Replies

• Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Good luck Trey!!
  • jimcurless
    jimcurless Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Trey lots of good advice here. I served in the Army from 94 to 99. These guys pretty much nailed it, 2 mile run/situps/pushups. The times and goals change depending on age. I know the rest of this isn't fitness related but important info that I wish was given to me before i joined. Check out all the branches and MOS fields. The living conditions and amount you work and are in the field are night and day in regards to the MOS you choose and branch. Something def to consider with a family.

Your test scores will indicate what your qualified for, many recruiters usually will go straight to combat arms positions for a quick enrollment. I would discuss and research options and stick to your guns and only go in the roles you really want. I was 18 (didn't know what i was doing, just a place to go really), I probably could have played in the Army band, and studied music or computers, instead of jumping out of planes/ doing field exercises/ ending up in less than desirable places/risk of death. I met and worked with a lot of great people, but it is important to think about personal development and job skills that cooralate directly with employment after your enlistment is over.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    if working out leaves you short of breath, why not start with walking at a pace that makes you warm up but not pant. see if you can go 30 minutes a day, then add 5 minutes every few days. if you can't go 30 minutes to start, start at 20 or even 15, and try adding 5 minutes a week if possible. you can add your walks here on MFP, and it will figure out the calories for you. once you build your cardio, you'll be able to do other working out without breathlessness.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I guess I should clear the air a little, I actually want a Combat job, I either want to be a MP or Infintry. I really want to be the front line in defending our homeland, My grandfather and my father also served our country, My grandfather was in the navy and my father was a private contracter. I need this not only to give my family a furture but to help my personallity. I won't tell my whole life story but in a short story I never felt as if i had the childhood somebody should have had. I Know I need to grow up and stop being stuck being a child. I want to be the best father I can be, if that means giving my own life on the front line. I know I can advance through the ranks with determination as did my grandfather. I am just so lost at this moment in what to do thats why I came to MFP.
    I think it's fantastic you want to join the military. However, I think it's important you understand what you are getting into when making such a decision. I spent 10 years in the Air Force and I spent the last 18 months or so as a deployment manager. A combat job isn't as glorious as it sounds. It means long deployment 6-12 months away from your family and it isn' always fighting bad guys like in the movies. That means leaving your wife/girlfriend alone for long periods of time raising your children alone which can tear a family apart. If it's really what you want there's nothing wrong with that but please research the jobs available so you can make an educated choice. There are lots of jobs that make a difference to our national security including intelligence and medical jobs which will set you up for success once you leave the military. Medical jobs usually translate well to civilian jobs as far as experience and jobs in intelligence usually result in a top secret security clearance which equals higher pay as a civilian. Good luck. Feel free to message me if you have questions.
  • jimmyn6
    jimmyn6 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Nice for making the decision to join.

I did Basic in 2009, as a reservist in a non-combat MOS, and then had a ELS so I'm not a veteran. During Basic and AIT, or for you OST, you train with reservists, guardsmen and active duty. I was similar to you. I was 230lbs and over the weight limit, I'm in the 5'8-5'9... got a big neck, and the recruiters back then were more into getting recruits in. So I did luck by, and got help from the measurers at MEPS. At your weight though, I'd say you don't have a shot of a recruiter accepting you unless you shed some pounds. At 21, you're in the toughest test zone. I was in my mid-20s so I was more laxed.

I was at Fort Jackson, relaxing jackson and manage to lose 30lbs at graduation. Pretty intense. I scored pretty high on ASVABs as well, 97th percentile.. should done have active duty... but as a reservist with a split-option (all my training was in summer to meet with my school schedule) I was extremely limited to MOS that had opened slots in my city.Spring 2009 was the last spurge of big bonus and recruitment. I was still in school, so had the points to go in as E3. It's okay to be a POG. Some people join for the action of combat arms, I known others who went cuz the education, nursing cert, cisco network certs, etc. Others went for school benefits (i was in this group). Everyone goes in with the goal to serve the country, but at picking job time you decide what you want to do out of it. For me, I knew I would graduate college so I wouldn't need to pick an MOS that would prepare me for civilian world, and that helped me in my decision (alas reservists is limited in choices). My buddy is using army to help him become an IT professional once he gets out.

Trying to join, you will definitely need to pick up the fitness. The fitness test is always the same. If you can pass it, wonderful. My take away from basic is that it's not physically challenging if you're in shape. All the athletes and fit people made it fine through any smokin' session or PT. It's just a mentally taxing challenge but all and all my best 'summer camp adventure' ever. I'd do it again. I mean physically it's taxing on the body, but drill sgts won't kill you... and nothing you or destroy you. You will be sore a few days. It's still nothing to those who are used to pushing their bodies daily. For me it was tough, I made it through. Others didn't. I got lucky, i had good buddies and I ran 2 miles like my life depended on it.

If the working out is rough at the moment, the best now is to start slow and steady. walking on the incline, or something of the sort. After two weeks of cardio for me, i'm not dropping huge pounds, but my body is ready for me to up the resistance. Eating 'well' isn't too expensive. Ingredients to make a simple chicken salad is about $10, and can last you a week for lunch. You may need to spend more if it's gonna be dinner too. you can try those soy meal replacement shake mixes to help fill you up too. Diet will help a lot.

the demand isn't as high for recruits as it was in 2009. My buddy worked as a recruiter before returning to an infantry unit. They won't offer as many waivers like they did. So it will be tough, but good luck.
  • turpenoid
    turpenoid Posts: 73
    Options
    Trey-

I think it's a wonderful and selfless act to serve your country. I wish the best to you and to your family!

As far as seasoning your food, remember that spices are a great way to go. Get rid of the condiments that tack on calories (I'll admit that it was hard for me to stop using them because I love the bad stuff). I don't have much money, but I go to discount stores (or hey, even Wal Mart) and get cheap pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and italian seasoning blend. If you can find some combination that you like, stick with it! I love using garlic and onion powder because a small container goes very far and you don't have to buy them as fresh ingredients. I also use canned or frozen vegetables and watch for sales at my local grocery. Even if you and your family eat cheap meals from take out places, try to get as much water into your system as you can every day. It'll help flush out excess sodium and I've had friends that notice a drop in weight just from adding a substantial amount of drinking water to their daily routine.

I want to also suggest doing workouts using your own body weight. I'm someone who doesn't run because of my bad lungs, but there are hundreds (literally) of workouts online just using your own body weight to build muscle! Do a Google or YouTube search for some great tutorials. You can make noticeable changes to your fitness level without having to buy anything.

And, as others have said on here, you just have to dedicate yourself and find a way to make your goals happen. If you need to go to the kitchen to grab a beverage, do 10 squats when you get to the refrigerator. Simple additions to your daily life will add up quickly.

I truly wish you luck and if you ever need motivation, feel free to message me.