Is maintaining harder than weight loss?

Options

Replies

• lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    When I was in weight loss mode I was meticulous about weighing and measuring everything, I had a goal to work towards and it just seemed easier to stay the course. Now that I'm pretty much done I feel my resolve slipping. I'm not measuring as often and I can't seem to choose food wisely. I find myself eating more carbs and sweets and less veggies. Slipping back to the way I used to eat.

I don't know why it's so hard to stay motivated during maintenance other than I love what I see in the mirror and the lack of goal makes it hard to stay consistent.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious. Is it harder than trying to lose weight?

It depends.

People talk the good talk about "lifestyle change", but most don't really understand what that means...it's just some term that sounds good...but conceptually, they have no idea. These people will have difficulty maintaining a healthy weight because they will just revert back to the old way of doing things very easily. These people fail to realize that nutrition and fitness have to be a huge part of one's life...they fail to realize that these things are really life long endeavors. You can't just stop working out and go back to eating the SAD and really expect to maintain...it's very likely not going to happen. This is another reason that is important to focus on other goals besides some arbitrary number on the scale when you're losing...it has to be about more than just some number; if it's not, it's pretty likely that old habits will creep back in as you become lazier and lazier in maintenance.

People who successfully maintain tend to understand that diet is a noun, not just an action verb...they adopt a way of eating for life that allows for proper nutrition and optimal health and well being. They also tend to adopt a fitness oriented and/or otherwise active lifestyle...as in, this is how they roll...forever.

I've successfully and easily maintained my weight for over a year now without logging...I eat a diet that is rich in nutrition and a smattering of "junk" and I rock my fitness 5-6 days per week. It pretty much requires dedication to the above. You have to adopt a new "normal".
  • IcanIwill1
    IcanIwill1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm over a year in and 80 lbs down I have to say for me it's pretty easy, but I do work hard every day to maintain. It took me a little time to figure things out after I reached my goal though.

I still watch what I eat and how much (I eat at a slight deficit during the week and have 1 or 2 relaxed meals over the weekend). I still write down everything I eat and my daily workouts in my notebook. I find it helpful to see what I'm eating and doing in black and white and I stay active everyday. More for health reasons, but it's nice to be able to eat a little more and I love the result working out has on my body aesthetically.

Also I focus on fitness goals (I'm currently trying to increase my speed walking to 4.6 mph and trying to do 5 pull ups in a row...I'm stuck at 4), so I think that is helping me to maintain too. There is always a new fitness goal I can try to reach for.

I never had the mentality of "l made it to my goal dress size. I'm done"! It was more like "l made it to my goal dress size. I'm going to work my behind off to stay here"!

It a lifestyle thing for me now. I went on a short weekend vacation this past weekend and I woke up early to get a workout in at the hotel's gym to start my day. I would have never, ever, ever done that in the past, but I enjoy it.

Lastly, everything I did during weight loss mode was sustainable. All I know I was not giving up pizza or entire food groups and was not going to do painful, back-breaking workouts. I often wonder if I took that route if my maintenance experience would have had a different outcome or not.
    ^^ This.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    no, more foooooooooooooooood. I love food.
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    yes yes yes, a thousands times yes. There is such a fine line to walk. I feel comfortable at 185, but everytime I get there I back off just a bit and I am back up to 200. Seems that is just where my body wants to be.
  • xMrBunglex
    xMrBunglex Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    It was hard the first couple of go rounds, but once I realized that I could NEVER stop exercising and go back to eating the way I used to, it's been a piece of cake.

"It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle" - never have truer words been spoken.
  • ShellF415
    ShellF415 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    For me, yes. I know how to lose weight. I know how to gain weight. I have never maintained my weight loss. That being said, I reached goal yesterday. Yikes!

