DOMS

Does anyone have any good tips for how to get rid of DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Syndrome)? I get it quite badly in my legs after leg day and it makes the next day difficult for driving/walking about etc! Does anyone have any tips for how to prevent it, or to help alleviate the symptoms?
Thanks very much.

Replies

• itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    foam rolling

DOMS is a build up of fluids and acid and such, push it out, push it all out

another good way to recover is have a recovery run, within a mile your circulation will fix it
  • jason_adams
    jason_adams Posts: 187 Member
    Hair of the Dog - do a light leg workout the following day.

Question: what are you doing on leg day? Are you going to failure on multiple exercises? If so the DOMS may be telling you you're going a little too hard.
  • slperryer
    slperryer Posts: 14 Member
    My average leg day is a 3-5k run, squats, stiff leg deadlifts, single leg squats, calf raises, some floor work including glute bridges, and a little bit of rowing to finish. Do you think it's the combination of strength training and cardio?
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    I'm the queen of DOMS ;) make sure you're getting enough protein, hot epsome salt baths, advil, foam rolling (or a tennis ball works too), go for a walk around the neighbourhood to warm up your muscles, lay on your bed withering in pain and complain to your fiance that you're dying lol don't forget to moan every time you stand up and say "oh my @ss"
  • itodd4019
    Do the lifting first. Probably won't make a difference for your DOMS, but is sure safr for your muscles. Triring them out in a run, and then loading them with weight is not good for the connective tissues and such.

They fill up wtih fluids and acids, roll it out with a foam roller = this will help with the DOMs.
  • itodd4019
    LOL, I say that as I head out to ride home and lift! hahaha

sweat daily!
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    My average leg day is a 3-5k run, squats, stiff leg deadlifts, single leg squats, calf raises, some floor work including glute bridges, and a little bit of rowing to finish. Do you think it's the combination of strength training and cardio?

Hard to say - some people get DOMS after just about every workout while others will get it bad the first time they workout a particular muscle and then very little after subsequent workouts. I never do any cardio on my leg day, but I do find cardio can help with working out some soreness/stiffness in my legs a day or two after a leg workout. Foam rollers are a great option as well.
  • slperryer
    I'm the queen of DOMS ;) make sure you're getting enough protein, hot epsome salt baths, advil, foam rolling (or a tennis ball works too), go for a walk around the neighbourhood to warm up your muscles, lay on your bed withering in pain and complain to your fiance that you're dying lol don't forget to moan every time you stand up and say "oh my @ss"

Haha, thanks for the advice! My boyfriend is a personal trainer, so complaining never goes down too well!
  • slperryer
    Do the lifting first. Probably won't make a difference for your DOMS, but is sure safr for your muscles. Triring them out in a run, and then loading them with weight is not good for the connective tissues and such.

They fill up wtih fluids and acids, roll it out with a foam roller = this will help with the DOMs.

Thank you very much, I will give this a go :)
  • Try a rebounder... Lots of research (including NASA) on their benefits to circulation and helping folks with fluid retention.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    Another option is switch to a full-body workout done every 2-3 days. Spreading out the sets across 2-3 workouts produces less soreness. Reduces the risk of injuries too.
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    OMG.......I LOVE DOMS!!!!
  • pez1234
    pez1234 Posts: 20 Member
    I don't know what your weight routine is but I'd consider moving your deadlifts to back day if you have one. You'll be able to go heavier on the squats and deads on separate days. More productive too. Make sure your big muscle moves squats, deads, bench press are the first in your work out consider dropping some of the ancillary exercises or alternating them in different workouts, ie squats and calf raises one workout, squats/leg curls the next leg day.

If that doesn't suit, and assuming your quads are the area of soreness, alternate squat and single legs squats on different days
  • More protein, more water, more sleep, more BCAA's (anytime), more Glutamine, more simple carbs right after workout. I love leg day and the following 2 days of moving around like an old man. When you are cutting you will get a lot more sore than when you are maintaining or bulking so that is something to look forward to.

Foam rolling the next morning helps a ton too, hurts but feels good when it's over!
  • Aussie_in_PA
    Aussie_in_PA Posts: 100 Member
    Foam rolling and ensuring I get my fish oils helps me
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    OMG.......I LOVE DOMS!!!!

I actually enjoy it too
  • Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member

Haha, amen! My husband just laughs when I climb the 10 stairs to our bedroom on leg day. And the day after leg day. Aaand occasionally the day after that, too.
  • HaelaBaer
    HaelaBaer Posts: 44
    What about back/neck DOMS? When I lie down, it's hard to get up. After about an hour it relaxes more, but when I try to sleep it comes on again. I'm currently on an every other day routine and don't want to miss any workouts. I just started my routine, and I'm still doing the 5 basic lifts/exercises.
    I'll definitely do more warm up and I'm going with more fish oil and protein, but I want instant relief! Lol.