Maintaining weight during holiday

Options
Hi!

Just need some advice! I have been on a healthy diet for the past 2 weeks and been going to the gym very regularly (6 times a week to be precise), attending classes such as Lower Body & Abs, Kickboxing, Spinning. In addition, I have been training 4 times a week with a personal trainer to incorporate weight lifting and some circuit training to loose fat and build muscles. So daily, I have been working out between 2 and 3 hours. This is for a long term goal but my results so far have been good (although my total weight seems to stay the same, my fat weight is going down and muscle weight is going up which is what I am aiming for anyway) and I've lost inches.

I have a holiday planned in 3 weeks for a 10 day period and I am worried that I will gain the fat weight I lost because I will not be working out for that period of time. Going from 2-3 hours of workout per day to nothing will surely have an effect on my weight and body. Has anyone gone through a similar situation? I will try and watch what I eat and not exaggerate on food intake... but what else can I do to avoid gaining the weight back during the holiday period? Would appreciate any comments/ advice! Thanks :)

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,726 Member
    Options
    I try to keep exercising on holiday. I either find a hotel with a gym, or buy day passes for a local gym. The hotel should be able to recommend one nearby. I normally get my workout while the other half sleeps in. If there isn't a gym in or near the hotel, I will just do plenty of walking while sight seeing.
  • kadat
    kadat Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Keep an estimated track of your calories (mentally) if you have no access to MFP. I assume there is a lot of walking involved? if so you should be fine.
  • Changingmyfatitude
    Changingmyfatitude Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I went on holiday a few weeks ago and had the same worries as you, I still managed to incorporate a workout every other day of the holiday even if it was for 30 minutes and was still mindful of what I was eating and gained nothing over that period.

It can be done but do not stress about it too much as you need to enjoy your holiday too.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Options
    I'm a six day a week exerciser and recently had a beach holiday. My priority was to enjoy the holiday though!

So I ate and drank whatever I wanted and took the week as an active rest / deload week (*). First session back in the gym I doubled my reps on leg press and broke my bench press plateau where I'd been stuck for 6 months, hitting my best numbers for 20+ years.

Oh - and I gained a stack of temporary weight but only about a pound of that was fat which gone in a week.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1304777-please-don-t-fear-temporary-weight-gain

* = my deload / active rest was cutting my weights by 50% with three very gentle sessions in the hotel gym plus hours wandering the beach and sand dunes.
  • addean1
    addean1 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Just got back from a week long family vacation. I continued to log my food intake, (yah, some was estimates that wasn't totally accurate, but close enough). Continued to exercise and move my body- went hiking, on a couple of runs, and just walking as we were sightseeing. I Came home at the bottom end of my maintenance range, :). So I guess I see vacations as just part of life, keep on logging- both food and exercise.
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I'm a six day a week exerciser and recently had a beach holiday. My priority was to enjoy the holiday though!

So I ate and drank whatever I wanted and took the week as an active rest / deload week (*). First session back in the gym I doubled my reps on leg press and broke my bench press plateau where I'd been stuck for 6 months, hitting my best numbers for 20+ years.

Oh - and I gained a stack of temporary weight but only about a pound of that was fat which gone in a week.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1304777-please-don-t-fear-temporary-weight-gain

* = my deload / active rest was cutting my weights by 50% with three very gentle sessions in the hotel gym plus hours wandering the beach and sand dunes.

Do have a look at this link. I read the post, it makes perfect sense and has eased my holiday gain paranoia (am off to Italy next Fri where all the food is super nice). Also think of fun activities you can do such as swimming, walking, cycling, maybe horse riding etc. These will all burn cals and should be enjoyable too! Most importantly have a great holiday!