random bruises?

Options
jenniferv38
jenniferv38 Posts: 44 Member
Hello....I've been counting calories on MFP and going to the gym for almost eight weeks. Since I've started losing weight, I've been noticing random bruises on my arms, legs, and stomach. I'm not hard core at the gym at all (elliptical on days I feel like a superstar and the stationary bike on days I feel like a slug). I wouldn't consider myself a clumsy person and, up until now, I rarely bruised (even when I thought for sure a bone must be broken). So...what do you think? Is it a nutritional thing? Should I get checked for some horrible rare disease? Thanks :)

Replies

• Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Maybe get bloodwork done if you are concerned but I'm the girl who gets bruises and I'm like "omg wonder where that's from..."
  • thirteeninches
    thirteeninches Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Do you take any medicine like Aleve, Ibuprofen based, or aspirin on a daily basis? If so, it could be related to that. Those kinds of drugs (nsaids) cause people to bruise easily. Or it could be something as simple as you are still building balance and are bumping into things when you are not aware of it. It is possible, even if you are getting all of your macros and micros, your hemoglobin could be low. I wouldn't panic unless the bruises are prolific and many, but if it makes you nervous-go see a doctor and ask to have labs done. That's a good idea when going on a diet plan anyway.
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I would try to pay attention to whether or not you are actually bumping into things hard enough to cause bruising for a few days. If you are not, definitely go see your doctor.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    If it is concerning, see your doctor. There are some nutritional variables. Garlic can thin the blood. Medications were already mentioned. Low hemoglobin could be caused by a few things such as low iron. Do NOT supplement iron without blood work to back it up though. The body does not get rid of excess and can become toxin.

I have always bruised easily and don't think much of it. With this being new to you, I can understand the concern. Blood work is the best way to figure it out.
  • jenniferv38
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it. Now that someone mentioned it, I think it might be Ibuprofen. I have pretty bad arthritis in my knees and have been taking prescription strength ibuprofen. I rarely took it before I started working out but now that I have been going to the gym 5-6 times a week, I've been taking them on nights where my knees are screaming (maybe 3 times a week). I'm not taking it as much as I was when I first started working out. Thanks to the gym, my knees have gotten stronger and the pain is slowly lessening. I knew NSAIDS could cause bruising but I didn't put two and two together. Thank you!!
  • JengaJess
    JengaJess Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I struggle with getting enough iron in my diet and border on being anemic. I bruise so easily. Maybe you could look into getting your iron levels tested. Plus if you're taking blood thinners on top of being anemic, that might leave you even more susceptible to bruising.
  • thirteeninches
    thirteeninches Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Keep working those muscles and really glad to hear your arthritis is improving with your strength training. It is smart you are sticking to elliptical rather than high impact, too.

My mother has advanced arthritis and is currently in a rehab facility getting intense physical therapy. One thing they do before she is put on the treadmill is they wrap her knees in a hot, wet compress for 15-20 minutes. The heat loosens up the knee joint and makes it possible for her to walk longer. Maybe something like that will help you pre-workout?

Oh and edited to add, while you are taking prescription strength nsaids it can't hurt to also take zantac otc. Depending upon the strength of nsaid you are taking the 75-150 mg of zantac will help prevent problems with the wearing of your intestinal tract or stomach lining when taking the nsaids. Sorry if I am getting too preachy or if you already know this, but nsaids can be very dangerous, even when taken correctly. I watched my mom suffer from it.

Anyway, I'll shut up now. :D
  • MissNayMalmoe
    MissNayMalmoe Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It very well could be the Ibuprofen, but to be safe, I would go have labs drawn to find out if you have any vitamin deficiencies. One thing you don't want to have happen is to have worked so hard and deplete your body of what it needs and become less healthy.

I had what looked to be bruise splattered paint all up and down my legs. It ended up I was deficient again in a few areas and taking the Ibuprofen was making the bruising worse. I had to up my iron, my vitamin K, get vitamin B injections, and vitamin D and eventually they disappeared.

Also, excellent work on keeping at it for eight weeks so far! Good on you!
  • jenniferv38
    Options
    Keep working those muscles and really glad to hear your arthritis is improving with your strength training. It is smart you are sticking to elliptical rather than high impact, too.

My mother has advanced arthritis and is currently in a rehab facility getting intense physical therapy. One thing they do before she is put on the treadmill is they wrap her knees in a hot, wet compress for 15-20 minutes. The heat loosens up the knee joint and makes it possible for her to walk longer. Maybe something like that will help you pre-workout?

Oh and edited to add, while you are taking prescription strength nsaids it can't hurt to also take zantac otc. Depending upon the strength of nsaid you are taking the 75-150 mg of zantac will help prevent problems with the wearing of your intestinal tract or stomach lining when taking the nsaids. Sorry if I am getting too preachy or if you already know this, but nsaids can be very dangerous, even when taken correctly. I watched my mom suffer from it.

Anyway, I'll shut up now. :D

Not preachy at all! Thank you very much :)