Focus on health FIRST, weight second.

Options
When I started on MFP, I had 100 pounds to lose. I have worked hard and have lost almost 50 pounds in the past few months, which is wonderful; however, the number on the scale is not the true measure of my success.

I eat nutritious foods, exercise regularly, and drink a lot of water. No magic formula, no extreme dieting, just healthy decisions and healthy actions.

By no means am I an expert about weight loss; I am, however, committed to putting my health first and have made it a point to learn as much as I can about providing my body with what it needs to be healthy AS WELL AS to lose weight.

It is my hope that, as you read this, you reflect and make sure that you are putting your health first in this weight loss journey – the number on the scale does not measure your success – the decisions you make each day about what you will put in your body and how you will move your body are what really determine your success.

Although I do use protein powder occasionally, I can usually get adequate protein without it and I think it’s important for people to realize this. Lean meats, nuts, eggs (or egg whites), beans – all are high in protein. According to WebMD, “Protein is an important component of every cell in the body. Hair and nails are mostly made of protein. Your body uses protein to build and repair tissues. You also use protein to make enzymes, hormones, and other body chemicals. Protein is an important building block of bones, muscles, cartilage, skin, and blood.” However, too much protein can put stress on your kidneys, leech calcium from your bones, and can, in some cases, aggravate allergies.

Fiber is another part of my nutrition that I pay attention to. It is true that fiber is known to aid weight loss; however, the health benefits of fiber are really what make it such a priority in my daily nutrition goals. It promotes healthy bowel function (keeps you “regular”), reduces risk of hemorrhoids and diverticulitis, lowers cholesterol and blood pressure, and slows the absorption of sugar – particularly important for diabetics as it can help regulate blood sugar (and reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes). Beans, oats, whole grains, fruits, veggies, and nuts and seeds are all high in fiber. It is important to note that MFP does NOT give you a high enough fiber goal in your diary – according to the Mayo Clinic, men under 50 should aim for 38 grams/day (over 50 should have 30 grams) and women under 50 should aim for 25 grams/day (21 grams for over 50).

Unless you have a medical condition that necessitates an extremely low fat diet, some fat is essential for healthy body function. The Department of Health and Human Services recommends that 20%-35% of a healthy diet should consist of fats. However, not all fats are created equal – olives, olive oil, nuts, nut butters, canola oil, avocadoes, seeds, nuts, and vegetable oils all are high in poly and monounsaturated fatty acids, which can lower total cholesterol, normalize blood clotting, and reduce the risk of heart disease. Likewise, foods high in omega 3 fatty acids such as fatty cold water fish (like salmon, mackerel and herring), walnuts, and flax seed reduce the risk of coronary artery disease, lower blood pressure, and protect against irregular heartbeat.

Now to the most controversial subject: Carbohydrates. Carbohydrates have a bad rap, especially where weight loss is concerned. The problem is that our bodies were made to eat a variety of foods, including carbohydrates, and the right kinds of carbohydrates have tremendous health benefits – they give you energy and provide many of the vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients necessary for good health. You should eat minimally processed carbohydrates – fruits, veggies, whole grains, legumes, nuts, seeds, and beans are the best carbohydrates to eat – healthy carbohydrates are typically high in fiber, have a low glycemic index, are high in nutrients, and have a low energy density (except nuts and seeds).

Simple carbohydrates that are also full of simple sugars like cakes, cookies, table sugar, white bread, jam, most “sweets” like fudge and toffee, and soft drinks are NOT healthy. Natural simple carbohydrates that are low in simple sugars are easily broken down by your body and do not cause weight gain – these include many fresh fruits such as apples, berries, citrus (especially oranges and grapefruits), peaches, pears, kiwis, plums and melons. Furthermore, these fruits have vitamins and antioxidants you just can’t get anywhere else.

Now, the sodium issue. Lots of people complain about water retention as a result of too much sodium. This certainly makes the scale less friendly, but that isn’t the real reason to avoid excessive sodium. According to the Mayo Clinic, too much sodium in your diet can cause “high blood pressure, which can lead to heart disease, stroke, kidney disease and congestive heart failure.” Frozen dinners like Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice may be low fat and low calorie, but they are LOADED with sodium. Canned foods, some breads, processed lunch meats, and many cheeses are all very high in sodium (good rule of thumb: if it doesn’t expire within 2 weeks, it is probably preserved with some sort of sodium). That being said, your body does need some sodium. It helps maintain fluid balance in your body, helps transmit nerve impulses, and helps in relaxation and contraction of muscles.

