C25K/beginning runner question

Options
2»

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    It could be the shoes. New does not equal properly fit or the right model to match your biomechanics. Pushing the stroller could play into it as well. The mechanics of pushing differ from propelling only your body. Form matters when it comes to running.

Then there is the newness of the activity which causes its own set of adaptations.

I have wide feet so shoes that fit well are hard to find. I finally found some that are wide enough to not pinch my feet at all and that I can wear for a full hour without having foot pain from them being too tight and I bought a 1/2 size up to allow for room to run in them (I was told to do that by a few seasoned runners) but if I find that I am enjoying running and want to continue I will go get fitted at a running store to be sure they are the best shoe for me. I just didn't want to invest $150 in shoes until I know that I will continue to run.

Go and get fitted anyway. It could be that your shoes are still too small. Or you could need more/less stability. You don't have to actually buy shoes at the time.

One thing that I have to do is remove the sock liners from my shoes. This gives me a little extra room which makes all the difference for me.

By purchasing last year's models, I was able to go from a $125 shoes to $70. You can even explain that cost is a consideration and they will do their best to give you options in your range.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    It could be the shoes. New does not equal properly fit or the right model to match your biomechanics. Pushing the stroller could play into it as well. The mechanics of pushing differ from propelling only your body. Form matters when it comes to running.

Then there is the newness of the activity which causes its own set of adaptations.

I have wide feet so shoes that fit well are hard to find. I finally found some that are wide enough to not pinch my feet at all and that I can wear for a full hour without having foot pain from them being too tight and I bought a 1/2 size up to allow for room to run in them (I was told to do that by a few seasoned runners) but if I find that I am enjoying running and want to continue I will go get fitted at a running store to be sure they are the best shoe for me. I just didn't want to invest $150 in shoes until I know that I will continue to run.

I haven't yet spent $150 on a pair of shoes when shopping at a running store.
    me either. I tell them I want the last seasons model and it's usually $60-75 since it's not the newest colors.
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    congratulations on starting, i finished week 5 last night, it's such a good program

when i first started i had a few issues with my legs, first up was shin splits, correct shoes fixed that, then i started getting a pain in my calves, i went to the doctor about it and he suggested i wasn't warming up enough

since then I've made sure I've warmed up properly by taking a longer walk before starting the days running and doing some dynamic stretches
  • Abi198111
    Abi198111 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I just started running two weeks ago and I have the same pain - mine is almost unbearable at times, and especially worse when I stop running. Fortunately it goes away within 20 minutes or so of stopping. Make sure you are getting plenty of potassium as this will ease cramping (banana before/after your run) and also coconut water as this is stacked with potassium and electrolytes. Also, you can't beat a bag of frozen peas on your legs!

Good luck with your running, and don't let this put you off! :smile:
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
  • swebb4209
    swebb4209 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I just completed week one day 2, and my calves are also killing me :/ I'm also doing 30 day shred! I hope it gets easier as time goes by!
  • shoeloveramber
    shoeloveramber Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I just completed week one day 2, and my calves are also killing me :/ I'm also doing 30 day shred! I hope it gets easier as time goes by!

I stretched between runs today and that did help but man do they still hurt while I'm running! I hope it gets better soon because it takes the fun out of the accomplishment.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I put off the 30 day shred for awhile. You need to do something low impact on the days between running or you're risking injuries. That's the reason C25K only has you running every other day. Find something else to do on the days between whether it's walking, biking, swimming, strength training, yoga, elliptical, whatever.