Not losing any more weight - HELP!

Options
Ok so I have been dieting now for 3 weeks. I weigh 303lbs (21st), I am 26 (and female) I have an Underactive Thyroid, Type 2 Diabetes, Depression and a Facet Joint problem in my lower back. I have lost 9lbs since dieting and that's it, I cannot lose anymore, I am sticking to 1200 calories a day. My body just won't lose anymore. As I have stated above I do have an Underactive Thyroid which makes weight loss even harder and a bad back which makes exercise painful. I can't work either.

Is there any hints or tips anyone can give me please, I just feel absolutely rubbish, I am trying to make my self healthier but then I am not losing any more weight which makes me think urghh I may as well give up, which I won't, I am sticking to it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    3 weeks in and ready to give up? I assume you didn't gain all your weight in 3 weeks - you need some patience.

Good luck to you.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    So you've averaged 3 pounds a week and your disappointed? Patience and have some realistic expectations. You didn't put it on overnight and it wont come off that quickly. Weightloss is not linear some weeks you will lose other weeks you wont. If you don't lose in 5 or 6 weeks then you may need to reassess.
  • lulabelle2687
    Options
    It's not my first time dieting, I have tried other diets and various ways and I always end up the same. I lose a few lbs then nothing after the first loss. I should of stated I lost the 9lbs in my first week, for 2 weeks I have not lost any more.
  • lovekohl
    lovekohl Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I would look for guidance from my doctor. I know diabetes and thyroid issues cause problems for those who are looking to lose weight, but I don't know enough about them to offer suggestions. Good luck!
  • sgvdms
    sgvdms Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking everything accurately? Open your diary so we can have a look and give advice.
  • natstar26
    natstar26 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    ive been here for about 1 month and their was a week I didn't lose at all....... it took me 2 years to put on the weight so I mean weight loss just wont happened that quickly. You are doing great 9lbs in 3 weeks im amazing!! ive lost 7lbs in just under 4 weeks and im happy for it. Just have patience, all good things happen in time lovely
  • lulabelle2687
    Options
    Thank you :smile: It's just frustrating as I lost 9lbs in the first week and nothing since. I am not giving up though, I am determined to get healthy. I didn't know that some weeks you don't lose weight, so that helps. Thanks again.
  • lulabelle2687
    Options
    My diary should be open now.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I suspect you are eating too little. At age 26, 303lbs, your BMR is 2000-2100. Eating only 1200cals/day is damaging your metabolism. Read this>>>

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

for great suggestions for successful weight loss.

ETA: Protein is not the enemy. You need more than 40g protein. Period.
  • SunshineKisses_2012
    SunshineKisses_2012 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    You aren't eating enough. I eat around 2,000 calories a day, six days a week, and I lift/train 3-4 days a week and daily cardio (at least 8,000 steps). I try to keep my carbs at or below 35% daily with the majority of calories coming from healthy fats and lean protein.

I have had to play with these numbers over the years to really understand what I'm doing, but it works for me. I base my calorie intake on:

(weight in lbs x 4.5) + (height in inches x 15.88) - (Age x 5) - 161 = Total base calories to maintain weight.

I generally don't eat back exercise/cardio calories, but when I lift, I do increase my calories by 200 to allow for a protein shake/drink (I find that if I don't have extra protein on the days I lift, I feel like a never-ending eating pit). By doing this, and having one day a week where I eat what I want (still logging it), and not caring about going over calories or eating junk (which I'm starting to not like eating the junk, so this whole day of eating junk may come to an end soon), I have lost 14 lbs in 5 weeks. Consistency has been absolutely essential to me.

What everyone else said ^^^^^ - totally agree - you didn't put the weight on in three weeks, don't stop after three weeks. Don't let the scale tell you how to feel. Even if the scale doesn't move for me (like it didn't last week), I still feel better working out than sitting on the couch and eating crap and being depressed.

Good luck to you
  • lulabelle2687
    Options
    I thought with me not being able to exercise much that I should lower my calorie intake to compensate for me not being able to walk or exercise much at all.
  • lulabelle2687
    Options
    Also I am vegetarian

What sort of food should I be eating more of etc?

