Ranch dip vs Mayo, queso vs cheese

Options
2»

Replies

• tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Plain greek yogurt is usable in place of mayo or sour cream. Hummus is yummy on sandwiches and in wraps, too, but can be calorie dense if you're not easy on the serving. I also like most sandwiches - admittedly BLTs especially - with avocado and/or an over-easy egg. The egg is a little under 100 calories, but it keeps me from wanting a condiment (the yolk keeps the sandwich from being dry) or cheese.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Use what you want.....

As far as cheese goes....Sargento Ultra Thin Cheese slices are only 45 calories per slice...Boar's Head Vermont Cheddar is only 50 per slice....just saying.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Use what you want.....

As far as cheese goes....Sargento Ultra Thin Cheese slices are only 45 calories per slice...Boar's Head Vermont Cheddar is only 50 per slice....just saying.

Totally agree. The only suitable sub for real cheese is a smaller portion of real cheese (YMMV--of course). Sargento Ultra Thin and Kraft "Slim Cut" are great natural cheese choices. Great taste and low calorie cost.
  • ldarlener
    ldarlener Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I was kind of looking for fun substitutions for other things than mayo.
    I have found my sub for mayo.
    I was wondering if others had found things they sub for things other than mayo.
  • tinkbaby101
    Options
    I was kind of looking for fun substitutions for other things than mayo.
    I have found my sub for mayo.
    I was wondering if others had found things they sub for things other than mayo.

You mean like... cauliflower as mashed potatoes? :wink:
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Use what you want.....

Heck even the bigger Sargento slices that I use are only 80 calories per slice.
  • Limath
    Limath Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I had to come home to look at the jar, because I couldn't remember the name. I love the Mezzetta sandwich spread. They have a few different varieties, but I have the pepporcini & feta and it's really good. I've spread it on grilled chicken sandwiches, but I want to try it for tuna salad.
  • tinkbaby101
    Options
    Aside from mayo substitutions...

I like to use quinoa instead of rice. Works beautifully in every rice dish I've tried it in. Quinoa doubles as a breakfast food, too. You can eat it like oatmeal, or mixed in with other foods, like yogurt.

Sandwich thins instead of regular bread. They're 100 calories total, which is about 1/2 what most sandwich breads are.

Stevia instead of sugar. Love stevia in my morning coffee.

Mashed bananas as ice cream. Just freeze them and blend them, and you've got ice cream. You can also add mix-ins, like peanut butter, chocolate chips, cocoa powder, other fruits, and so on.

You can also use vegetables as pasta. For instance, sliced zucchini makes a passable lasagna noodle. Spaghetti squash actually does make a pretty good spaghetti. Eggplant also makes a fun mini pizza crust. And I've heard that cauliflower as a pizza crust is relatively palatable, also.

I also like to munch on apple chips instead of potato chips. They're crunchy and sweet, so they take care of 2 common snack cravings, for me. You can make your own, or Costco sells bags of organic baked apple chips.

Is that more along the lines of what you were talking about?