Congratulations! That is so awesome that you reached your goal. I am still losing but have never been successful with maintenance and am hoping this time I can do it (when I reach my goal) by continuing to log my food and stick to my work out.
  • Laura3BB
    Laura3BB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    For me maintenance is much easier.
    Losing weight is...life-dominating (or was for me) - everything revolved around the calories in and out, for those 4 months it took me to lose 22 pounds.
    Maintenance is...going back to normal life! For me,that means, not logging, bot portion control and a little bit of exercise. I've been maintaining 6 months now.
    Have to say the first month of maintenance was challenging though.
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    For me, no. Maintenance for me isn't going back to normal life. Life can't be like that anymore or I'll end up in the same boat. For me I have to be ever mindful. Not as strict as weight loss but still strict.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Yes .. losing was very easy. In fact I did well at it .. and why maintaining is so hard.

I am no longer accepting to eat **** and get fat again, so eating healthy and eating much more is harder.

I am finding it harder to maintain .. as my body just wants to lose more fat.

So .. taking my measurements and ensuring I am not gaining fat is the game now. A small surplus and lots of strength training it will be. I look like a skinny runner now .. but with some definition. But I will get there, but yes maintenance is much harder.
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    There are different stages of weight loss, esp. for those who have a lot of weight to lose. That first step can be really, really, really hard. There are a lot of emotional and physical barriers people have to go through just to start. Me running at my heaviest weight was a lot harder than me running at my current weight (even if I can now run longer and faster).

However, when you go over that first hurdle, there is a real joy in losing weight. It's like a runner's high (which I have never experienced, btw). During this time, it does feel kinda effortless.

I think when you are closer to goal and have a only a few lbs to lose, it can be hard to lose that last weight.

I think it should be stated that there A LOT of people who never lose the weight to begin with. So, they never have to regain it.

I think your views on maintenance depends on how much of your life consisted of you being overweight. As a fat kid, my views on maintenance are probably gonna be different than those of a person who was fit most of their life but gained some weight in their adult years.

Four years of maintenance, but this is not my first go at it. Maintenance is hard. Maintenance becomes a more personal journey than weight loss. There are days where I barely have to exert any effort. There are days when it gets really really hard to stay on plan. And I will veer off track plenty of times. It's the "get back on that horse" aspect of maintenance that is hardest. It's so easy to just give up.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    It can be challenging because when you are losing weight, you have a goal set before you... When you are maintaining, you have to find other goals to produce the psychological sense of progress... For me it is fitness... Being able to run further, faster, Being able to lift heavier or with more reps... Reducing body fat percentage... etc. By working on other skills, accomplishments, etc., you are off the idea of "maintaining" and are in a state of continual improvement. Of course, I am sure this is different with various personality types but I am one that responds better to improving rather that attempting to remain static.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for about three months now. I do find it a little harder mainly because I am still trying to find that caloric sweet spot in order to maintain. Its also hard to get out of the losing weight mind set. I am however very much enjoying eating a little more lol. I am also one who still logs my food daily. I know myself all too well, I need the accountability.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    Yes! A million times yes.
    yes
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious. Is it harder than trying to lose weight?

In theory it is the exact same process as weight loss, you monitor your calories and keep track of your progress. The difference is with weight loss you feel a sense of accomplishment as your measures change...with maintenance you don't. As a result it can be hard to keep your interest in continuing to pay attention to your intake and if you get bored and stop paying attention you might drift into some old bad habits and start putting the weight back on.
  • carriecoo
    carriecoo Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yes for me maintaining has been the hard part. Wrapping your mid around eating more is really hard. It feels like sabotage
  • tphilon
    tphilon Posts: 1
    Options
    Lost 40 lbs. have been on maintenance for 2 years. I just keep logging my food and exercise. Its become a habit like brushing my teeth or doing household chores.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    No its not.

I still exercise which I love and enjoy and do not intend to stop.
    I still eat healthy which I love and enjoy and do not intend to stop.

Occasionally, I indulge and its not like when I still trying to lose because I am not worried that I would not lose or that I would not get back on track again.

Maintaining being harder than losing is a fallacy....it is no where as challenging as losing weight...not by a long shot.

^^agreed^^
  • CLAkeeno
    CLAkeeno Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Like many have stated before me, it's 2 completely different states of mind.

I was more motivated to keep on the losing weight mentality when i first started. 80 pounds later in maintenance mode, i find myself focusing more on definition and eating more sensibly. You just have to find something as motivating as when you first started losing weight. For me the new goal: it was about definition and improving my current self with smarter decisions food wise