a sane and doable process. If you're worried about hunger pangs, this might be a way for you!
    Thank you for the link. It is indeed useful. And thank you laddyboy. Your suggestion is similar to the one in the link. The problem is that I think so far I am enough with my muscles under the fat. Loosing some 3-4kg would make me leaner and the muscle would show great.
    I keep lifting heavy twice per week and twice i do higher moderate repetitions.
    As i was lower than 1200 cal, I will definitely won't do it again. Will try to decrease calorie intake around some 100 per week, till i reach some 400cal deficit. And will be lowering calories only lowering carbs..