Supplements

Options
My husband is concerned with how many "pills" I take throughout the day. This is what I take:

Morning
-Probiotic
-Fish oil
-Multi-vitamin
-Calcium with Vitamin D

Mid-day
-Calcium with Vitamin D
-Magnesium

Evening
-Probiotic
-Priolosec (prescribed)

I don't have the dosages with me. But what do you all think? Too much?

Thanks!

Replies

• in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I would only take what a test showed I needed, I try to get everything from food and drink. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    You CAN overdo dosages on vitamins and minerals.

90% of supplements aren't needed if one is eating correctly. Nutrient dense foods resolve the need for supplementation.

Probiotics haven't been found to do much at all. Find a good peer reviewed clinical study showing they do cause I'd like to read it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    does not seem excessive to me, but then again I have a medical condition that necessitates 6 pills a day all on its own, and I take a couple of supplements as well. I'd personally tell your hubby that if his concern is based on his feeeeeelings rather than science; until he can show PROOF (with science not blogs and HuffPo articles and the like) that it is somehow harmful, that he ought to just stuff it. But I'm feeling rather feisty today.

ETA: then again if you're not noticing definite benefits and YOU are going on assumptions of benefit and feeeeeelings, maybe you also ought to look into the science of if they are actually beneficial, because that could add up to a nice whack of money that you may or may not be essentially chucking down the toilet.

Ultimately it is up to you, I suppose.
  • kruch1006
    kruch1006 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Is there a specific reason you are taking those certain supplements?
    If there are reasons behind them, it's not too much, but if you are just taking them because you think you "need" them based on fad diets, tv doctors, unfactual research, or ignorance, then I would suggest reevaluating needs.
  • epodcaster
    Options
    I am no expert, but in my own quest for health and fitness, here is what I have discovered. The amount of supplements anyone takes is really dependent on their bodies unique needs. I had blood work done, answered a health assessment which looked at my overall health, average physical activity and my meals to come up with the type and quantity of supplements my body needed. One thing that was interesting to discover was that while the practice of taking fish oil supplements is seen as a blanket nutritional need, it was discovered that in my body fish oil actually works against me. Which is why it is really important to know what specific supplements your body needs and what it doesn't need. Best of luck to you on your continued journey towards health. Cheers!
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

90% of supplements aren't needed if one is eating correctly. Nutrient dense foods resolve the need for supplementation.

Probiotics haven't been found to do much at all. Find a good peer reviewed clinical study showing they do cause I'd like to read it.

IDEA Fitness member

Cosign.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Every day I take a vitamin D supplement because I have been diagnosed via blood test with a severe deficiency, and a fish oil supplement because I know omega 3 is something my diet specifically lacks. I also take a hair/skin/nails vitamin and a multi vitamin in the morning just because, and then a B-12 mid-day, and sometimes I pop a fiber gummy or two. Since I'm consuming moderate/recommended doses of everything I figure the worst thing I'm doing to myself is wasting money and creating expensive pee. So, your list doesn't seem excessive to me at all, as long as your doses are reasonable and your brands are reputable.
  • janda060708
    janda060708 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I take the Probiotic because my doctor had given them to me to try. I have IBS and GERD, so supposedly they going to help. I haven't noticed a difference yet. Is there a benefit to Probiotics?

During the same visit, he said to keep taking my supplements since they were a good dosage. The Prilosec decreases the absorbancy of all these supplements so I think that could be why he was okay with it.

I've always taken a multi-vitamin.

The fish oil - because I eat fish maybe once a month, so I know I'm not getting my Omegas

I take the Calcium because I'm lactose-intolerant, so I'm not getting the calcium I need from food.

The magnesium is also to aid in my many digestive issues (recommended by my doctor as well)
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Cosign.

Stamped and approved.
  • janda060708
    janda060708 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I don't want to take all of these supplements anymore. (I have to take the Prilosec) Are any of these a MUST keep? Otherwise, I think I'll ditch them . . . .
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I check in the evening on myfitnesspal how my micro nutrients for the day are and if needed I take one multivitamin.
    Stef.