Critics of the 1200-calorie diet, help me out!!

Options
Hi, All,

I've seen a lot of criticism on these forums of the 1200-calorie diet, which is what I'm sort of on right now. I completely understand that eating only 1200 a day, 7 days a week, will result in a slowed metabolism, loss of muscle mass, etc. etc. BUT, my question is, does your criticism still apply if I eat 1200/day, FIVE days a week, and then "splurge" with over 2,500 calories the other two days, so that my AVERAGE is around 1500/1600?

I've tried to lose weight a lot of different ways, and I've found the only way that works for me is COMPLETE CONTROL five days a week with two unfettered "cheat days" twice a week. I can't have one treat a day and stop at that (if I had one cookie, I'd have ten cookies...).

Do you still think my metabolism will slow down?!

thanks!

Replies

• warrio1010
    warrio1010 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This is fine but only if you track the calories on the 'splurges' and know what your average is over the week. IMO too complicated and just eat the same calories every day, but whatever.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    This is fine but only if you track the calories on the 'splurges' and know what your average is over the week. IMO too complicated and just eat the same calories every day, but whatever.

This is right on. Both parts! I prefer to eat to the same target daily but whatever works to keep your deficit right, go for it.
  • sino19
    sino19 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • susabeannee
    susabeannee Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Waaaaay back in the day there was a thing called the "Wendie plan" which started out in weight watchers. It talked about staggering your points (calories) so that you had low days and high days and the thought was it kept your metabolism guessing so that it didn't slow down, but your average weekly points (calories) were what you were supposed to eat. It was billed as a plateau buster.

For example, if you were to eat 1500 calories a day, that equals 10,500 calories a week. According to the Wendie plan, transferring it from ww points to calories is that your target for the week should be 10,500 calories or less a week, but you'd stagger the calories during the week like this: low/high/low/very high/very low/high/med. high. So you might eat 1100 day one, (low) 1800 the next(high), 1100 the third,(low) 2000 the next,(very high) 1000 the next,(very low) 1800 (high) and then 1700.(medium high) =10,500 calories.

I think the plan could have some merit, but you'd have to be meticulous to count calories and be able to reign it back in on the low calorie days. I also think it can be confusing (is it high or low day? what's medium high, anyway?)

Point being, as long as your total week is within range, a cheat day is probably not going to hurt you as long as you can reign it back in. It didn't work for me, as for ME what works is consistency...but lots of people swear by it.

I guess I am saying this to say that your way reminds me of it and if it works for you.....key is just be honest with yourself and be willing to tweak it if it doesn't. Weight loss is a long term commitment and maintenance is lifetime. Weight gain happens when we stop being careful...ask me how I know! LOL!

Good luck to you in finding what works for you.
  • Berkables
    Berkables Posts: 35
    Options
    Thanks!!! I was just freaking out because everyone on here talks like eating 1200/day will make me gain 100 lbs in two seconds or something. I'm all about the averages.
  • sugarnspice0613
    sugarnspice0613 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Calorie shifting works for me. But I've never done anything really low for multiple days and then binged for a couple. Some days I'm just hungrier than others or I know there's a special occasion that I'll want extra calories for. It helps me not feel guilty if I go over as I know I'll just make it up elsewhere without having to exercise until I want to die. If I do have a day where I go over my calories, I will just subtract a little from each day or make just one day low so that I still have the proper amount of calories for the week.
  • md523083
    md523083 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Don't let anyone tell you 1200 calories is dangerous. If something is working for you and it's doctor-cleared you'll be fine. Of course your metabolism will slow down, you're creating a much smaller body that needs fewer calories to work. Starvation mode is pretty much a myth, unless you're actually starving (300-700 cals per day?). Like actually STARVING. Don't let anyone scare you from what is working :)
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    1200 calories a day won't hurt you. end of story. not unless you have a ridiculous calorie requirement. you will not go into starvation mode, your body will not shut down, you will not bulk. that's all mythos.
  • manicautumn
    manicautumn Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!! I was just freaking out because everyone on here talks like eating 1200/day will make me gain 100 lbs in two seconds or something. I'm all about the averages.

Nawh. Eating at a deficit won't make you gain.

1200 is generally an issue because it is really low for most people. You can likely eat more, be happier in the long term, and maintain easier at the end of it.

Unless you're really short (like under 4'10) or an older woman, 1200 is relatively low. MFP suggests it as a minimum which usually suggests that your goals may be too aggressive or your activity level might be too low.

But, whatever works for you. It's your body and you won't gain on a deficit, so don't listen to that.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Hi, All,

I've seen a lot of criticism on these forums of the 1200-calorie diet, which is what I'm sort of on right now. I completely understand that eating only 1200 a day, 7 days a week, will result in a slowed metabolism, loss of muscle mass, etc. etc. BUT, my question is, does your criticism still apply if I eat 1200/day, FIVE days a week, and then "splurge" with over 2,500 calories the other two days, so that my AVERAGE is around 1500/1600?

I've tried to lose weight a lot of different ways, and I've found the only way that works for me is COMPLETE CONTROL five days a week with two unfettered "cheat days" twice a week. I can't have one treat a day and stop at that (if I had one cookie, I'd have ten cookies...).

Do you still think my metabolism will slow down?!

thanks!
    No, but that is almost 1,600 calorie/day average, whatever works for you. If you are not in the obese range, you should be eating more, try TDEE -15%, you don't have that much to lose. I try to eat 1600/day, sometimes a little under, sometimes a little over, but I go by the weekly average.
  • Sarahsteve7kids
    Sarahsteve7kids Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I eat 8400 calories per week!!! It is working for me!!! And I don't eat back exercise calories!
  • iwishihad
    iwishihad Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Waaaaay back in the day there was a thing called the "Wendie plan" which started out in weight watchers. It talked about staggering your points (calories) so that you had low days and high days and the thought was it kept your metabolism guessing so that it didn't slow down, but your average weekly points (calories) were what you were supposed to eat. It was billed as a plateau buster.

The Wendie Plan was the only way WW ever worked well for me way back when .... so I'm doing it again just with calories now. It can get confusing remembering which is high and low so I've written out a little cheat sheet that I taped to my desk, Every morning I adjust my settings here accordingly before I start going about my day. Hopefully it works as well for me now as it did then!
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how tall you are and how much you have to lose. I'm 5'1.5", 55, and eating 1200 a day, but eating back exercise calories. I lost 6 lbs. early on, but am plateauing at this point. I also have one cheat day a week. As you can see from my picture, I'm not exactly losing muscle mass, if anything, I've gained muscle since doing MFP, being more mindful of what I eat, and exercising more. However, if you are a bigger person, 1200 might not be the right number for you. Also, you need to "eat back" exercise calories or you will lose muscle mass.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    There's also a site that creates a "zig-zag" plan for calories.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Input your info, and when it gives your calorie goal, click on the zig-zag button. :smile: