Protein intake

Options
Hi all, I am 88.5 kg, 5.6' ft tall. My carb intake is quite high, so to start weight loss, I reduced it considerably but I see that I am almost never able to meet my protein goal of 120g, my protein is mostly from whey shake (20g) and omlettes. I am only able to eat around 60g. I have my carb protein fat set to 40 40 20. How do I increase my protein intake? How about a protein bar, pls suggest names. I do eat chicken but limited intake as I don't seem to enjoy it when coking without oil. Do you think 120g is right amount of protein for my weight loss? Thanks!

Replies

• terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    40/40/20 is a good place to start with your macros. If you're looking for increasing your protein, try to incorporate more lean meats. I have a turkey breast recipe that is awesome. put a frozen turkey breast into a crock pot, add 1 can of cranberry sauce, 1 packet of french onion soup mix, and 1/2 a can of water. Cook on low for ~5 hours (or until turkey is fully cooked through). It's my favorite turkey recipe by far.

Allan
  • rusta
    rusta Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Im vegetarian, and usually hit around the 100g mark. I do incorporate protein shakes, and bars (Quest bars are delicious!!) - but also through protein enriched breads (Burgen Womens Wellbeing), low fat dairy, lentils and meat replacement foods.

If you are happy to eat lean meats - then you will find it alittle easier.
  • beckytcy
    beckytcy Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Greek yogurt? I get lots of protein from that.
  • MarisaShickel
    MarisaShickel Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of greek yogurt, beans (watch for carbs though), almonds, edamame, turkey burgers made with ground turkey breast, chicken (my favorite meal is a salad made up of grilled chicken, black beans, and frozen corn (carbs again so a really small amount) heated up in a splash of chicken broth, lime juice, hot sauce, and garlic powder over greens with greek yogurt and chipotle hot sauce mixed together as a dressing). Lean cuts of beef are great sources of protein as well. I splurge on a good steak every once in a while!

You mentioned cooking chicken without oil and not enjoying it. Have you tried grilling? That gives a good flavor. Also, try using spices to give the chicken more flavor. Try using lime juice or soy sauce as a marinade with other spice to give chicken good flavor without a lot of calories.

Good luck!
  • minniemickey
    minniemickey Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hey Thanks everyone! I will definitely try the recipe mentioned above and also the greek yoghurt, lean meat sandwiches.I hope I am able to up my protein after these changes.
  • hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I have struggled to do the same, not because I don't enjoy protein but because I love carbs too much...The past couple of days I've managed eating much more protein than carbs.

- Protein bars are good for when you don't get to prepare a meal and need something quick. I get some Atkins bars for between meals once in a while.

- Bacon in limited amount and eggs. If you really need to watch your calories, make scramble from egg whites.

- Salads where you put all sorts of protein rich foods. Today I had a salad with chicken breast, lean ham, cheese, spinach and tomato - loads of protein.

- I switched from regular milk to soy milk and get less calories and carbs but still some protein.

Good luck :) Upping the protein is definitely the solution for me.