Kettlebell

Options
Why isn't kettle bell a cardio selection under exercise? Am I missing it? I need to know how many calories I'm burning.

Replies

• trsttg
    trsttg Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I was just going to post this! Hopefully someone has knowledge.
  • nicolewood415
    nicolewood415 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Often times I record workouts like this as circuit training or calisthenics. Nothing's ever super accurate unless you have an HRM, but that should give you an idea. Hope that helps!
  • Highwayman_33402
    Highwayman_33402 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hmm...Kettlebells seem to straddle the line between cardio and weightlifting.

With that said, it is difficult to determine the amount of strain, and therefore calories, one experiences while handling a kettlebell. One person may use minimal effort to swing a ## lb kettlebell. Another may be out of breath and exhausted from a few swings of the same kettlebell.

You could use a heart rate monitor to "guesstimate" calories burned. I have attached an MFP link with some good reading on why those numbers are usually an over-estimate for KB swings and other types of strength-exercises.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1044313-this-is-why-hrms-have-limited-use-for-tracking-calories

Personally, I don't track calories for kettlebells. It is still good practice logging it for no other reason that to put it in the books.
    Probably not the answer you were seeking, but this hopefully answers why there is no calorie burn associated with kettlebells.
  • michelletoth76
    michelletoth76 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies ;)