Diet coke

Options
i think diet coke,despite no calories stops weight loss. I used to drink LOTS but now only 1 or2 a day but it seems the more I drink the less I use and the hungrier I am. Anybody else?

Replies

• cinster35
    Options
    Drinking diet pop has been shown in some studies to hinder weight loss. Stick to plain water:wink:
  • JustBill
    JustBill Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure diet coke necessarily STOPS weight loss, but what NOT drinking it allows you to do is to drink more WATER which flushes out your system better and generally helps your metabolism. Sometimes I think we mistakenly think we're hungry when in fact your body is just thirsty - soft drinks don't really quench thirst as advertising claims. Kicking the sodas in favor of water allows you to quench that thirst and be more in tune with the messages your body is sending.
  • ShaneCRoach
    Options
    Again, without any real scientific evidence to back me up here, I concur that diet coke seems to have a way of making me hungry. I still have one from time to time, but I try not to drink it daily any more.

Some may say no, but I find Propel water to be a fine substitute for sodas. It may not be a super duper for you as pure natural spring water or whatever, but I find water insufferably bland. This stuff is tasty but still mostly water. If you are not fond of artificial sweeteners there's a 10 calorie Propel, and if artificial sweeteners don't bother you there's a zero calorie Propel.

Good Luck!
  • ScubyUK
    ScubyUK Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I think it does stop Weight Loss.

I think one of the reasons is that it contains many artificial sweetners and flavourings including Caffeine that cause your Blood Sugar levels to spike, this has an impact on the bodies systems and throws your hormone levels completely out of whack which tell your body how to use the calories you consume and already have stored.
  • CynthiaCollin
    CynthiaCollin Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I love diet pepsi so I won't stop drinking....I have 1 or two a day....but I make sure I always have my 8 x 8 ounces glasses of water a day.... You don't have to deprive yourself of everything...but be reasonable.....I have 1 large coffee per day....some herbal tea and my 1 or 2 diet sodas per day on top of all the water........so personally I think it doesn't hinder weight loss....as long as you drink your water and don't go overboard with everything else....plus a diet soda is way better than a regular one.....
  • dwazy
    dwazy Posts: 13
    Options
    I've experienced the same thing. I don't drink that much anymore but maybe one can a week. It does dehydrate you so it counteracts your water intake for the day. I use to get headaches from not having the caffeine but if I drank enough water throughout the day (say 68-80 ounces) I didn't get any. Good luck!
  • rachaelski
    Options
    I am skeptical of both regular and diet soda, both use "alternative" sweeteners, high fructose corn syrup for the former and artificial sweetener for the latter. I gave up soda, but on the rare occasions I drink it, I go for the bottled Mexican colas, regular, which are made with real sugar. Probably not any better sugar or calorie wise, but having natural ingredients is what I value most. I am a fan of carbonated water with fruit.....with a little lime, it tastes like a less sweet sprite.
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I'm a convert. I used to drink roughly 2 Liters of diet soda a day. I gave it up completely and I dont miss it one little bit. The first few days were hard, but now 10 months later I dont even think about it. I did lick one around Christmas time, mostly curious and it tasted like pure *kitten*. Turns out, it's an acquired taste. :)
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    From the reading I've done, the reaction to artificial sweeteners appear to be highly tied to the individual. For SOME people, the body exhibits a response anticipating sugar, which leads to raised appetite and/or sugar cravings. Others report no effect and indeed, some members of the forum seem to be able to regulate their calorie intake just fine while drinking moderate amounts of artificially sweetened drinks.

The issue, especially when it comes to Aspartame, is highly emotive. There's an over-abundance of studies and reports, many of which with financial interests (and not only from the food additive industry) behind it, and it's extremely hard for the interested public to get reliable data.

Personally, I'm not a fan of too artificial food and was never a big soda drinker, so I don't drink any diet soda -- on the other hand, if something I happen to be offered or buy contains artificial sweeteners, I don't see a reason to freak out and throw it out, either. I find being aware that there may be odd effects that I might want to avoid helps. If you feel you're craving carbs/sugar, try cutting the diet soda out. If you're losing weight just fine with no odd effects, well, seems like you're fine.
  • wowzer
    wowzer Posts: 18
    Options
    ok, you all have convinced me to give up Diet Coke for 14 days, then I will repost and give you the results.
  • jennlee80
    jennlee80 Posts: 142
    Options
    I agree with this!! I have read studies that show it can increase your appetite!
  • Gary6030
    Gary6030 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    12pk of Caff. Free Diet Pepsi here a day, sometimes more, before my WLS. Don't touch it now. I am a firm believer that Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi always makes you hungry and its usually for carbs and fats. Ask the thousands of bags of doritos, swiss cake rolls and french fries I sacrificed down the gullet! Water and Unsweetened Iced tea.....I know I know I've given up so much I still have to have my unsweetened iced tea (or dirt water as my 11 y/o son calls it)
  • tenessaa
    tenessaa Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I used to be a sugar junkie!!! I cut back my DIET pop consumption and eventually cut it out altogether. The week after I stopped completely I lost 6!!! lbs I also crave less sugar and am able to control my hunger better. i'm on the water bandwagon now!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I've expieremented with diet pop and without. All other constants being the same, it doesn't make a difference for me.

So will be drinking away.