C25K/beginning runner question

Options
I started C25K today. I have never been a runner so I have no clue if this is normal or not.

My calves really were crampy and painful while running. Is this just my legs getting used to doing it or does it indicate something else?

I went and bought new running shoes so shoes are not an issue, I was not going very fast, I pushed a jogging stroller the entire time with my daughter in it and I only ran for 1 minute at a time with walking for 1 1/2 minutes in between. It was on pavement that was almost completely flat and it started the second round of running. Once I was done and walked for a while it went away and they are a bit sore now (almost 2 hours later).

Replies

• bigblondewolf
    bigblondewolf Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I just started C25K today as well!

Hmm, it could be the shoes since they're new and may take some breaking in before your feet get accustomed to them. My best guess is that it's probably just your body's reaction to running. Mine did the same thing when I started getting into running but as you get stronger that usually goes away.

Although you should always listen to what your body is telling you. If you're in real pain, don't push it and see a doc about it before you keep going.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    The calf issues are normal for people who start running. Make sure you are taking your rest days and hydrating (helps promote recovery not just hydration levels). Do some extra stretching tonight and tomorrow, and when ever your calves seem to flare up like this. It is just your muscles becoming used to the new activities.

You can try some RICE theropy: Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation. Rest is already build into the program. Ice the area tonight for 30 minutes or so, once every 2 hours. Use an ace bandage to give the area some compression in between your icing. And when you are relaxing in a chair and when you are icing, elevate your leg. Make it part of your routine until your calf muscles become used to the new activity.
  • corinne1977
    corinne1977 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Shoeloverambe, do you the correct running shoe for your foot type? If not, it could be part of the problem.
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    If you are really new to running your legs just aren't use to it. When I first started serious shin pain and ankle soreness were bad for me. As your body gets use to what you are doing to it .. it normally gets better.

STRETCH after your run. Foam rollers on your calves are great. Hot bathes are awesome, advil for discomfort and stay hydrated.

It should ease up over time.

CONGRATS on starting C25K. It is a great program and got me into running!!!!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    It could be the shoes. New does not equal properly fit or the right model to match your biomechanics. Pushing the stroller could play into it as well. The mechanics of pushing differ from propelling only your body. Form matters when it comes to running.

Then there is the newness of the activity which causes its own set of adaptations.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Knee pain is never good. Shin pain requires you to change what you are doing.

Calf soreness is a wait and see in my opinion. It can be part of the normal adjustment.

Make sure you are running slowly enough (like walking pace). Try stopping and stretching during the walk breaks. Stretch after your running as well.

If it doesn't start getting better over the next few runs, you might want to learn some about running form.
  • teresa7926
    teresa7926 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Congrats on starting the program. I started last week. If it is just cramping, make sure you are hydrating and getting enough minerals. Make sure you stretch before and after.
  • shoeloveramber
    shoeloveramber Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I will make sure to drink all my water and get a good amount of water in before running next time. I did stop once during the walking and did a quick stretch and it seemed to help a bit. Next time I will stop after each running section and do a quick stretch and see if that helps too.

My next day is Wednesday and I have a doctors appointment so I have a babysitter for that. I think I will go ready to run and go do C25K before I pick my daughter up and see if not pushing a stroller makes a difference too. I'm sure pushing that changes my stride at least some.
  • shoeloveramber
    Options
    It could be the shoes. New does not equal properly fit or the right model to match your biomechanics. Pushing the stroller could play into it as well. The mechanics of pushing differ from propelling only your body. Form matters when it comes to running.

Then there is the newness of the activity which causes its own set of adaptations.

I have wide feet so shoes that fit well are hard to find. I finally found some that are wide enough to not pinch my feet at all and that I can wear for a full hour without having foot pain from them being too tight and I bought a 1/2 size up to allow for room to run in them (I was told to do that by a few seasoned runners) but if I find that I am enjoying running and want to continue I will go get fitted at a running store to be sure they are the best shoe for me. I just didn't want to invest $150 in shoes until I know that I will continue to run.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

I have wide feet so shoes that fit well are hard to find. I finally found some that are wide enough to not pinch my feet at all and that I can wear for a full hour without having foot pain from them being too tight and I bought a 1/2 size up to allow for room to run in them (I was told to do that by a few seasoned runners) but if I find that I am enjoying running and want to continue I will go get fitted at a running store to be sure they are the best shoe for me. I just didn't want to invest $150 in shoes until I know that I will continue to run.