Water helps flush out excess sodium, which is why you will hear so many people talking about how they have to chug water if they go over their sodium limit. Honestly, though, we really should be chugging water anyway. 95% of your brain is made up of water, 82% of your blood is water, your lungs are 90% water, and your muscles are 75% water. A drop in hydration levels as little as 2% can cause problems – fatigue, difficulty concentrating, “fuzzy” head – all symptoms of dehydration. Water alleviates constipation, lubricates your joints, regulates body temperature (thanks to sweat), forms the base for saliva, protects vital organs, detoxifies, transports nutrients and oxygen to your cells, and regulates your metabolism.

Bottom line? Drink up! 8 cups a day is a standard number because it’s a number that is easy to remember and should get you roughly enough water for your body to function well; however, if you exercise a lot, sweat excessively, live in a hot climate (like here in Tucson, Arizona), or have a medical condition that makes it difficult for your kidneys to effectively eliminate excess sodium, you really should drink more than that. Caffeinated drinks do not count towards your water intake for the day – they are actually dehydrating, so you need to drink MORE water to compensate.

Ok, food is done. Now let’s talk about exercise. Everyone knows exercise burns calories; however, there are more important health reasons to get moving. Regular exercise reduces the risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes and high blood pressure (or can improve symptoms if already diagnosed with either of these) as well as osteoporosis. It helps build and maintain healthy muscles, joints, and bones (if you have back problems, strengthening your muscles can help relieve a lot of the pain). It reduces the risk of dying prematurely, especially of heart disease. It also can help alleviate depression and improve overall mental health (endorphins are awesome, take it from me – I have a lifelong history of severe clinical depression and exercise has literally improved my mental health 110%).

That being said, too much exercise – like anything else – is not a good thing. Never let your heart rate go over 85% of your predicted maximum heart rate or you put yourself at risk of a heart attack or stroke. Also, let your muscles recover. If you overuse the same muscles without allowing them time to recover, you risk injuries such as stress fractures, torn muscles/ligaments, and other damage to your bones, joints, and/or muscles. Too much exercise can also decrease immune function (making it easier for you to get sick), cause reproductive problems in women (amenorrhea, which is when you stop menstruating), disrupt sleep patterns, cause anxiety/depression, and increase your risk of osteoporosis (some exercise reduces the risk, too much increases the risk). Push yourself, but don’t overdo it. Above all, listen to your body!

Some of you probably already knew a lot of this information. Some of you may not have. The reason I wrote this, however, was because I get concerned when I see people doing extreme and unhealthy things to see the number on the scale go down quickly. It isn’t all about weight loss. It is about being healthy. If you eat healthy foods in healthy portions, drink lots of water, and get your body moving, the scale will get the point. It might not do it as quickly as some of the extreme dieters or extreme exercisers, but it will make sure you stay healthy and will also make it easier for you to keep the weight off for life.

Replies

• CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Please read me!!! :happy:
  • crissi66
    Options
    You know what Cory, I kinda LOVE YOU!!! To take the time to put this important information out there for all us is going above and beyond!!! This is information that if you already know is a little reminder and for those of us, like myself, who are learning as we go this is beyond helpful. So, THANK YOU:bigsmile:
  • CoryIda
    Options
    You're welcome, and thank you for taking the time to read it! I hope that you have tremendous success. Have a great day!
  • mrssavvysteve
    mrssavvysteve Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Cory,

You put some great info out there, some of it I knew some of it I didn't. Either way all of it is a great reminder of the "important things" or the things we will have to maintain anyways once the weight is off.
  • healthygrl
    healthygrl Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree more with everything that you said!
  • bridgetlbarringer
    Options
    such good points. thank you!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Very well said! I agree wholeheartedly.
  • itsforgood
    Options
    On board with you, 100%. Want to add a couple of things too: It's vital to eat organic food whenever you can. Pesticides really do effect your body (especially your metabolism).

