Ranch dip vs Mayo, queso vs cheese

Options
ldarlener
ldarlener Posts: 79 Member
Most mayonaises I have found has about 90 calories in 1 TBSP, Lays Ranch dip has 60 in 2 TBSP.
So I have started using a little ranch on my sandwiches in place of mayo, and using about 1 TBSP to dip my carrots in.

While in the grocery I thought about looking at Queso. Spreading a little queso on my sandwiches in place of using a whole slice of cheese.

Do you have any good substitute ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• sandmama
    sandmama Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I Love, Love, Love a 35 calorie Laughing Cow Cheese wedge on my sandwiches as a spread. One wedge is the perfect size.
  • BoatsnHose
    BoatsnHose Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to lose weight, neither mayo or ranch dressing will help.

You need to go with mustard.
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options

Not necessarily. If OP accurately measures the amount of mayo/ranch consumed, she can easily fit it into her goals.
  • DrLainey
    DrLainey Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Borden has a 2% American slice with only 50 calories. Also, most lite mayos are only about 50 calories. Unless you are using a lite ranch dressing, you are getting about 200 calories a serving.
  • ldarlener
    ldarlener Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm not using Ranch Dressing. I'm using Lays Ranch Dip which is 60 calories for 2 TBSP. And I use about 1/4 teaspoon. Just enough to taste.
    Thank you, I wasn't asking for judgement calls.
    I was wondering if anyone else had any substitutions they liked and would offer suggestions, not particularly mayonaise.
    But just sub ideas for foods. Maybe I wasn't clear.
  • history_grrrl
    history_grrrl Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I switched to half-fat mayo and found it tastes exactly the same (unlike 0% sour cream, which is terrible). Also, hummus is good for dipping/spreads.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options

Please tell me you're being facetious, There is nothing wrong with a little mayo while cutting.

Eat all the foodz.

Rigger
  • nicolen160
    nicolen160 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'm not using Ranch Dressing. I'm using Lays Ranch Dip which is 60 calories for 2 TBSP. And I use about 1/4 teaspoon. Just enough to taste.
    Thank you, I wasn't asking for judgement calls.
    I was wondering if anyone else had any substitutions they liked and would offer suggestions, not particularly mayonaise.
    But just sub ideas for foods. Maybe I wasn't clear.
    Don't let people get to you, they like to judge, I just overlook it. If it fits in yours calories then eat it and you will still lose weight. I eat whatever I want and have lost 133lbs. :)
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options

Try again.
  • woodml1
    woodml1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I make my own ranch dip out of greek yogurt and dry ranch seasoning. It is... YUMMY!

Come to think of it... Greek Yogurt is my go to swap for just about anything. I replace it for mayo in tuna and chicken salad, use it in place of cream for curries and stews, and for dips like the aforementioned ranch dip or even french onion dip.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I like fresh avocado instead of mayo since it gives a creamy feel to the sandwich.

I have started using mustard instead and have come to prefer it, but still sometimes use a bit of mayo. I tried the Olive Oil stuff but it didn't taste right. I'd get Miracle Whip but my husband complains (sigh).

However, you can't beat French fries with mayo and malt vinegar...

For cheese I just look for a 2%. I don't like American cheese/Velveetas though.
  • Illini_Jim
    Illini_Jim Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Lays Ranch Dip-

Ingredients: WATER, SUNFLOWER AND/OR CANOLA OIL, WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, MODIFIED STARCH (MADE FROM TAPIOCA), AND LESS THAN 2% OF THE FOLLOWING: SALT, SUGAR, MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE, NATURAL FLAVORS, GLUCONO DELTA LACTONE, DATEM, GARLIC POWDER, LACTIC ACID, SPICES (INCLUDING PARSLEY), POTASSIUM SORBATE (PRESERVATIVE), XANTHAN GUM, ONION POWDER, AND SODIUM ASCORBATE (ANTIOXIDANT).

I’m not a “clean eater” by any means, but that ingredient list is brutal.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I switched to half-fat mayo and found it tastes exactly the same (unlike 0% sour cream, which is terrible). Also, hummus is good for dipping/spreads.

Light Best Foods mayo does NOT taste the same as regular Best Foods. I cut calories elsewhere.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,677 Member
    Options
    Classic homemade ranch is mostly buttermilk which is very low in cals with just a touch of high fat mayo and sour cream. Give this recipe a try and use the lowest amount of mayo and sour cream.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/19/ranch-dressing-recipe_n_3769342.html
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    Is there a difference in cheese and queso? Because personally I prefer fromage to either.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Borden has a 2% American slice with only 50 calories. Also, most lite mayos are only about 50 calories. Unless you are using a lite ranch dressing, you are getting about 200 calories a serving.

Pardon me while I have heart palpitations, but this is NOT cheese.

*crying*
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Lays Ranch Dip-

Ingredients: WATER, SUNFLOWER AND/OR CANOLA OIL, WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, MODIFIED STARCH (MADE FROM TAPIOCA), AND LESS THAN 2% OF THE FOLLOWING: SALT, SUGAR, MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE, NATURAL FLAVORS, GLUCONO DELTA LACTONE, DATEM, GARLIC POWDER, LACTIC ACID, SPICES (INCLUDING PARSLEY), POTASSIUM SORBATE (PRESERVATIVE), XANTHAN GUM, ONION POWDER, AND SODIUM ASCORBATE (ANTIOXIDANT).

I’m not a “clean eater” by any means, but that ingredient list is brutal.

OMG! IT SPECIFIES PARSLEY! YOU'RE GOING TO DIE!! NOOOOOOO!!!!!
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I Love, Love, Love a 35 calorie Laughing Cow Cheese wedge on my sandwiches as a spread. One wedge is the perfect size.

^^this love laughing cow. I also don't used sour cream anymore I use Greek yogurt or avocado

Tonight I used some laughing cow light Swiss for my chicken cord on blue.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i, too, use greek yogurt or avocado as a spread, sometimes with a half teaspoon of no-salt mustard, and sometimes i use trader joe's light mayo. i love sargento's light swiss and light medium cheddar (yum!), and a slice is well under 100 calories. i can't wait to try light laughing cow as a spread - that sounds sooo yummy!
  • AzaleaNicole38
    AzaleaNicole38 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I use hummus that is 90 cals for 2 tbsp which is enough to spread on two slices of bread. They come in different flavours like jalepeno, roasted garlic, onion etc. I believe you can also make your own hummus.

But if you're looking for 0 cals, mustard is the way to go.