A good waterproof bluetooth headphones... they must exist

Options
So not sure if this should go here or not but a good motivation for me when I'm running is music.

I've had NO good luck with it comes to bluetooth headphones thus far so I'm turning to you if you have had a good experience with one that could fit my needs.

The only problem I've encountered with bluetooth headphones I've purchased so far is that they eventually stop working and my only guess is that sweat makes its way to the electronics and the little tiny buttons just shorten and suddenly the device is useless.

The only request I want is that it's a decent water-proof headphones, it doesn't mean that I wanna go swim down the river with them. I just want them to last more than a month or two after using them for running because of how much I sweat.

Here are the bad luck headphones I've used over the years so far:
1. Motorola S9-HD. (Decent and lasted less than a year till it gave up both in terms of buttons usability and sound)
http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-S9-HD-Bluetooth-MOTOACTIV-Packaging/dp/B001LXR0BW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401899272&sr=8-1&keywords=s9hd

2. Panasonic RPHJE120A In-Ear Headphone. (Not made for my ears, I figured I'd try the in-ear but they're almost never stay on for more than a minute - also sound quality degraded after use)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003EM6AOG/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3. Philips Rich Bass Neckband Headphones SHS5200/28 (I liked the idea of them only having 1 "rugged" cord however it only took two weeks till one of the headphones stopped working)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CJTR8M/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4. SoundBot® SB270 HD Stereo Bluetooth 3.0 Wired / Wireless. (I don't seem to find them on amazon anymore, maybe they've been discontinued)
I loved the idea (wire/wireless) and the design of these headphones and it worked well in the beginning but only last 3 weeks. The power button stopped working completely after I've worn them almost daily for my run. I assume also due to the sweat.

So that's my list of headphones I've broken, any help narrow down where I should look would be appreciated!

Replies

• theoden524
    theoden524 Posts: 26
    Options
    Hey, I'm currently using the JayBird Bluebuds X and they work great. I run on the elliptical for a good long while, usually twice during the gym visit and they hold up pretty well.

I did have to have a pair replaced, but since I got the warranty there was no issue. Just brought them in, picked up a new pair and was on my way.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/jaybird-bluebuds-x-bluetooth-earbud-headphones/6917118.p?id=1218813784721&skuId=6917118&st=jaybird bluebuds x&cp=1&lp=1
  • exwilson
    exwilson Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I sweat a LOT when I run and I had the same problem with bluetooth headphones. I finally got these and I never looked back. They're lightweight connect with no problem to any device, and never breakdown from sweat. And even if they did, a protection plan from best buy means you can replace them for about $16 (which includes renewing your protection plan).

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/jaybird-freedom-sprint-bluetooth-earbud-headphones/5756069.p?id=1218691612738&skuId=5756069&st=bluetooth headphones&cp=1&lp=39
  • crashj
    crashj Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've got the S9-HD which I am using for my elliptical runs now. They do a pretty good job with sweat but I am having problems with the earbuds staying in my ear canal, otherwise they are not loud enough. It's nice not having cords bind up on my water bottle or the handles. Also, I wish they'd pair to both my Mac and my phone, they only support one BT peer.
  • minabotrous
    minabotrous Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    So Jaybird sounds like the brand I need to look at. Thanks gentlemen, I shall do a bit of research on their designs and cost.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Jaybirds aren't cheap but I just ran a half marathon in the rain with no issues beyond a bit of slippage in the last couple miles and they were soaked from before the starting gun through the snack line.
  • minabotrous
    Options
    Which one do you have? That's good to know and if they're a bit priciey, they may be worth it. Hoping they could last a couple of years. How's the sound quality?
  • lyrics09
    lyrics09 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    http://store.sony.com/black-4gb-walkman-sports-mp3-player-zid27-NWZW273//cat-27-catid-All-Players-Docks

I have these. I love them and worth the 100 bucks. Had them over a year now and haven't had any issues. Sounds just fine too. I use them from day to day commutes walking around or being at the gym/pool.
  • minabotrous
    Options
    Interesting concept to have both MP3 player and headset in the same unit.. Probably not for me though. I stream a lot of music from my phone.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Which one do you have? That's good to know and if they're a bit priciey, they may be worth it. Hoping they could last a couple of years. How's the sound quality?

I have the Bluebuds X ... better sound quality than my older Plantronics .. better than most of the wired buds I've used over the past few years. I don't expect or need studio quality while I'm out running 10+ miles ... just something that sounds pretty good and covers up some of the sounds of my last breath escaping as I chug up a hill and they do more than that.

I am thinking about replacing the tips with Comply foam tips just for longer wear comfort and a little better sound isolation.
  • exwilson
    exwilson Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I don't expect or need studio quality while I'm out running 10+ miles ... just something that sounds pretty good and covers up some of the sounds of my last breath escaping as I chug up a hill and they do more than that.

Here here!:drinker:
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm currently using the JayBird Bluebuds X and they work great. I run on the elliptical for a good long while, usually twice during the gym visit and they hold up pretty well.

I did have to have a pair replaced, but since I got the warranty there was no issue. Just brought them in, picked up a new pair and was on my way.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/jaybird-bluebuds-x-bluetooth-earbud-headphones/6917118.p?id=1218813784721&skuId=6917118&st=jaybird bluebuds x&cp=1&lp=1

Hi,

I know exactly what you mean. I've used most Motorola models and they don't last much after 1 year.

The above pair, are what i've been using for about 2 years now. I also bought the warranty and took my last pair in right before the warranty expired, although i didn't have any issues with them. Got a brand new latest model and bought the warranty again. :)

Best Buy is where I bought mine.

BTW, I sweat like a bandit.
  • minabotrous
    Options
    Oh they have life time warranty, I like!
  • H0llyG0lightly
    H0llyG0lightly Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Saving this in case my current ones stop working.