binging

Options
LKM54
LKM54 Posts: 48 Member
I would like to find a group, maybe there is one already on here, that struggles with binging. i have had a food disorder most of my life but have healed about 70%. I use food as my comfort, friend, etc. etc. etc. I binged today, actually just now. I know all the reasons why so that doesn't really matter. I really want to do this losing weight this time. I have piddled around for about 10 years and now I want to lose the weight. I don't want to use food to manage it all.

I am a 53 year old female through the change and that adds its own issues. I refuse to starve so I am one of the ones on here doing higher calorie intake. I am okay with losing slow and steady but I want to lose. I don't want to do this for 3 weeks, which is what I tend to do, and then I quit.

I am not really sure how community can help. I notice on a lot of threads they become more of a coffee clutch or cliquey. That is not helpful for me. I already have coffee clutches. If that is all I need for support and motivation, I would not be on here.

if anyone else is struggling with the same issues and has an idea of how we can use this forum to really help each other towards our goals and help each other not to use food and stay on the program please chime in.

Replies

• nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    There is a binge eating disorder group

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/726-binge-eating-support-group

The members of that group will be kind and supportive of your efforts. Much moreso than the general forums.

As someone in recovery for BED, I wish you the best.
  • LKM54
    Options
    Thanks! I will put my post over there. I am trying to figure out how this forum can actually help me. So far, i have not figured it out.
  • CarolinkaCjj
    CarolinkaCjj Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Read some posts, find someone with common goals and send them a friend request - tell them a little about yourself. Be ready to support them and they will support you. I find that the folks on my FL are much more motivating than the forums. (I would start with that nice Nancy10272004 lady - she kindly directed you to the support group and appears to be knowledgeable about BED)
  • LKM54
    Options
    I already did, thanks. What is FL?
  • CarolinkaCjj
    CarolinkaCjj Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Friend List. That is where I get the bulk of my motivation. If you go to "My home" you can post updates and there are automatic updates when you finishing logging for the day or do some exercise. My friends read my diary, critique it and give really good advice. There are a small group that I can rely on to help me stay the course and I value all of their input. Some have the same goals (50 somethings with about 100 pounds to lose), some have made it through (one has lost 144 pounds, another over 80) and some are totally different (20 year old with only 30 pounds to lose) - it takes all kinds.
  • LKM54
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I have been on here for at least a year or two. I stay on my food plan for about 3 weeks and then chuck it. I have not used the forms or community until just lately. IT seemed some I joined were more like coffee clutches. Nothing wrong with that but I wanted to focus on the food and weight. I know at the end of the day, I have to do it. In the past, when young, just went on the diet, lost the weight, the end. Has not been like that for a longgg time. I am okay with my body actually which makes it harder. I would like to lose the weight to find better clothes. I am healthy so it isn't a health issue. In any case, thanks for the input. I am really invested in doing it this time so hopefully this will all help.
  • Sarahsteve7kids
    Sarahsteve7kids Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    The past 6 weeks have been with out any binges for me! YIPEEE!!! I give myself a strict 8400 calories per week! Isn't do daily so if lunch is bigger no worries or stress or need to binge! This way works for me! Much luck!
  • nancy10272004
    Options
    Friend List. That is where I get the bulk of my motivation. If you go to "My home" you can post updates and there are automatic updates when you finishing logging for the day or do some exercise. My friends read my diary, critique it and give really good advice. There are a small group that I can rely on to help me stay the course and I value all of their input. Some have the same goals (50 somethings with about 100 pounds to lose), some have made it through (one has lost 144 pounds, another over 80) and some are totally different (20 year old with only 30 pounds to lose) - it takes all kinds.

I couldn't agree more about relying on friends for support. When friends see another friend having a hard time of it (or a really happy time) we can message each other privately or comment publicly -- anything to show that we care
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    Will power.
  • dmtgardner
    Options
    Have you tried a support group for food addiction that works the 12 steps?
    Y out might want to try OA, Food Addicts Anonymous in Recovery or Food Addicts Anonymous.
    They can be f found by a Google search.
    Food Addicts Anonymous in Recovery even has an on line diagnostic set of questions.
    I am a 30 year member of AA..am a recovered pill addict but did it in AA but my first addiction was food and I still struggle.But I am thin.. I also exercise and have done 3 Half marathons...I am 66..
    My best suggestion..go to 6 meetings of one of these groups and see if it helps.
    Food addiction is the toughest because hey baby..we gotta eat.

