looking for fellow 3rd shifters

Options
I am looking for fellow 3rd shifters. One of the hardest things to overcome in my challenge to get healthier is my work schedule. I work at least 3 12 hour shifts a week. The policy here is eat what ever you want. This place is packed with junk food. Also on the days that insomnia find myself not eating as much or as often as no should. If anyone out there can relate to my nightbshif t woes please add me. I am trying to loose a little over 50 pounds.

Replies

• 0utfit
    0utfit Posts: 11
    Options
    I work rotating shifts and can SO relate. It's really hard to get into any kind of routine, and the night shifts are the worst. As you say, there's so much junk and sweet stuff to nibble on. And then - as you say, the insomnia - it makes me want comfort food. The whole business of messed up sleep patterns is just perfect for getting off track.
    So here's what I plan to do as an experiment on my set of 3 night shifts this weekend - I will eat before I go to work, and I'll take a big healthy meal to eat during the night. Hopefully around when we have a break and everyone else gets stuck into the junk. I'm sure I'll still nibble on the high-cal stuff on the table, but hopefully MUCH LESS because I'll be full. And then when I get up after only a few hours sleep, I'll eat another good meal - should knock off the cravings.
    I'll be watching what other people have to say here...
  • grizzlymaze
    grizzlymaze Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm too a 3rd shifter. I know exactly how you feel with eating and working out. Its truly tougher for us who grind at night. No café open for us to go to during lunch so its either late night drive thru or left overs that nobody else has eaten. Also, when we get off work we are completely drained of energy and would just rather hop into bed than go exercise. Add me as a friend if you wish.
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    You can bring your own food in, I assume. I usually bring in a bowl of fruit or vegetables every night and keep an assortment of nuts (natural almonds, pistacios, cashews) on hand for snacking. I have to keep a low salt diet, so eating junk food is pretty much out for me but every once in awhile, they will put some small bags of popcorn in the vending machine. I don't usually bring any kind of "meal" in, so I pretty much graze on my snacks throughout the night.

If you have a microwave handy, you could get some instant oatmeal cups. Just add water, microwave and eat. You don't have to live off junk food if you don't want to.
  • Sallena3
    Sallena3 Posts: 3
    Options
    Where I work we are here for 12-16 hours. We are not allowed to leave and can eat anything they have here. On grocery days they have salad and fruit but by the end of the week it is gone and the pantries are full of junk food. Another problem I have is that after working three or four days in a row, I sleep all day. I know its not good to eat just once a day but that is exactly what I did yesterday. Sometimes I forget to bring something healthy and since I am a float and move building to building I can't really leave stuff here to eat. I need to figure out when is the best time to exercise as well. Lots to figure out I guess.
  • BigSpoonSA
    BigSpoonSA Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Bring a bag to carry around with you as you float from building to building to hold some snacks in between meals. As for exercise, if you work in multi-story buildings, take the stairs up and down as much as you can. Every little bit helps! I am more concerned about your sleep schedule. When I work nights I am lucky to get more than 4 hours of restless sleep and it causes me to binge on junk for energy to get through the night. How have you been sleeping on work days because based on your last post it doesn't sound like you're getting enough.
  • maQmIgh
    maQmIgh Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Hiya,

I dont recognise the term '3rd shifter'? but im assuming its the night shift when you work 8 hours at a time (please correct me if im wrong)

I am a shift worker, I work 12 hour shifts (days and nights) on a 4 day rotating shift pattern (4 days, 4 off, 4 nights, 4 off etc)

I feel for you with the whole 'eat whatever you lke' .... I think I would be in SOOO much trouble

When I first started my weight loss I had trouble eating breakfast (eating too early would upset my stomach) - not good when Im up at 4am on my dayshifts)
    Then, on nightshift I would feel nautious if I hadnt eaten anything between midnight and 3 am

I got extremely frustrated when my body wanted to eat at 3am on nights but not 4am on days *jeez, make up your mind*

Now If found on days I spread my food between 7am and 8pm
    and on nights, I eat when I wake (about midday) and make sure I leave calories spare to make sure I eat at work between 7.30pm and 10pm, then I eat a little something at 3am, go to bed by 7am and then start it all over again around midday

Shift work sucks for anyone trying to live healthier or trying to lose weight.

Good luck on your journey
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Hiya,

I dont recognise the term '3rd shifter'? but im assuming its the night shift when you work 8 hours at a time (please correct me if im wrong)

I am a shift worker, I work 12 hour shifts (days and nights) on a 4 day rotating shift pattern (4 days, 4 off, 4 nights, 4 off etc)

I feel for you with the whole 'eat whatever you lke' .... I think I would be in SOOO much trouble

When I first started my weight loss I had trouble eating breakfast (eating too early would upset my stomach) - not good when Im up at 4am on my dayshifts)
    Then, on nightshift I would feel nautious if I hadnt eaten anything between midnight and 3 am

I got extremely frustrated when my body wanted to eat at 3am on nights but not 4am on days *jeez, make up your mind*

Now If found on days I spread my food between 7am and 8pm
    and on nights, I eat when I wake (about midday) and make sure I leave calories spare to make sure I eat at work between 7.30pm and 10pm, then I eat a little something at 3am, go to bed by 7am and then start it all over again around midday

Shift work sucks for anyone trying to live healthier or trying to lose weight.

Good luck on your journey

Yes.
    Third shift is usually working from midnight to 8:00 am depending on the job.
    And sleeping during the day.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I did full time 3rd shift (5days/8hours) for 10 years. The only way I was successful in losing weight and lowering my A1C was by going to the day shift. Fortunately, I have way more energy and am generally happier now.

My mother and I work in the same department, and I can see how she's deteriorating now that she's working the night shift again. It's very hard on a body, especially if you don't keep to the same type of hours on weekends/days off (i.e., sleeping during the day and staying awake at night).

I lost the differential by going to days, but it's been worth it.

This week I've been unexpectedly dumped back on midnights for 3 days, it's going to be tough to re-adjust for next week.
  • Smirnoff65
    Smirnoff65 Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I too am a '3rd shifter' or nightshift as we call it in the UK, I honestly find it easier to lose weight when I'm on this shift pattern, I work 3x12hr shifts one week and 4 x12hr shifts the next. I bring in my own food and am able to control my calories, I come home and either go to gym or go out for a good walk with my dog before going to bed and I'm losing on average 3-4lbs per week. If you feel that I could help you any feel free to friend me.
  • bbb84
    bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    12 hour rotating shifts days and nights... I try to bring my food , but I have yet to get into the habit of doing it consistently.
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I swing shifts and can completely relate. I find just prepacking food and bringing it with you is the best way to go. Make sure you leave time at night to prepare stuff to eat.