Hopefully you get fitted soon before an injury sidelines you and makes that $150 look like a bargain. Get fitted and have the shop educate you on their return policy, so if running (or the shoes) don't work for you, you know when you can bring them back. And most trainers are actually $110-130.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

I haven't yet spent $150 on a pair of shoes when shopping at a running store.
  • bac609
    bac609 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Can you run on a softer surface - shoulder of the road or a trail, may help until your body gets more accustomed. Also try eating a banana after your run, the potassium helps with muscle soreness.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

As others have said it's more than likely a beginner thing but also make sure you're well hydrated BEFORE you run and are getting enough potassium. Either of those problems can cause cramping.

You really don't need "properly" fitted shoes until you're running more than you are now. When I started C25K a few years ago I was fine in an old pair of shoes until I hit the 3 mile mark. At that point I started having a little pain in my right knee so I went and was fitted for a pair of shoes. I actually had to go up a SIZE AND A HALF to accomodate my running style! I was getting black toenails running over four miles with anything smaller than that. I also only spent $110 for my shoes. I was in an ASICS outlet the other day and they had some that would have worked for me for $45! I really wanted to buy them but I have a pair with plenty of mileage left in them so I walked away.

A little advice: be sure to follow the program exactly, as it pertains to days off and run no more than is planned for that day (less is fine if you find you need to). Do not do anything high impact on the days between or you risk shin or joint issues. Most people with problems early in C25K are doing too much too soon because they get so excited about the whole thing. :)

Congrats and have fun! Oh... and if there's a 5K race that's available not too long after you're due to finish the program, consider signing up. It'll give you something to shoot for and many of them are a lot of fun.
  • shoeloveramber
    Options
    Thanks! I am actually doing a 7K a week after I'm done with this program. I did my first 5K walking a week ago and I loved it so it convinced me to do this program so I could run the next one. I will be doing the 7K with a friend so our plan is to walk the first mile, run one or two miles and then walk one and run the last part. Or whatever we decide to do when we are closer to the actual date.

I think my shoes will work well for now and I have been told my several people good shoes are $150 or more so it's nice to hear I can find them for less than that!

I will not do more than this program tells me to other than some extra walking to get me back to my car if necessary. I am doing the T25 program but I modify the high impact stuff so it's mainly cardio and body weight exercises with no jumping/boucing/hopping.

I will make sure to eat a banana a day for potassium and drink lots of fluid before running. I will look for somewhere softer to run to see if that helps. After school gets out I will be using the school a lot so maybe I can run next to the track instead of on it.

Keep the suggestions coming, the more I know the more successful I will be!
  • michielyn
    michielyn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Congrats on starting! I hope the pain goes away.

I'm also doing C25K right now. After each run on the first week my entire body ached, but that has mostly gone away. Hopefully the bananas and water work for you.
  • michielyn
    michielyn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Building up the muscles in your feet through barefoot cardio on sand, grass, or on a treadmill really has helped me.
    Also really helped: a pilates move where you use your toes to move imaginary pencils from one box to another, as slowly as you can, one pencil at a time in one direction; and then you have to put all of the pencils back. You can do this standing while waiting in line, or lying on your back, working foot up in the air. It tenses and stretches all of the toe muscles so your feet can more fully engage when walking or running.
  • lazzles24
    lazzles24 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When I began, my calves just sucked for a little while. It was extremely frustrating because everything else felt great and I wanted to go farther!

For me it went away as I got stronger. I've run 6 half marathons so there is hope for you!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Also magnesium, which is in most sports drinks.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options

Hopefully you get fitted soon before an injury sidelines you and makes that $150 look like a bargain. Get fitted and have the shop educate you on their return policy, so if running (or the shoes) don't work for you, you know when you can bring them back. And most trainers are actually $110-130.
    I've never paid more than $75 for mine.