Tip for gym please...? New to gym.

Options
Hello everyone!
I bought a gym pass recently, and used it for the first time today.

When I went in to work out, I just used the elliptical machine and the treadmill.
I worked the elliptical machine first, for about little less than 15 min. (the elliptical machine was very tough! I put it as the cross country setting i believe). Then afterwards I switched on to treadmill, 3.5~4mph for about 30min.

I'm not sure if i'm doing the right way. I was wondering if someone could tell me what would be the best time amount to use certain machines....
would it be weird to maybe just use treadmill for 40-45 min the next visit then leave...?

Replies

• SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Plenty of people come in and just do cardio. It's fine. Depending on your goals though, you may want to start a strength training program.
  • coolcoolcool2
    coolcoolcool2 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I would just say to take it easy and build yourself up so you don't hurt yourself. I think what you did today sounds okay to me but I am not an expert.
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't be weird at all. Just do what makes you feel comfortable at first until you get used to the gym setting. When you feel ready, step outside of your comfort zone and try something different.
  • Jujubees813
    Jujubees813 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Most gyms seem to have at least one or two free sessions with a trainer. I've used them just so I know what each machine does. Some of them seem like death traps until I learn how to actually use the machines. When and if you use them is up to you, but at least you can get an idea of what does what! Good luck.
  • amirakabira
    amirakabira Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Some gyms offer a personal orientation to the facility and the equipment. Some even offer a complimentary personal training session in which they will help you figure out how to reach your fitness goals. It doesn't hurt to ask!
  • NoveltySwitch
    Options
    thank you for the tips everyone :)