how to get over a plateau?

Options
Hi guys,

I've been working so hard over the past month and have been losing weight consistently every week. Over the past two weeks I haven't lost anything at all. Is there anything I can do to get over this plateau?

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Give it a few more weeks. If you're staying under goal I wouldn't quite call it a plateau yet. Your body could just be retaining water for any number of reasons
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

I've been working so hard over the past month and have been losing weight consistently every week. Over the past two weeks I haven't lost anything at all. Is there anything I can do to get over this plateau?
    Plateau is just another word for eating at maintenance, or eating more than you think.

That said, two weeks is not a plateau, and to not lose weight for a few weeks is normal. Weight loss is not linear and takes time.

If you still have not lost in four weeks, look at your logging habits.
  • daynerz
    daynerz Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Exercise longer, or ad another activity or decrease slow and steady, 100-150 calories. once your at your desired weight slowly reintroduce your cals.

you are at a plateau, your body has adapted, plain and simple. you have to keep it guessing.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Exercise longer, or ad another activity or decrease slow and steady, 100-150 calories. once your at your desired weight slowly reintroduce your cals.

you are at a plateau, your body has adapted, plain and simple. you have to keep it guessing.

No...just no...

A plateau is defined by at least 4-6 weeks without weight loss...

2 weeks is not a plateau it is your body doing what it does since weight loss is not linear...

You don't have to keep your body "guessing", just continue to eat at a deficit make sure you are logging accurately and the weight will come off.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Nope.
  • premneote
    premneote Posts: 39 Member
    Options

No...just no...

A plateau is defined by at least 4-6 weeks without weight loss...

2 weeks is not a plateau it is your body doing what it does since weight loss is not linear...

You don't have to keep your body "guessing", just continue to eat at a deficit make sure you are logging accurately and the weight will come off.

Thank you...I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing and hopefully I start seeing results again soon
  • calico100
    calico100 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    stef....how long did it take you from start to finish to reach your goal?
  • mistiblake08
    mistiblake08 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I went three weeks without losing anything, but the following week I dropped 4 pounds. If you don't want to wait to see if you stay at this standstill for another few weeks, I suggest changing up your exercising. For me, I was doing cardio for 60 minutes a day, but when I stopped losing I shifted it to 13-26 minutes of running up and down my driveway.
  • smerchant85
    Options
    Hi. So I have been doing super low carb diet for several months now. And have lost about 10-12 lbs total. However for the last 4 weeks my weight has not budged at all. I have been eating low cal and low carb. I've been exercising 5 days a week. Basically doing a modified version of Atkins. I'm so lost. I don't know how to overcome this plateau. Please help!
  • oliviagibson
    Options
    a friend of mine just recently lost A LOT of weight. When he was at a standstill with his weight for a few weeks, he added sprints to his routine. He would run as hard as he could (he was on a running track) for 15 seconds, then rest for 15 seconds. He did this continuously for 15 minutes, and I believe after a week he broke through. Just switch up your routine as bit! Try a different set of exercises every month. You're body can get used to the same motions!
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    a friend of mine just recently lost A LOT of weight. When he was at a standstill with his weight for a few weeks, he added sprints to his routine. He would run as hard as he could (he was on a running track) for 15 seconds, then rest for 15 seconds. He did this continuously for 15 minutes, and I believe after a week he broke through. Just switch up your routine as bit! Try a different set of exercises every month. You're body can get used to the same motions!
    No, it's not about your body getting used to the same motions, but about those sprints creating a calorie deficit, which is the requirement for weight loss :smile:
  • needsalife3
    needsalife3 Posts: 56 Member
    Options

^^^^^^ This. My 8 month plateau was finally broken by changing my exercise plan. I tried everything. Make sure you're eating to plan (we tend to add treats and get lax after a while) and as long as you're exercising at least 225 min a week just change it up -- take a class instead of machines, or start biking instead of running, whatever.

After my long sad story my nutritionist that finally helped me break the plateau said a plateau is 2-3 weeks of no loss but most people don't realize it for 4-6 weeks.
  • premneote
    premneote Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone who replied. Your advice was really helpful! I changed up my routine at the gym, and it has helped me break through this plateau - finally! After 4 weeks!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    stef....how long did it take you from start to finish to reach your goal?

1+
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    a two-week stall is not a plateau. Just do something different to jumpstart your metabolism. If it is a plateau, you would have been at the same weight for about six weeks or so. When I started strength training, I plateaued, but lost inches in some places and gained muscle in others. Finally everything settled and I started losing weight again.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    eat less or move more. (or a combination of both)
  • bubbly_charm2k9
    bubbly_charm2k9 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    In my opinion....probably your body is getting used to your work out .. you have to add a little extra mins. on your work out... Last month i get over with the plateau by adding extra mins. :smile: :smile: