tasty things to do with zucchini?

Options
2»

Replies

• janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Go on to kraftfoods.com or allrecipes.com (or any recipe site), and search for recipes by ingredients. I make a zucchini crust pizza casserole, even my husband likes! Another one I like is a zucchini-corn saute (zuc, corn, diced tomatoes, some seasoning & cheese on top). Pumpkin zucchini bread, pineapple zucchini bread, the list goes on...
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I make Korean vegetable pancakes out of zucchini, green onion, and chives! I also like savory zucchini cheese bread. Zucchini noodles are wonderful with the right sauce. Love zucchini pizza boats too. :D

Oh yea and simple grilled zucchini as a side to a yummy piece of medium-rare steak!!
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    It taste really good in spaghetti and similar dishes.

These are really good:
    http://damndelicious.net/2013/10/02/pizza-stuffed-zucchini-boats/

It taste good in eggs, too.

Zucchini is very versatile. You're only limited by your imagination with it, really.

My husband loved the Cauliflower pizza so I wonder if he would like this just as well....hmmm!
    I was just curious how many calories did you come up w/ on that recipe?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If calories matter:
    - Slice it thinly, brush with olive oil and salt and grill it. Eat warm, sprinkled with salt and lemon juice
    - Boil zucchinis until tender, let them cool, add lots oflemon juice and olive oil and serve as a salad.
    - Slice, brown in a non-stick pan and add in omelettes.

If you are not looking for anything super low calorie and have some time to spend cooking,
    they are great stuffed with meat (for example, see here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/beef-and-bulgur-stuffed-zucchini-recipe0.html)
    and also fried : http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/fried-zucchini-recipe.html
  • metulchik
    metulchik Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I like to layer slices of zucchini with onion and tomatoes and a little bit of tomato sauce, then top with mozzarella and bake it until the veggies are soft and cheese is melted. Yummy!
  • KLiburd86
    KLiburd86 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Try it stuffed? Here's a link to recipe I found, looks goood!

http://inspiredreamer.com/stuffed-zucchini/
  • spirito21
    spirito21 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I grate it with carrot and onion add some mayo anddash of balsamic vinegar stir in a few nuts and you have a coleslaw in minutes.
  • sherryhall5076
    sherryhall5076 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I use turkey pepperoni or ground turkey sausage or mix for my zucchini boats.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I slice mine thinly with onion, diced green or red pepper whatever I have sauté in olive oil with Italian seasoning blend, and lots of garlic. I then add a can of rotel tomatoes with chilies not drained and then add about 1/3 cup of rice. When rice is cooked and gets thicker, I add a little Parmesan at the end. Yummy, gooy, Nom Nom .. If more liquid is needed just add a little beef broth or water....
  • xxCHAOTIC
    xxCHAOTIC Posts: 4
    Options
    We slice them and add them to any kind of pasta we make!

And I'm sure there has to be a low cal version of zucchini bread somewhere. I grew up on that.
  • rachael726
    rachael726 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    OP- I also enjoy zucchini and was really craving pizza one night, but didn't want to splurge all those calories. I googled how to make a pizza crust low calorie and I found zucchini pizza crust. It's super easy to make.

I took 3 zucchini (doesn't matter the size) for my first trial run with it and grated it down until it looked like shredded cheese. Leave the skin on. Once I had that done, I put it in a bowl and had another bowl beside it. Take small handfuls and wring out the excess water. Use the empty bowl to put the zucchini that you have de-waterized (hehe) into. Once you have all of the zucchini free of as much excess water as humanly possible, take an egg (I used 1-2 large ones) and mix it with the zucchini. This binds it together very well. I even tried using egg beaters instead, but it didn't bind for me as well as it did with the entire real egg.

After you do that, take your baking pan, spray with cooking spray and then put your zucchini on the pan. Be sure to spread it evenly so it cooks evenly. I made mine thin the first time. The thicker it is, the longer it takes to cook. I cooked mine for about 15-20 min on 400 degrees. I like my pizza really crunchy, but you can judge for how you like it.

Once that has cooked, pull it out of the oven. You now have a "crust" for your pizza. I added marinara, low fat shredded mozzarella and turkey pepperoni and popped it back into the oven until the cheese was melted and golden.

My son doesn't like zucchini and gobbled this up. It's become a new regular as part of our dinner rotation. You can add whatever you would like onto it, because you are creating your own pizza.

I just quickly googled a link for you or anyone else reading this:

http://www.recipegirl.com/2014/04/24/zucchini-pizza-crust/
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I like to grill them on the bbq with oil and salt. Do it with eggplant, peppers, onions, mushrooms, asparagus, and YUM!
  • kristella16
    Options
    Everyone saying spaghetti but if your trying to loss weight I would do spaghetti squash zucchini would do great in as well ad in the morning for breakfast. Anything you need noodles for i highly suggest using spaghetti squash. Very tasty!
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Slice it, steam it, eat it!
  • MollMoll821
    MollMoll821 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    We eat a lot of zucchini, especially in the summertime when my family's garden produces more of it than we can use!
    I've pinned a lot of zucchini recipes to this board, made quite a few of them too. All super yummy. Hope you find a few you might like! :)
    http://www.pinterest.com/FitBegins/zucchini/
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Last week I made a Lasagna and repleced the pasta with Zuchinni that I sliced lengthwise on my mandolin. Tasted great.

Last night I made a Fettuccini dish. I replaced the pasta with Zuchinni that I put through a spiral slicer. Tasted great.
  • Tab122377
    Tab122377 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My father would cut it round slices and put seasoning on it or non and grill it and call it Pinwheels. my little cousins would come over to swim and request pinwheels for a snack and if you' ever had a garden like we did we always had tons.
  • lask722
    lask722 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Shaved-Zucchini-Salad-with-Parmesan-Pine-Nuts-360251

Shaved zuke salad with parmesan and pine nuts. I rarely make the same recipe twice in the same year, but we made this twice in the same week. So simple, but the ingredients are perfect together. Good luck with your findings!
  • CCSavage88
    CCSavage88 Posts: 191
    Options
    One of my fav things to make with zucchini is "po boy crabcakes"...Look up a recipe and bake instead of frying :)