Moms and dads need fitness to!

Options
I'm a new mom, well...Not so new. My son is 16 months and I still have 50 pounds of baby weight to lose. I used to be able to blame it on pregnancy, but as my sons second birthday approaches I realize that sweet coffees, donuts, and fried potatoes are the real culprit. I want to get back to my pre pregnancy/pre nursing school weight.

Anyone else out there struggling with that baby weight that's been there oh-so-long? Or dads struggling to get in or stay in shape while managing their family life?

If so, we should join up and share ideas on how to fit in workouts with our family. For instance, today I tried something new. I turned up the music and moved for thirty minutes with my son. I was silly the entire time BUT I managed to fit in 100 jumping jacks, 50 wall push ups and I jogged around the house for about 5 minutes UNINTERUPTED. By the end of this I was sweating and my calves could feel the burn to. Not to mention my son was ready for his afternoon nap and he has been sleeping well over his usual 1 hour! (Mom points!)

:bigsmile:

ANY CREATIVE WORKOUTS FOR PARENTS?

Replies

• eversmj
    eversmj Posts: 40
    Options
    My wife often does "dance parties" for our kids, ages five and two. It's basically them just running around wild to music. Yesterday I helped my wife do some dumbbell lifts in the living room while our daughter mimicked us using her stuffed dragon toy as weight. Admittedly, this would be a bad idea with a toddler.

I think what helped us most is doing organized activities together. Get involved in whatever they do or vice versa. I take around 6 - 8 Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu classes weekly. It's time consuming and we have one family car. So we enrolled both my daughter and wife for classes there as well. Now we just combine the nightly classes into one big family outing.
  • AnitaCRice
    AnitaCRice Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My son will be 2 in July, and I'm still struggling with the weight I gained during pregnancy. I gained about 56 lbs. total, and I've lost all but around 10-15 lbs. of it. Some came off right after I had him, then I stalled for a long time. The rest has started to come off since I re-joined MFP and began working out again about 3 months ago.

It's hard for me to find time to work out with a full-time job and very active toddler. I do stay busy with him in the evenings, but I'm worn out after he goes to bed and really just want to go to bed myself. The only time I have found to work out is early in the morning. I get up at 5:00 to work out for about 30 minutes before I have to get in the shower. I hope to be able to do more organized activity with him as he gets older.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Gyms with daycare
    Trailer for bike
    Get him a Strider bike and go for walks (it may take a while for him to be able to go at a decent speed though).
    Walks / runs in the stroller
    Exercise videos while he's sleeping (naps or before he wakes up)
  • Emedina1987
    Options
    My youngest is 4 months old. My oldest is almost 2. I am struggling to lose the last 9 or so pounds to be happy with my weight. I weigh what I did when I found out I was pregnant with my oldest and since February the weight has been slowly coming off. I started insanity a little over a week ago so I am hoping to see some good results and hopefully get the rest of the weight off. My goal is somewhere between 120-125. I am 134 right now. It's been a struggle and very unmovitating to not see weight come off every week, but I continue to push myself and I have been losing a pound every 2-3 weeks. I hope you reach your goal! Feel free to add me! I was really hoping to be at my goal weight for my daughters birthday, but that's in 3 weeks so I doubt that happens haha
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    Took me until my son was 5 to lose the weight.

My son and I LOVE dance parties. He will dance on the bed, I'll dance on the floor. We take turns stopping and starting the music for freeze dancing.

My son is older but he loves going for hikes. Well not really hiking more walking on trails and looking at nature or looking for the best stick.

To lose my weight though I found videos to be the best thing for me. He could watch one of his shows and I'd do a workout video.
  • tmjdunn
    tmjdunn Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I mostly do my workout when my son is napping, but on days when he doesn't want to nap he often finds it fun to do a workout video with me. He will grab my light 2 pound weights and mimic the moves and will try to tell me what one to do next. We also walk a bunch and run around outside.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,210 MFP Moderator
    Options
    My son is 13 years old, and I'm just now getting back to pre-pregnancy weight. Congrats for deciding to do something about it MUCH earlier than I did. :) You rock. :flowerforyou:
  • amandachi88
    amandachi88 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 2 yeas old, and she is my shadow. Anything I am doing, she has to be doing. Makes it hard doing a work out video at home, although I do have them and try to do them while she is sleeping. I try to get us to do stuff outside together. My daughter loves going on walks, so I just make sure when we do walk, that we walk a little bit further every time. I track it using map my fitness app on my phone.

I'll chase her outside, push her on her bike (she can't reach the pedals yet), and do amazing fun dances. As long as your out and about being active, you're doing something more than sitting at home. Just get out and move.

I like the dance party ideas too.
  • lanorajohnson
    Options
    I feel all moms and dads should take time at least 3 to 4 times a week to indulge in some type of fitness. Being parents we forget about what we need mentally and physically. If you have access to a gym great! If not you make time throughout the day a few 10 minute here and there you can still see results with a healthy diet. Even during conversation with a family member l 'll do 50 squats, jumping jacks, sit ups, or take a brisk after dinner one parent can stay with kids while the other walk and then switch. Just get creative the time is there.

P.S. love yourself enough to take care of yourself if not you WHO WILL?

Lanora
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    If so, we should join up and share ideas on how to fit in workouts with our family. For instance, today I tried something new. I turned up the music and moved for thirty minutes with my son. I was silly the entire time BUT I managed to fit in 100 jumping jacks, 50 wall push ups and I jogged around the house for about 5 minutes UNINTERUPTED. By the end of this I was sweating and my calves could feel the burn to. Not to mention my son was ready for his afternoon nap and he has been sleeping well over his usual 1 hour! (Mom points!)

:bigsmile:

ANY CREATIVE WORKOUTS FOR PARENTS?

What I did was build a home gym in my garage and I workout after the kids go to bed. I turn on the baby monitor and I'm good to go. I already had a treadmill from a couple of years ago, so I just purchased all my weightlifting equipment off of craigslist for cheap.