My personal solution has been a fat free vegan food plan. And the 12 Steps..no other resource like AA or similar programs on earth.
    Might want to check out Dr John McDougall and his website. Bill Clinton became a fat free vegan after his last bypass ..this food plan was his answer ..McDougall s book is The Starch Solution
    Hope some of this was helpful.
    Best,
    Dianne Gardner
  • nancy10272004
    Options
    Will power.

Has nothing to do with true binge eating or binge eating disorder. Would you say that to someone with anorexia or bulimia?
  • dmtgardner
    Options
    Non addicts don't get it..ignorance
  • cwoyto123
    Options
    Will power.

Has nothing to do with true binge eating or binge eating disorder. Would you say that to someone with anorexia or bulimia?
    You're kidding right?

Is someone holding a gun to your head forcing you to binge?

Excuses, lol.
  • dmtgardner
    Options
    Ok guys..pissing contest here...bulimia is a serious illness and a killer...try reading up on it and it's all easy when you are 18..call me back when you are in your 50s
    Give the lady a break..try a little compassion....she was asking for help..
  • cwoyto123
    Options
    Ok guys..pissing contest here...bulimia is a serious illness and a killer...try reading up on it and it's all easy when you are 18..call me back when you are in your 50s
    Okay, I will help.

Eat the recommended 1500~ calories a day for your TDEE.

Don't eat less, don't eat more.

You binge because you deprive your body of food.

Craving pizza? Fit it in to your 1500 calorie a day TDEE.
  • dmtgardner
    Options
    I agree that there has to be a plan of eating and serious resolve..but as along term recovered prescription drug addict....I was into pills before pills were cool....almost 30 years in AA...and a recovered bulimic who still struggles...there is a component in food addiction that is different that just doing some occasional overeating....and I agree starving and binging makes it worse
    Thanks for making a good suggestion
    Trust me honey..none of us that are old now ever thought we would..it's very startling...
    Enjoy your youth.it's all harder over 40..and really hard over 60..
    And I am now way way over 40 ..but I walk 3 miles daily, am a fat free vegan, work out 3 times weekly and am training for my 4th half marathon..and am 66..
    Hope the other lady gets some support
    Sorry to be so cranky:)
  • dmtgardner
    Options
    One more suggestion..walk an hour a day..join a track club..commit to a 5k..many of them are for worthy causes..the first time I ran across a finish line I was hooked... and I was in my mind 50s...and a great advantage to being over 65 is you are gonna win something because there are so few women who still run or hell..even walk over 65...and lots of overweight women run..it's a good way to start...and better than a xanax to relax
  • nancy10272004
    Options
    Okay, I will help.

Eat the recommended 1500~ calories a day for your TDEE.

Don't eat less, don't eat more.

You binge because you deprive your body of food.

Craving pizza? Fit it in to your 1500 calorie a day TDEE.

Binge eating disorder is classified as an eating disorder in the DSM-V. Feel free to read about it here

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/binge-eating-disorder

It's not just eating too much or staying away from pizza. It's as serious as any other eating disorder. If you can't take it seriously, please don't try to shame people who are in treatment or need treatment and support into thinking they can just get better by putting the fork down.
  • LKM54
    Options
    Nancy, I am actually a counselor and very familiar with the DSM, which I hate. So, I appreciate the suggestion but I cringe at the DSM 5 and have been incredibly disappointed in what has happened to the mental health field.

I believe we can heal of anything including food disorders it just really hard. I have come a long way and did so many things, therapy, prayer, overcoming overeating. The biggest thing I can recommend is tuning out our insane dysfunctional society and the myopic ridiculous conversations we hear about fat verses thin. It is really hard to do especially for women. It angers me greatly and I really feel for the young girls of today.