VERY low resting heart rate

Options
Hiya MFPers,

When I was in the best shape of my life (about eight years ago when I was 36, pretty active and a fairly solid 180-185 pounds), my resting heart rate was around 54-60. My cardiologist (who I see every couple of years to keep tabs on two minor heart defects: mitral valve prolapse and an atrial-septal defect) was at first concerned, but when I told him of my activity level, he said it was excellent.

During the past eight years of being pretty slovenly, my resting heart rate settled into the 72-80 range. Now that I've been pretty active again (44, down to 205 from 226 and working my way back towards 185), my resting heart rate is dropping a good bit. In fact, I just checked it twice and it was 40 the first time and 44 the second. It seems as though I'm typically right around 50.

Has anyone else noticed their resting heart rate dipping into the 40s as a result of all their activity? I play racquetball a couple of times a week, have recently started biking, and hit the elliptical about four times a week.

Thanks! :)

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    For my age, my RHR is considered "excellent" and borders on "athlete." It's about 60-61 BPM.

40s sounds low, but it's all relative. You should probably talk to your doctor.
  • rebekah_anne81
    Options
    Mine was around 52 for several years...lately, I've noticed it dipping into the 40's (48 I think). But I don't know why or if it is bad.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    When I'm not doing much, my resting HR is usually in the mid 40's to mid 50's; although it was around 86 Saturday night during the LSU game!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Mine is about 35, I have very Low BP to begin with and thyroid issues too. So with HIIT training, Running, and Yoga it's very low. I had surgery in June and at the hospital it was 37, they worried, until they read my shirt about running, and quit worrying about it. I'm not too concerned about it as long as I feel good.
  • mom2nate08
    mom2nate08 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem - mine is higher than I would like for it to be. What type of exercises, or just cardio in general, would you suggest to lower it?
  • Goldenwoof
    Goldenwoof Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem - mine is higher than I would like for it to be. What type of exercises, or just cardio in general, would you suggest to lower it?

I would NEVER make any recommendations on how to raise or lower a resting heart rate. If yours is higher than you'd like it to be, talking to a doctor is the first thing you should do.

Having said that, it's pretty common knowledge that exercise strengthens the heart, and a stronger heart doesn't need to beat as many times per minute in order to get the blood through the body, so it would stand to reason that exercise would lower anyone's resting heart rate.

Again, though...if you're concerned about your heart rate, talk to your doctor. I see my doctor on a regular basis, so I'm not concerned about any problems in my case. I was just wondering if a resting heart rate in the 40s was highly unusual or not. And according to the responses above, it looks like it's not all that uncommon.

Thanks to everyone for their responses! :)
  • biobreak
    biobreak Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm a marathoner and during the training season, my HR dips into the 40s. At a recent checkup, my doctor was surprised but impressed and said with all the running I do, it makes sense. I have a low BP also (80/60-ish), which only got me into trouble when I had my son via unplanned c-section and lost some blood. A few bags of saline later, I was ok.

I recall hearing somewhere that during his Tour de France heyday, Lance Armstrong's heart beat about 30 times per minute when at rest. With enough conditioning, hearts can pump huge quantities of blood with each beat.

Keep up the good work!
  • jonimyer
    jonimyer Posts: 1
    Options
    I am 40 and some what active. I am female and weigh 125. I don't "work out" but my job is a work out. I am a mail carrier...a lot of heavy lifting, walking, getting in and out of my jeep, standing for long periods etc... I went to the doctor because I am always tired and sluggish feeling. My resting heart rate was 45 beats per minute. Is this why I feel so tired, exhausted and sluggish all the time? Any suggestions?
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    At 250 lbs my resting heart rate was often above 90, now after losing 45 lbs and drastically increasing my cardiovascular endurance it is around 50 bpm. I'm 41 yo.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I am 40 and some what active. I am female and weigh 125. I don't "work out" but my job is a work out. I am a mail carrier...a lot of heavy lifting, walking, getting in and out of my jeep, standing for long periods etc... I went to the doctor because I am always tired and sluggish feeling. My resting heart rate was 45 beats per minute. Is this why I feel so tired, exhausted and sluggish all the time? Any suggestions?