And...while your concentrating on your body, your state of mind is just as important to focus on. Mental health is key. And being really overweight can be detrimental to a positive and healthy state of mind. Therefore, it's important to reserve judgement. You many know everything that's been listed here (and it's VERY valuable info) already; but still find it hard to follow. That's ok.

Really, that's ok. The important thing is to take things one moment at a time. Mindfulness is the key here. If you were mindful about eating slowly today or this weekend, good for you! Give yourself that credit. If you are about to reach for something without thinking and you catch yourself and take a few deep breaths, good for you! Try it, you might find that if you are able to do it some of the time, the habit will build upon itself!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Great post!

I agree with 99% of it - the only little quibble I have is that caffeine is not as bad as many people make it out to be. Recent research shows that low to moderate amounts of it are NOT dehydrating - only when you consume more than 500-600 mg per day does it start to have that effect. That's the equivalent of 4-6 cups of brewed coffee or about 12 cups of iced tea (black). I see no reason why someone who only has a cup or two of coffee, or a few cups of tea a day shouldn't count those as water. Water is water and our body can use water whether it gets it from coffee, soda, tea, food or plain water. You just have to look out for and take into account the other stuff in what you're drinking. I don't drink soda - I *could* get water from it, but I don't want the calories and carbonation that come with it! I don't advocate getting all our water from other sources - I drink plenty of plain water, but I don't feel guilty about my cup or two of coffee, either!

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661
    http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp (scroll to the bottom to read the bit about coffee/soda/etc. and water consumption)
  • Pinoy_Pal
    Pinoy_Pal Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Cory...you ROCK!!!!

:o]
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    You really get it!!! Refreshing to read this type of post, thanks for posting!
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    GREAT post, Cory!!! There are too many people doing too many unhealthy things to lose weight, not better their health. Your heart is completely in this! :heart:
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Really good info! I agree that so many people focus losing weight, when the really important thing is being healthy! Keep doing what you're doing :flowerforyou:
  • Pinoy_Pal
    Pinoy_Pal Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    "...healthy decisions and healthy actions..." I love that!
  • CoryIda
    Options
    "...healthy decisions and healthy actions..." I love that!

Thanks!

And thank you all for taking the time to read this. :)
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Great Topic CoryIda!
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Not only is it 'not as bad as people make it out to be', studies have recently shown that a little caffiene each day is GOOD for you. Black coffee or tea (no added sugar) are great. Dark chocolate is also good.

Great post!

I agree with 99% of it - the only little quibble I have is that caffeine is not as bad as many people make it out to be. Recent research shows that low to moderate amounts of it are NOT dehydrating - only when you consume more than 500-600 mg per day does it start to have that effect. That's the equivalent of 4-6 cups of brewed coffee or about 12 cups of iced tea (black). I see no reason why someone who only has a cup or two of coffee, or a few cups of tea a day shouldn't count those as water. Water is water and our body can use water whether it gets it from coffee, soda, tea, food or plain water. You just have to look out for and take into account the other stuff in what you're drinking. I don't drink soda - I *could* get water from it, but I don't want the calories and carbonation that come with it! I don't advocate getting all our water from other sources - I drink plenty of plain water, but I don't feel guilty about my cup or two of coffee, either!

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661
    http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp (scroll to the bottom to read the bit about coffee/soda/etc. and water consumption)
  • CoryIda
    Options
    Not only is it 'not as bad as people make it out to be', studies have recently shown that a little caffiene each day is GOOD for you. Black coffee or tea (no added sugar) are great. Dark chocolate is also good.

Just for the record, I wasn't saying caffeine is bad - just that it isn't hydrating. I drink coffee and tea and love dark chocolate if I can find it without milk products (I'm allergic), but I don't track caffeinated beverages as water intake.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options

Just for the record, I wasn't saying caffeine is bad - just that it isn't hydrating. I drink coffee and tea and love dark chocolate if I can find it without milk products (I'm allergic), but I don't track caffeinated beverages as water intake.

Obviously it doesn't hurt to not track them as water intake, but my post (what MercuryBlue quoted) was explaining that you could track them as water intake and it would be okay (assuming you're not drinking a ton of caffeinated beverages a day). To say that they're not hydrating isn't accurate. I guess it's better to not count it and have some extra water if you're worried about it, but I have no problem counting the 1 cup of coffee and 2 cups of green tea that I had today as water.