How many calories should I have/day?

Options
Hi, i am a 5'4'' female currently at 142 lbs. My goal weight is 110 lbs.
I used to be heavier (154 lbs) but followed a strict very low calorie diet with the help of a gastroenterologist and was eating about 800-900 calories a day. I lasted 2 months, was constipated and always hungry.
I would like to lose weight on my own without being so drastic in cutting calories but I am the type of person who needs to see results to stay motivated.
I can eat clean and great all day (protein-packed smoothies, salads, fish, etc.) but my greatest weakness comes at night when I usually BINGE on chocolate- probably 1000 calories worth. I think I have a sugar addiction and when night time comes I am frantically looking everywhere for any source of sugar.
I need help, I don't know where or how to start.
Thanks

Replies

• Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    My advice: eat more, don't cut out things that you love and don't restrict too much.

If you want to use MFP's calorie allotment, you should set it at a half pound loss per week. If you want another opinion, you can use this calculator (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/) with a 10-15% deficit to figure out what you should eat.

Also: BE PATIENT. If you want your weight loss to be a semi-enjoyable experience, eat a moderate deficit and don't cut out things you love.

Read these threads for more help:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • calebgummie
    calebgummie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You sound like me. I am also 5'4" 142 pounds. All day I can do great but at night I want sugar! I found what really helps my sugar cravings are fudgsicles. They are 40 calories but don't taste like it! Doesn't 110 seem a little too far? I have always been pretty solid arms, wrists etc and I think I would look like a walking skeleton if I weighed 110. 800 to 900 calories a day is too low your body cannot function properly on anything less than 1200. I also weigh myself once a week to stay motivated. It helps drive me to keep losing weight as long as I can keep seeing even slight progress once a week! Stay strong you can do it!
  • nwe312
    nwe312 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for your replies. Forty6and2- I just looked at both threads you recommended and they are very informative. Thanks!
    Calebgummie- I have never been 110 lbs before but I figure I just want to be very thin and never have to worry about belly fat showing or flabby arms. 10 years ago I used to be 123 lbs and while I looked great, I don't think I would have felt comfortable wearing a bikini at that weight.
    So maybe 10 lbs less will get me there.Once I get down to 120lbs, I will continue losing only if I feel that I need to, and only until I feel very happy with my body.
    I have been "fat" all my life. I want to be skinny for a change- and see what it feels like!
  • mistiblake08
    mistiblake08 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I was having problems like that so what I decided to do was have something semi-sweet first thing in the morning and it's been working great for me. I have apples and peanut butter or hazelnut spread before work with a snack around 9am. I've pretty much kept binges to a minimum doing this. It's worth a shot if you want to try it. The key is figuring out what works for you.
    ETA: I have 1580 calories a day and have lost 1-2 pounds successfully each week.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to be eating more than 800 cal/day. Your body needs fuel to function properly. I set my calorie goals based on how my progress is going. What I do and what I recommend to people is to eat at a calorie level that allows you to drop 1-2 lbs/week. This assumes an average calorie burn from you getting in all of your workouts. This will be different for everyone, so you'll have to do some trial and error to figure it out. I'd start ~1400 cal/day. Hit this goal, along with your macros and getting in your workouts, for a week. If you lose 1-2 lbs, you're good to go. If you lose too much, increase your intake and repeat. If you don't lose enough, reduce your intake a bit and repeat. After a few weeks, you'll figure out what works for you in your situation.

Also, 5-6 days/week of exercise is optimal if you want to see good and quick results. You can do it, it just takes time and consistency.

Allan
  • salgal33
    salgal33 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I find a good sugar fix for me is a little container of Italian ice. (luigi's) It is 100 calories and because its frozen, it takes me about 15 minutes to eat.
    By that time I feel like I have conquered my sugar craving.
    It's super simple to make your own too! I use my Vitamix, with ice and whatever fruit I have on hand. (sometimes I use frozen concentrate grape or orange juice)
    I think with a little experimenting you could come up with a chocolate protein shake that might help you wean a little.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Your goal weight seems low for your height. You might want to reconsider that--an unrealistic goal can lead to feelings of failure, making it harder for you to stay on track.

And as others have said, DO NOT do the VLCD thing. Bad, bad, bad.