What happens if you eat too much protein?

Options

Replies

• bcanderson123456
    bcanderson123456 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Actually it is .8 to 1.5 per pound not kilogram. The RDA is very low in their protein guidelines and are based on sedentary people, that are not really using their muscles. Protein is harder for your body to digest so it increases your metabolism to process the proteins, it rebuilds tissue and muscle after exercise and it makes you feel fuller than empty carbs. Yes you can eat any type of nutrient to excess, but MFP has very low protein levels unless you customize your values.
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Does anything bad happen if you eat too much protein in your diet but you are under your target calories, carbs, and fat?
    Thanks!

Nope... although too little and you can have hair loss... I aim for higher protein in my diet for a number of health reasons.

OK point the high protein diet, the Aitkin's Diet BUT a report was released that Aitkin's is safer for men in that many women who use this or one like it, tend to get kidney stones. I'm not sure if that was the high fat or the high protein or a combination of both or not. Any way it is a successful diet for many, so in my opinion it would be very hard to eat too much protein or enough to cause problems.
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    c15b2e604655aa94ce9fc11463a5cf7369ee8fb1aa4144e1534d300cde507f48.jpg
  • bigblondewolf
    bigblondewolf Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Actually it's not rubbish. Excess protein consumption CAN cause kidney problems. Don't dismiss this just because it doesn't fit your experience. It may not happen with everyone, but it can occur, especially in people who may have other health complications (which they may or may not be aware of) - which is many people on this site.

Edited to add: I agree that most people shouldn't have to worry about it - most people don't eat over 25-35% of calories from protein unless they're really trying... which is the higher end of the recommended consumption. That said, it's just not a good idea to outright dismiss the possibility of complications when they *can* happen.

^^ This. 100% agree. Most people don't have to worry unless they go on those ridiculous "all-meat" diets. But an extreme excess in protein can cause kidney stones and liver problems such as ketosis.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    It can cause kidney stones in some people.

I'm not sure that's true!
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    c15b2e604655aa94ce9fc11463a5cf7369ee8fb1aa4144e1534d300cde507f48.jpg

:laugh:
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Actually it's not rubbish. Excess protein consumption CAN cause kidney problems. Don't dismiss this just because it doesn't fit your experience. It may not happen with everyone, but it can occur, especially in people who may have other health complications (which they may or may not be aware of) - which is many people on this site.

Edited to add: I agree that most people shouldn't have to worry about it - most people don't eat over 25-35% of calories from protein unless they're really trying... which is the higher end of the recommended consumption. That said, it's just not a good idea to outright dismiss the possibility of complications when they *can* happen.

^^ This. 100% agree. Most people don't have to worry unless they go on those ridiculous "all-meat" diets. But an extreme excess in protein can cause kidney stones and liver problems such as ketosis.

Not sure ketosis is a liver problem. lol
  • Luv2eatSweets
    Luv2eatSweets Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm completely new to the whole protein intake. I'm pescatarian which makes it a bit tough sometimes to find sources of protein. Actually I shouldn't say that...it's a case of running out of ideas. The last week I bought a protein powder. I did invest in some bars as well. I asked a couple of folks if it is ok for me to take them without a lot of exercise, as long as I stayed within my calories. (The reason I can't exercise as well as the average person is due to a prosthetic that I am still getting used to.) They all said yes thats fine. Soo anywho I spent all day yesterday feeling like I needed to give birth to something ungodly huge. It still hasn't budged. I'm drinking tons of water hoping that it will sort it's way out. Now this is my experience with the added protein...I'm not saying it will happen to everyone, but I did want to put it out there that it can happen.
  • bigblondewolf
    Options

Never said it was a problem with your liver. Ketosis is caused by the liver's reaction to the diet.

" During prolonged fasting or starvation, or as the intentional result of a ketogenic diet, acetyl-CoA in the liver is used to produce ketone bodies instead, leading to a state of ketosis."
  • Mbierschbach
    Mbierschbach Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    . I'm pescatarian

Pray tell.........why?
  • Luv2eatSweets
    Options
    . I'm pescatarian

Pray tell.........why?

