Cleveland Diet

Options
I was wondering if anyone has tried the Cleveland Diet? My friend is doing it, and I was thinking about trying it out. Most everything that I've read says that it really works... but I would like to get anyone's advice on this site before I go ahead!

Replies

• abbysns
    Options
    What is the Cleveland Diet?
  • atucker0821
    atucker0821 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    i googled it but i don't think i could do it...namely because coffee is nasty to me...lol...

i'm going more for something i can stick to forever...healthy foods i actually enjoy...that says you are only supposed to do it for 3 days...

once you go back to normal eating what is going to keep the weight off?
  • sweetnessnc73
    Options
    You're absolutely right Amanda, but you can have coffee, tea, or water.... and you can't exercise during those 3 days because you're not taking in enough calories. On the other 4 days, you are supposed to eat sensibly and exercise. The diet was basically made for quick weight loss, but not to be used consistently. It's supposed to cleanse you. I might try it right before Mardi Gras.... still not sure yet if its enough to help me feel full during the day.
  • sweetnessnc73
    Options
    It's a diet designed to help you lose 10 pounds in 3 days. It has a meal plan that you have to follow to a tee, and by the end of 3 days, you should lose up to 10 pounds depending on your weight. If you google it, it should come up as the first link.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    If you could copy-paste it here for us to check out that would be great. I can't google right now, something weird with my internet, the search function is gone. Luckily MFP was in my favourites here at work so I can still find some sites that way.

Thanks!
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    i googled it but i don't think i could do it...namely because coffee is nasty to me...lol...

i'm going more for something i can stick to forever...healthy foods i actually enjoy...that says you are only supposed to do it for 3 days...

once you go back to normal eating what is going to keep the weight off?

I agree , most of these quick fix diets are just that when you go back to eating "normaly " it goes back on plus some in my experiance..

better to make life style changes!
  • sweetnessnc73
    Options
    Here is the menu for the three day diet... I can't understand how any of this can be bad for you because it's food that is good for you. Yes, after the three days, you could put the pounds back on if you don't eat sensibly and exercise.

Day One

Breakfast

Black coffee or tea (Sweet & Low or Equal) or water
    1/2 Grapefruit or Juice
    1 slice toast with 1 Tbsp. Peanut Butter

Lunch

1/2 Cup of Tuna
    1 slice toast

Dinner

3 oz. any lean meat
    1 cup green beans
    1 cup carrots
    1 cup vanilla ice cream
    1 medium apple

Day Two

Breakfast

1 egg (any style)
    1 slice toast
    1 banana

Lunch

1 cup cottage cheese or tuna
    5 saltine crackers

Dinner

2 beef franks or hot dogs
    1/2 cup carrots
    1 banana
    1 cup broccoli or cabbage
    1/2 cup vanilla ice cream

Day Three
    Breakfast

5 regular saltine crackers
    1 oz. (slice) cheddar cheese
    1 apple

Lunch

1 hard boiled egg
    1 slice toast

Dinner

1 cup tuna
    1 cup carrots
    1 cup cauliflower
    1 cup melon
    1/2 cup regular vanilla ice cream
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting it!

It's all normal foods, it’s not almost no-carb like the grapefruit diet (grapefruit is your only carb on that one) and has more protein than juice/smoothie diets so other than it being very reduced calorie (without plugging it in it looks about 800-900 cals a day) the food items themselves are fine. For just 3 days you can’t do much harm but you may not have enough energy to workout. Also, after eating so few calories for 3 days you may be tempted to bindge on the 4th so beware.

You are probably best to just stick to your regular MFP plan balancing carbs/protein/fat as best you can. I lost 4lbs in one week right after Christmas just putting a stop to all the junk. It wasn’t real 4lbs of course but it showed you how much food just sat in my system b/c the sugar made me too lethargic to workout and nothing had fiber in it to move it out.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    This sounds very like a diet sheet that's been passed round in the UK since the early 80's. Supposedly it came from the 'Heart Foundation'.
    It's been debunked by many nutritionist here as having far to much salt (sodium) to be healthy. Basically it's just yet another crash diet that will work in the short term but any weight loss will be put straight back on.