I can't imagine that your hr would be the cause if it's always been low. Mine is also mid-40s but I'm extremely active and so have a lower hr. what did your doc say? My bp is also 'low' and I was told thats only a problem if it's causing me problems.
  • reilly360
    reilly360 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi I'm a 20 year old female with a resting HR around 47-55. I'm pretty active and do lots of running, cycling, and crossfit. I just got the Garmin FR 220 to try and decrease my run time as well as just learn more about the stresses I'm putting on my body. Interestingly enough, when running at a comfortable pace 8:30min/mile my average HR is in the 190s. Anyone know if this is normal? It doesn't bother me, but if anyone has any suggestions or possible explanations I'd love to hear them. I've currently got low hemoglobin and hematocrits (low iron in females my age is normal), but think that could explain it?
  • xmissbehaved56x
    Options
    It is normal as your heart becomes stronger to have a low resting HR. As long as you don't feel light headed or fatigued there really shouldn't be an issue. Several patients I have worked with had a resting heart rate below 50 and they were very active and healthy. I wouldn't worry about it unless you have any symptoms associated because you will definitely notice symptoms if it is too low for your body.
  • reilly360
    Options
    It is normal as your heart becomes stronger to have a low resting HR. As long as you don't feel light headed or fatigued there really shouldn't be an issue. Several patients I have worked with had a resting heart rate below 50 and they were very active and healthy. I wouldn't worry about it unless you have any symptoms associated because you will definitely notice symptoms if it is too low for your body.

Okay, good to hear! Thanks! And it's alright that my average HR on a a average run is that high? I would think that as my heart gets stronger it wouldn't have to work as hard/fast to pump blood while working out...
  • buttercrud
    buttercrud Posts: 20
    Options
    Old thread, but I'm 46 and my resting HR is 45. I'm fairly active. Back in 2006 while training for a marathon, my resting HR was 40. (The cardiologist I saw at the time put the stethoscope to my chest and said, "Whoa, that's some rush of blood.") You're fit, it's good!
    Interestingly enough, when running at a comfortable pace 8:30min/mile my average HR is in the 190s. Anyone know if this is normal?

I guess everyone's got a different interpretation of what's "comfortable" but that seems somewhat high to me. I think my absolute top end HR is 202, but I'm a male and 46 so it's difficult to compare. 8:30/mile isn't screaming fast especially for someone fit, but maybe running in the FL heat jacks one's HR? Anyway, seems high to me but maybe relative to your true max HR it's reasonable. I'm curious what the max heart rate you've recorded on your Garmin is?
  • MadTownD
    MadTownD Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    MIne used to be 85 bpm on a good day at 400 lbs. with no exercise except walking to the fridge. Now at 300 lbs. with cardio 5 - 6 times a week and weight training 3 times a week, it's about 52 - 56 bpm. My doctor is ecstatic!
  • reilly360
    Options
    Garmin has recorded my max at 202. I didn't think about the heat factor...it'll be interesting to see if it changes in the winter.
  • lisameister13
    lisameister13 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    While 40-50 can be normal in the very athletic, I would suggest seeing your doctor due to your pre-existing mitral valve prolapse and atrial septal defect. No need to be overly concerned, but absolutely better safe than sorry!
  • buttercrud
    Options
    Garmin has recorded my max at 202. I didn't think about the heat factor...it'll be interesting to see if it changes in the winter.

One way to determine max HR:
    http://www.polar.com/us-en/training_with_polar/training_articles/maximize_performance/running/how_to_determine_your_maximum_heart_rate_for_running

More I think of it, 190 seems really high for an average HR. That's near sprint HR! But I'm just a schmuck with a HR monitor and a internet connection so what do I know.
  • buttercrud
    Options
    While 40-50 can be normal in the very athletic, I would suggest seeing your doctor due to your pre-existing mitral valve prolapse and atrial septal defect. No need to be overly concerned, but absolutely better safe than sorry!

I didn't even notice this in the original post. I have a mitrial valve prolapse myself. I wonder if this is more prevalent in runners or the very active?
  • tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    It depends on when you take your heart rate, and what activities you've been doing prior to, as to whether or not a resting heart rate of 40 is alarming.

If you're taking it first thing in the morning or after meditating for an hour, it's a different story than your resting heart rate 15 minutes after exercise.

It also depends on how quickly it changes, the degree of change (does it go from 180 to 40, or are you talking going from 60 to 40). It can also relate to having other symptoms - dizziness, shortness of breath (situationally, of course), fingers turning blue.

It could also be perfectly normal because of your high level of activity. There are just so many factors, your doctor is truly the only person who can address any concerns you may have with your resting heart rate.

ETA - obviously I read your OP wrong, since I took it as a concern, rather than a data gathering, "how common is this" thread. Sooooo, my answer stands as: it's all relative.