Not Feeling Hungry, bad sign?

Options
albayin
albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
This is NOT one of those "I can't eat 1200 calories" so please don't jump all over me asking why I became fat. :drinker: :bigsmile:

I work out every day, first thing in the morning, with empty stomach, either lifting weights or do some type of cardio, like body combat, or HIIT. I notice that I no longer feel hungry...Like today I burned 500 calories during 1 hour of body combat, but I felt no hunger...

Is not feeling hungry a bad sign? does that mean my metabolism starts slowing down? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Do you not feel hunger all day/night long? Do you never feel hunger?
  • woodml1
    woodml1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I also do a fasted workout in the morning. I don't feel hungry after but I do notice that after tough days (leg day in particular) I get a little loopy and it's tough to think straight and focus at work. That's my brain asking for more carbohydrates! I'll usually do a 100-150 calorie snack of carbs (usually fruit) with some BCAAs after my workout and then have my first really meal at noon.

Exercise does suppress appetite. It has to do with the hormonal response to exertion and the blood being diverted away from your digestive tract to your working muscles. I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as you do start to feel hungry around your first planned meal.
  • albayin
    Options

I do feel a bit hungry in the afternoon from time to time but normally for the past 3 weeks...I didn't feel much...
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

I do feel a bit hungry in the afternoon from time to time but normally for the past 3 weeks...I didn't feel much...

How much are you eating? Eating too few calories can also suppress hunger.

Also, have you been ill recently?
  • healthygreek
    Options

I kind of wish that happened to me. I get crazy hungry about 1-2 hours after my workout and I do eat breakfast about an hour before my 1 hour+ workout. I've tried not eating breakfast but my energy is just not there if I don't eat.
    I guess you just have to eat your calorie goal anyway-maybe try to eat the most at the hungriest part of your day.
    Your body needs the fuel to run properly!
  • Redheadllena
    Redheadllena Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I have a tendency to not feel hungry after a workout. Like I'll be STARVING but wait to eat (bc eating before working out makes me feel sick during the workout) and then it's time to eat dinner after the work out and I barely have an appetite...so you're definitely not alone!
  • Debbiefit45
    Options
    If I don't eat, I get a headache. I got some blood work done so that I might see if I have any food allergies. Also, I get hungry at night--the worse time of day to be eating!!
  • albayin
    Options

How much are you eating? Eating too few calories can also suppress hunger.

Also, have you been ill recently?

I don't know exactly how much I eat everyday varies...
    I haven't been ill for like 20 years...
  • albayin
    Options

I kind of wish that happened to me. I get crazy hungry about 1-2 hours after my workout and I do eat breakfast about an hour before my 1 hour+ workout. I've tried not eating breakfast but my energy is just not there if I don't eat.
    I guess you just have to eat your calorie goal anyway-maybe try to eat the most at the hungriest part of your day.

Yes, I am more like a night eater so I save the big chunk for dinner.
  • albayin
    Options
    I have a tendency to not feel hungry after a workout. Like I'll be STARVING but wait to eat (bc eating before working out makes me feel sick during the workout) and then it's time to eat dinner after the work out and I barely have an appetite...so you're definitely not alone!

when I did Insanity a couple of months ago I felt hungry every day like nobody's business...then in a sudden all hunger was just gone...

I ate breakfast and lunch yesterday but felt like crap in the afternoon...
  • healthygreek
    Options

That's just fine! It doesn't matter what time of day you eat your calories-as long as you eat your goal.
    I eat most of mine at lunch cause that's when I'm hungriest. In the evening, I might have a piece of fruit or a yoghurt.
  • albayin
    Options

That's just fine! It doesn't matter what time of day you eat your calories-as long as you eat your goal.
    I eat most of mine at lunch cause that's when I'm hungriest. In the evening, I might have a piece of fruit or a yoghurt.

yes, but I figured I should feel hungry throughout the day like other people do, but since I don't it gets me worried...I tried small meals during the day it never worked out...
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I am not sure why you are asking the question. You don't seem to be tracking your calories, so I am not sure what your goals are in being on MFP.

I used to run first thing in the morning without eating first because it upset my stomach. I would not be super hungry after my run, but I would eat a light breakfast (half a bagel with cream cheese and tomato or a bowl of cereal with fruit). But I was also not doing any strength training.

Now. I have to eat before my workouts (usually a 180 calorie fruit and yogurt smoothie), because I am at the gym for 2 hours 5 days a week. I do 1 hour of heaving lifting followed by 30-60 minutes of HIIT cardio (spinning, Cybex Arc trainer), followed by 20 minutes of stretching. By the time I leave the gym, I am usually ravenous.