is wine off-limits ?

Options
Hello everyone out there.....

I am new to myfitnesspal and I'm working hard to loose weight! What are your opinions/experiences with drinking wine while trying to loose weight? I love my wine! :) I have read some things that suggest wine slows down metabolism.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Replies

• AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    No...wine is fine. But the key is moderation. Don't go overboard with it. A glass or two every now and then isn't going to kill you, and its benefits outweigh the negatives.
  • hlybri
    hlybri Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Excellent question! I want to hear the answer to this, too.
  • jennlee80
    jennlee80 Posts: 142
    Options
    Hello!

I am also a wine lover!! I am not sure that it slows down your metabolism but it does add calories/sugar to your diet. I don't drink it everyday but I will have a few glasses a week. Studies show a 4 ounce glass of red wine with dinner can be great for you BUT I'd stick to that 1-4 ounce glass :) And maybe not daily while you are trying to lose weight. I hope this helps and you find the answers you're looking for. Maybe do a little trial and error :)
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    moderation in all things! i love red wine.....

in my case 1 bottle once a week :drinker:
  • kbefit
    kbefit Posts: 116
    Options
    Love my wine too and won't give it up. However....everyone here is right...moderation is key! I actually think that's true for all things.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I don't find it to be an issue. I enjoy my wines.
  • cgrezlak
    Options
    I know others will comment about how bad alcohol is for your health, but there's plenty of evidence that alcohol in moderation is actually beneficial. For me personally, I have lost nearly 20 pounds in the last year and am now at my goal weight and in the best shape of my life, and have not cut out alcohol (have a couple drinks a day). I just make sure to ensure I am staying in my calorie range and getting enough of the nutrients I need through my diet.
  • mjd1980
    mjd1980 Posts: 16
    Options
    Hi I read this earlier - HTH

Alcohol and weight loss
    Alcohol is metabolized differently than other foods and beverages. Under normal conditions, your body gets its energy from the calories in carbohydrates, fats and proteins that need to be slowly digested in the stomach. But alcohol gets special privileges and needs no digestion. The alcohol molecules diffuse through the stomach wall as soon as they arrive and can reach the brain and liver in minutes. This reaction is slightly slowed when there is also food in your system, but as soon as the mixed contents enter the small intestine, the alcohol grabs first place and is absorbed quickly. The alcohol then arrives at the liver for processing. The liver places all of its attention on the alcohol. Therefore, the carbohydrates (glucose) and dietary fats are just changed into body fat, waiting to be carried away for permanent fat storage in the body...
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    just a personal choice, but i don't really make anything off-limits! i have, however, decreased the amount of alcohol that i drink.
    though it seems sad, it's better than banning booze outright! :ohwell: :blushing:
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Good Lord, I hope not. :-)

I actually agree with jennlee80's comments. I think it's calories in have to be lower than calories out. So, if you want to spend your cals on wine, you can. The only risk being that you may use up your cals and still be hungry. Or, in my case, the risk is what I associate with wine. When I pour a glass, I crave something like cheese or crackers to go with it. So before I indugle, I have to make sure I have enough in my calorie bank. Other than that, the health benefits of red wine in moderation make it a worthwhile calorie purchase.
  • PaulaAvery
    PaulaAvery Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I allow myself 175ml of wine on a week night with my dinner if I fancy it, and Friday & Saturday night I have a 300 ml glass. However, I have started offering to drive when I go out! - no calories, no hangover!
  • healthygrl
    healthygrl Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Just make sure that you measure out how much you're drinking and account for the calories. If you stay within your calorie allotment you can still lose weight and drink wine.
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not! For the longest time, I felt like I could see a pattern in my own weight loss, that I did better when I was allowing myself a glass per night. When I'd swear off, I'd either get stuck, or even gain a little. Thought I was crazy ... then I saw this study!

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE62759S20100308
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I know others will comment about how bad alcohol is for your health, but there's plenty of evidence that alcohol in moderation is actually beneficial. For me personally, I have lost nearly 20 pounds in the last year and am now at my goal weight and in the best shape of my life, and have not cut out alcohol (have a couple drinks a day). I just make sure to ensure I am staying in my calorie range and getting enough of the nutrients I need through my diet.

I've heard red wine is excellent for you heart and a few glasses a week isn't bad for you. I figure as long as it is included in your daily calories it shouldn't hurt.
  • cbevan
    cbevan Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I think like anything else, you just have to make sure you count it. And don't let it lower your inhibitions so that you eat something else.
  • aghack
    aghack Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone out there.....

I am new to myfitnesspal and I'm working hard to loose weight! What are your opinions/experiences with drinking wine while trying to loose weight? I love my wine! :) I have read some things that suggest wine slows down metabolism.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

I love wine. Not like- LOVE. I was a sommelier during my 20s. I enjoy a glass of wine with dinner almost every night, and at least once a week the one glass will be followed by a second while I am in the bath tub. I look at it like this- I am not on a diet- I am trying to make permanent changes in my life that will lead to better fitness, weight loss, and health. Since I will not be permanently giving up wine, I am going to enjoy it just as I will after I have lost weight. I make sure to log it in my calories, and I have learned to budget accordingly. If I gave it up while losing, I think it would be very hard to reintroduce it later without it messing up my food choices. I have found that my wine choices have changed as well- I love Reisling and Pinot Grigio (I live in FL and it is HOT) but they have far too much sugar in them to enjoy regularly. I have learned to pair my wines with food based on complimenting flavors AND calories/sugar.
    I think it is important to make myself accountable for the life I lead, the life I want lead, and the life I choose not to lead. In my previous attempts at weight loss, I always gave up alcohol, excercised like an addict, and denied myself everything. It would last for a short time, and then I would basically give myself permission to be fat because getting thin was too hard. Now I know that I was just setting myself up. I don't want to be an alcohol-free, marathon running, carb avoiding, gym rat. I do, however, want to learn how to choose the glass of wine instead of the slice of cake, or choose the slice of cake knowing exactly how many laps around the block it will take to walk it off. For me, I have to make allowances for the things that I want in my life, or I will just quit- and then feel worse.

Good luck on your journey!