Girls ONLY :)

Options
Hi Ladies,

I need to get back on birth Control ( its been years ). I canot even remember the brand I took before. I know I do want the pill, but am weary of aside effects. I know the main one we all fear is the weight gain.

I would love to hear about some different kinds & why that kind works best for you.

Thanks in Advance!

Jenna

Replies

• simplyxaddicted
    simplyxaddicted Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    hey jenna:) I have been taking the same kind of birth control now for a long time,.. It is called Linessa 28... i love it .. no side effects no weight gain and cute little packaging!
  • emjprincess
    Options
    Hi there Jenna,

I took the pill too, for soooo many years and wanted to come off it, so I had a coil fitted. Suits me perfectly! I'm 'artificial hormone' free now! I would certainly recommend the coil (the one WITHOUT hormones!)

em xx
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I can't blame my pills for making me gain weight like some pills have, but I'm on Ortho-Novum 7/7/7

My sister was on Ortho- Trycyclen or something like that and it made her gain weight.
  • AngelaMiale
    Options
    I have the Mirena IUD- It didn't hurt to have it done, very quick at my OB/GYN office, it was FREE with my insurance, and I don't have to worry about birth control for 5 years. I don't even get periods anymore.

You can only do it if you have had kids. You can also have it removed within those 5 years if you change your mind.
  • musicjunkie1982
    Options
    I have been on the Depo shot for about 2 years now and I love it. I don't have to remember to take anything every day and I have a two week window in which to get it done. I choose the first possible day because I'm slightly paranoid, but to each their own. ;-)

I used to get periods that would soak through overnight pads in a matter of two hours and now I get what I call "panty liner periods" because one panty liner for one day is my period now. I get these "periods" about once every 4-6 months, too, not every month anymore.

I only gained about 2lbs on it, but that can vary from nothing to 10lbs from what I understand.

Good luck on your choice. Remember to do your own research and talk with your doctor. :-)
  • brittlynne3579
    brittlynne3579 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Hey girl, I take Yasmin (generic is Ocella). Don't confuse this with YAZ with all the scary commercials...its a different brand. I didn't gain any weight at all on mine and I've taken it for years. I tried Orthotricyclean and it is a very heavy dose of estrogen and gave me headaches. I tried Loestren and that was too low, causing spotting. Finally Yasmin was a good fit. Hope you find a good one!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Trycyclen 10+ years. No weight gain, no side effects.
  • TennVolsGal
    TennVolsGal Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Well just thought I would stick up for the Depo shot....tried the pill and always forgot to take it so have been on the Depo shot for gosh 7 years...anyway a long time. I am losing weight so I dont think it causes weight gain....my mouth does not my birth control.
    Tried to get the Miena IUD and I don't want to scare you but man that hurt. I think it may be because I haven't had kids but lets just say it was not put in successfully due to my screaming in the doctors office!! So I decided to stick with my good ole Depo shot.

Good luck!!
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Yasmin on it about 7 years, no weight gain and no side effects for me.
    Took dianette prior to that, and i reacted really badly to it.
  • danibabs
    danibabs Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm on Mirena too and absolutely love it. I had it put in in October.

You can have it though if you haven't had kids, it's just painful. I researched it alot before I had it put in and talked to my doctor and basically the pain varies from person to person. Some people say it's the worst pain they've ever experienced. It was pretty bad for me, though not THAT bad. And I was expecting a ripping tearing kind of pain but it was more like intense cramping. Plus if you're doctor gives you meds to help soften your cervix that helps alot.
  • MrsMills712
    Options
    I was on OrthoTriCyclen Lo for about 3 years, no side effects.
    I'm currently, for about the past 4 years been on the Walmart generic of OrthoTriCyclen, regular dose.
    It's $9 every month, and I've had no bad side effects with it either.
  • berv0009
    berv0009 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I take Microgestin fe -- seems to be just fine -- I have only lost weight since I was on it so I don't think you'd have to worry about that :)
  • Oddelly
    Oddelly Posts: 29
    Options
    Last year I had the arm implant put in (or 'progestogen-only subdermal contracpetive implant', brand name Implanon) which means a) I'm good for 3 years b) I don't have periods (some girls are weirded out by this but Iove it) c) if I ever decided I wanted kids I can have it taken out and am good in a week and most importantly d) never have to worry about taking a pill! I seriously recomend it as contraception. Got it free as I live in the UK, and didn't notice any weight gain, but if it does no more than the pill.

@MrsMills - is that a picture of dexter in your signature?
  • minervasp73
    Options
    Depo causes weight gain and depression. Not worth it !

I liked the Nuva Ring - my skin was great. I had a difficult time getting it correctly from pharmacies because they didn't seem to understand that it had to be refrigerated - but it was really great.
  • newmeat30
    newmeat30 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I have the Mirena IUD- It didn't hurt to have it done, very quick at my OB/GYN office, it was FREE with my insurance, and I don't have to worry about birth control for 5 years. I don't even get periods anymore.

You can only do it if you have had kids. You can also have it removed within those 5 years if you change your mind.

Love it!! $20 copay for me for the office visit. No weight gain or unwanted side effects.
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    I have to fourth the Mirena IUD. I absolutely love this thing. There was some cramping and a little bleeding after having it inserted but it's the best choice I could have ever made. I stopped having periods about 2 months after having it inserted (though I did have some breakthrough spotting) but it's like it's not even there.
  • kristi223
    kristi223 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm on Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo. I haven't had any weight gain or side effects. It gets the job done!!!
  • Brady_
    Brady_ Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I take yasmin to (oscella) and it works just fine :) itd like to blame weight gain on the pill, but its probably the pizza and chocolate i eat daily. but, no babies!!
  • BeckyJill7
    BeckyJill7 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Hey girl, I take Yasmin (generic is Ocella). Don't confuse this with YAZ with all the scary commercials...its a different brand. I didn't gain any weight at all on mine and I've taken it for years. I tried Orthotricyclean and it is a very heavy dose of estrogen and gave me headaches. I tried Loestren and that was too low, causing spotting. Finally Yasmin was a good fit. Hope you find a good one!

I've been on Yasmin for several years now too. No weight gain and it drastically helped alleviate my cramps. Very light periods that only last about 4 days. I love it.
  • vcatmb44
    vcatmb44 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    i take loestrin 24 been on it for many years works great