Thanks everyone for commenting, it's great.

I am NOT giving up, I just feel like it as the scales are not being nice and showing me a loss!! Lol.
  • sgvdms
    sgvdms Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I suspect you are eating too little. At age 26, 303lbs, your BRM is 2000-2100. Eating only 1200cals/day is damaging your metabolism. Read this>>>

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

for great suggestions for successful weight loss.

ETA: Protein is not the enemy. You need more than 40g protein. Period.

I agree on the eating too little, you'll find different opinions on here regarding affect on metabolism so I'm not going to get into that.

I say this from experience, last year for a while I was averaging the same amount of calories, looking a few days back in your diary, some days you're only doing 900-1000 calories. I did the same thing and initially lost, then completely stopped for ages. Then upped my calories, and lost another 6kg. I'd suggest trying that and I agree read the link that has been posted, it is very helpful.
  • KornishPiskie
    KornishPiskie Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi Lulabelle,

Sorry to here weight loss has stopped. Are you on Eltroxin/Levo for the thyroid? I too have an underactive thyroid and could not lose any weight while taking them. no matter what I did, and I'm not the only person. I changed to Armour thyroid and things got better. I still have to diet and exercise but have lost 3 st in a year. It must be noted that hypothyroid patients will have difficulty losing weight. It is slower for us than others unfortunately, because the thyroid controls EVERY cell in your body. If the thyroid doesn't work you don't work. Many people who are not sick including doctors believe we are just lazy and continue to eat badly. This is not true. Join this group https://healthunlocked.com Thyroid UK. There is also a diabetes group there too. You will meet many women with weight issues due to illness they might be able to help. Also Mary Shomon who is on Facebook has written the thyroid diet, which may be of help. Thyroid change are on FB too. It is also very possible you are not dosed probably either which could actually be causing your diabetes and other health problems STTM is a great website and explains how the TSH test for thyroid is a load of b*****ks. http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/tsh-why-its-useless/
    But please get information from more knowledgeable people (such as the ones I said above).

Do you eat gluten? This could be having an effect on you also, some hypo people say milk too. I'm gluten free and better for it but can't give up the milk....yet! (love yoghurt). Also I think you are not eating enough 1200 cal is too little especially for someone who has hypothyroidism. I found I lost a pound a week on 1700 cal diet with 45 min exercise a day. Reduce your sugar to the suggestions from MFP, but also carbs (I do better with half a plate of veg, 1/4 carb, 1/4 protein). But don't give up! I feel so much better in myself, I have had a rest from dieting but am back on it again and glad of it. Let me know how you do :) x
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    There are some good points here about how successful you've already been, but how sure are you that you're actually eating 1200 calories? Are you weighing absolutely all your solid food and measuring everything liquid, and including condiments and cooking oils? If you're not, chances are you're getting considerably more than 1200 calories and might not have much of a calorie deficit.
  • lulabelle2687
    Options
    I am weighing everything out and I am not cooking anything in any oils or fats or anything like that and with my dressings for salad I am measuring that too
  • lulabelle2687
    Options
    What is peoples thoughts on Raspberry Ketones?
  • jescamp9481
    jescamp9481 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    a real plateau only happens if you do not lose for more than 6 weeks, if in 6 weeks from now you are stillat your same weight you will need to change something but I have every confidence that you will lose weight before then. Also weight loss is not linear, it goes up and down daily, what is most important is the overall trend. not the specific weight on any specific day
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    What is peoples thoughts on Raspberry Ketones?

They don't work for weight loss. My family tried them on an amazing deal and all they were really good for was appetite suppressing but not for aiding weight loss or increased weight loss. I did find it helped me make better food choices, but not worth the money.
  • agrafina
    agrafina Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Also I am vegetarian

What sort of food should I be eating more of etc?

Eat more eggs and more yogurt. Are you vegetarian or pescetarian (veg who eats fish? Some pescetarians call themselves vegetarians). If you eat fish, bump that up. I added whey and protein bars when I was vegetarian to get my protein up. You can also get protein from beans, but depending on your carb restrictions, that may be a bit too much carbohydrate for you.