Team Weigh vs Team Measure ?

Options
Which team are you on ? I've found that with some foods (ie chips) The serving may be X grams, meaning X chips... But to meet the X grams you need to add, subract (or even -gasp- break) chips to get the number right. Which also includes evening out the chips so there's no pile.

Other foods, You might weight and think "no way in H311, is that one serving" because it looks too small !

Replies

• 120by30
    120by30 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Team weigh all the way! I've never had that problem with weighing chips. I've never really had aroblem weighing anything.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,088 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I'm on one team or the other - I do weigh most items. But things like bananas or mandarines or other fruit I just call one small or medium item, every half a carrot is just half a carrot, I don't weigh it.
    If a packet of muesli bars says each one is, say, 50g - I just bar code it in as one serving, I don't weigh it to see if it is really 52g. Same with slices of bread and packets of chips.

I know some people like to be more accurate but this works for me.
  • TechNerd42
    TechNerd42 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    If you are breaking chips to make it fit the serving size, then you may be going a bit farther than necessary. if it's a gram or so off, and you want to be completely accurate, eat the whole chip and count the extra gram - serving of Lay's is 28 grams. I pour 30 grams out of the bag. Ok. I can either record 28 grams (and assume the 5 calorie overage will be absorbed by a miscalculation on something else, or I put it down as the full 30g (1.07 servings, thereabouts). Either way, I go on with my day. And I even weigh liquids - a cup of water is about 237g. The salad dressing I use is about 14g per tbsp (which makes sense, it's italian/oil based), A cup of skim milk is about 249ish. At some point I'll probably add a tab to my meal calculation spreadsheet (I use it to calculate serving sizes from pre to post-cooked weight) that just contains the weight of liquids per cup so I don't have to keep measuring when I forget.

Heck, today was a peanut butter out of the jar kind of day (yay for a scale that goes below zero) and I didn't feel like making sure the spoon held a multiple of 32, so I just divided what I actually ate by the serving size, recorded it, and went on with life. (Which consisted of Skyrim, lots of Skyrim.)
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    For the most part I weigh solids (yes I've been known to break a chip) I measure liquids (milk, juice etc) and if it is prepackaged, I bar scan it for whatever it is. I am not weighing my granola/protein bar - the scale at work isn't as accurate as the one at home anyway - but at least its close. (springy one vs. digital at home)
  • thepandapost
    thepandapost Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I will definitely weigh solid items, like cheese....and measure liquid items, like milk.
  • Rancerox
    Rancerox Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yep; depends on the item. Packaged food (single serving), I take as labeled. Packaged food (multiple), I weigh it out. Meat is weighed always.

Single fruit / begetable, I just enter as is, by size. Groups, like spinach or kale, I keep as a cup.

I'm still at a stage where exact measurements have not impeded my weight loss. I know once I get closer to my overall goal and the average loss amount decreases significantly, I won't be able to "guestimate" as much. At that time, I will weigh everything.