Well when I was young my parents owned a farm. I didn't have the stomach to watch animals getting butchered.
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I'm completely new to the whole protein intake. I'm pescatarian which makes it a bit tough sometimes to find sources of protein. Actually I shouldn't say that...it's a case of running out of ideas. The last week I bought a protein powder. I did invest in some bars as well. I asked a couple of folks if it is ok for me to take them without a lot of exercise, as long as I stayed within my calories. (The reason I can't exercise as well as the average person is due to a prosthetic that I am still getting used to.) They all said yes thats fine. Soo anywho I spent all day yesterday feeling like I needed to give birth to something ungodly huge. It still hasn't budged. I'm drinking tons of water hoping that it will sort it's way out. Now this is my experience with the added protein...I'm not saying it will happen to everyone, but I did want to put it out there that it can happen.

There's a lot of protein in fish. It's ok for you to take protein supplements even if you aren't exercising much. Just make it fit into your calorie goals. When I first started eating more protein, I felt like I was going to die from an abundance of nuclear powered toxic wasteland style farts. It started taking over my entire life. You're body gets used to it, I just ate a little less and gradually worked my way up to how much I currently eat.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Never said it was a problem with your liver. Ketosis is caused by the liver's reaction to the diet.

" During prolonged fasting or starvation, or as the intentional result of a ketogenic diet, acetyl-CoA in the liver is used to produce ketone bodies instead, leading to a state of ketosis."

Sorry, my mistake I read - 'liver problems such as ketosis' as ' liver problems such as ketosis'.

I see where I went wrong. :smile:

Also how does protein cause kidney stones?
  • GameGirl777
    GameGirl777 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    From my personal experience: more protein = more gas

:ohwell:
  • Luv2eatSweets
    Options

There's a lot of protein in fish. It's ok for you to take protein supplements even if you aren't exercising much. Just make it fit into your calorie goals. When I first started eating more protein, I felt like I was going to die from an abundance of nuclear powered toxic wasteland style farts. It started taking over my entire life. You're body gets used to it, I just ate a little less and gradually worked my way up to how much I currently eat.

Thank you yes I know the protein in fish is good. But in all honesty, I get bored of fish some days to the point that I don't won't to eat any. So that is why I bought the powder. Just as a back up plan for when I wasn't in the mood to eat as much. The farts??....oh well I'm married. If he isn't used to them after 34 years, then that's his problem:wink:
  • FitnessLover001
    FitnessLover001 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    wooooah, a 150lb person only needs 52g of protein??? I thought you needed one gram of protein per each pound of body weight. So a 150lb person should get at least 150g of protein….
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    wooooah, a 150lb person only needs 52g of protein??? I thought you needed one gram of protein per each pound of body weight. So a 150lb person should get at least 150g of protein….
    its more around .9, and its per pound of lean mass, not total mass (total mass-mass of fat on body)
  • bigblondewolf
    Options

Sorry, my mistake I read - 'liver problems such as ketosis' as ' liver problems such as ketosis'.

Ignoring the sarcasm, I'll provide a link from the Harvard health blog.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/5-steps-for-preventing-kidney-stones-201310046721

"Limit animal protein: Eating too much animal protein, such as red meat, poultry, eggs, and seafood, boosts the level of uric acid and could lead to kidney stones. A high-protein diet also reduces levels of citrate, the chemical in urine that helps prevent stones from forming. If you’re prone to stones, limit your daily meat intake to a quantity that is no bigger than a pack of playing cards. This is also a heart-healthy portion."
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options

Most protein bars have whey and/or casein as the protein source. Both are milk products that may not fit in with pescatarian ideals. Vegetarian protein powders (eg. rice, soy, hemp) would work for your dietary choice. There are also vegetarian protein snacks available at health food stores. You can supplement with protein either powder, bars, or snacks anytime with or without the exercise. The bars are a somewhat healthier choice than a regular chocolate bar but pay attention to the carb:protein ratio otherwise you are just eating a glorified candy bar. You could try adding 2 to 4 prunes daily to your diet to help with the extra protein.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

Ignoring the sarcasm, I'll provide a link from the Harvard health blog.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/5-steps-for-preventing-kidney-stones-201310046721

"Limit animal protein: Eating too much animal protein, such as red meat, poultry, eggs, and seafood, boosts the level of uric acid and could lead to kidney stones. A high-protein diet also reduces levels of citrate, the chemical in urine that helps prevent stones from forming. If you’re prone to stones, limit your daily meat intake to a quantity that is no bigger than a pack of playing cards. This is also a heart-healthy portion."

I had kidney stones once, the only advice the doctors gave me on that is more water, they didn't delve into my diet and tell me to reduce/remove, change anything with what I ate.

I'll take my urologists advice. Now I drink way more water, no way I want to go through that again.

ETA : I eat way more meat than a quantity no bgger than a pack of playing cards