Need some help! Stuck!

Options
I am the same weight I was in mid April. I keep losing it, then gaining it. then losing again, then gaining. It is the same 4 lbs each time. I have about 60 more lbs to go, so I can't get stuck here. I am so frustrated. I had to take last week off from working out because I was sick. I actually only took a few days off- can't imagine that a few days off would make me gain 4 lbs.

I change up my workouts during the week: kickboxing, weight lifting, elliptical, bike, etc.

Eating wise I have been pretty good- but maybe slacking a bit. I KNOW I had a bad weekend, we had guests in town and I didn't abstain from my favorite foods like I normally do. But one bad weekend shouldn't make me gain that much, either.

Thoughts/advice welcome!

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    My advice is to invest some time to read this link and implement the suggestions into your life:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    well looking at your diary

1. You are not eating back exercise calories, which leaves your body short on fuel for your other workouts.
    2. You don't weigh all your solids
    3. Some of your entries are suspect...ie ones that start with homemade...did you make it, do you know what was used in it? if not don't use those.
  • mcaro05
    mcaro05 Posts: 9 Member
    Options

1. You are not eating back exercise calories, which leaves your body short on fuel for your other workouts.
    3. Some of your entries are suspect...ie ones that start with homemade...did you make it, do you know what was used in it? if not don't use those.

Thanks. I need to get a scale so I can accurately count.

I never know how to eat back my calories. That is something I am still learning. Any advice on which foods to eat? I am a recovering food addict so when I hear I can eat more I usually want to go for something I shouldn't eat.
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    As the system is set up for your loss and activity I agree you are having too many leftover calories at the end of the day. I would start with eating back at least some of your workout calories. If your macros are set up to eat 1700 calories per day, it is simple to make that the minimum and then slowly add maybe some to half of your workout calories to that number and attempt to eat them at a healthy caloric intake to fuel your body especially on the days with such an intense calorie burn. Also, your first meal of the day is one after several hours of nothing & I would try to eat a little more than you do to rev your metabolism. Maybe be cautious to watch your sodium as for me personally that leads to retention and bloating. Our bodies fluctuate so I would pick one day early in the morning each week to check the scale. Also you need to consume more protein. Try incorporating a protein bar or protein shake into your day or adding more lean meats such as chicken, turkey, tuna, fish or nuts. The nuts will increase your calories and keep you full and are healthy fats.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Try to stay as consistent as possible. I bet that you work hard during the week and then sometimes your weekend takes away some of that hard work. Also- are you measuring your food? or just eye balling it? You can do it =)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I never know how to eat back my calories. That is something I am still learning. Any advice on which foods to eat? I am a recovering food addict so when I hear I can eat more I usually want to go for something I shouldn't eat.

I don't believe in "can't eat foods" personally but if there are foods that you feel you can't try things like greek yogurt with extra fruit and granola or nuts like almonds, add avocadoes to sandwiches I like gouda cheese and grapes or crackers with cheese...my fav tho would be chocolate...I have a serving every night...
  • aquiva33
    aquiva33 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat back all the caleries you burn, especially if your not losing. It back all the calories doesn't work for every one. If your hungry eat them if not don't. As long as your getting enough to sustain your body, your good. That's what works for me.

• emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hello :) I just read through the replies above me- all great advice and I wouldn't change anything. I just wanted to add though, that you could just be in a "stall". When I lost my weight I had roughly 4 of them where my weight would just fluctuate back and forth back and forth back and forth.... it was so frustrating!! When this happened I just stuck to my "basics" (which for me boiled down to drink my water and make sure to hit my protein goals) and tried not to stress over it. What would happen for me is when my stall broke I would drop a larger number suddenly one day and then go back to my more normal pound a week sorta thing.

Stalls are totally normal and a very real part of the weight loss process. I compared it to my body having a temper tantrum... "no, I don't want to burn anymore so hahaha" kinda thing. Your body is going through a lot of changes and at first it responds but then it just sorta... stops... for awhile before it starts losing again.

Chin up, you're doing a great job! Don't let this discourage you or push you towards bad decisions. Stick to your routine and it will catch up with you... promise!
  • shira324
    shira324 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hello :) I just read through the replies above me- all great advice and I wouldn't change anything. I just wanted to add though, that you could just be in a "stall". When I lost my weight I had roughly 4 of them where my weight would just fluctuate back and forth back and forth back and forth.... it was so frustrating!! When this happened I just stuck to my "basics" (which for me boiled down to drink my water and make sure to hit my protein goals) and tried not to stress over it. What would happen for me is when my stall broke I would drop a larger number suddenly one day and then go back to my more normal pound a week sorta thing.

Stalls are totally normal and a very real part of the weight loss process. I compared it to my body having a temper tantrum... "no, I don't want to burn anymore so hahaha" kinda thing. Your body is going through a lot of changes and at first it responds but then it just sorta... stops... for awhile before it starts losing again.

Chin up, you're doing a great job! Don't let this discourage you or push you towards bad decisions. Stick to your routine and it will catch up with you... promise!

Agreed! Everything in this chain is great advice and there are some particularly important points here from Emmeylou. Weight loss is a long process and you'll always have ups and downs. Don't lose sight of your goals and keep at it. You've accomplished so much already, and we're all here to help you reach your target!
  • csy108
    csy108 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I spent about 17 days in May hovering around one pound lower than when I started using MFP in April. I kept eating a deficit, weighing myself and measuring myself every day. I saw a change with measurements and a substantial improvement in the way my clothes fit, but my scale weight was the same.

Last week of April through today I've suddenly dropped about 8 pounds on the scale. I obviously didn't suddenly burn 28,000 calories - I was burning fat all along, but the scale wasn't telling the whole story. Don't let a stall on the scale discourage you. Just make sure you know you're eating a calorie deficit with accurate food measurements and a solid estimate of how many calories you're using each day.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    So with just a fast review of your logs, I’d say you need more protein in your diet, and yes to eating back calories. Yes get a good digital scale and measuring cups and spoons and measure “EVERYTHING” to insure that you are getting the proper portions.
    As for your exercise log I see cardio but nothing that would build muscle. I’m not saying you need to hit the weights hard, you can also do body weight exercises that would help you build muscle which will help you with the battle of the bulge. This is what has worked for me anyway.
    I was lifting heavily but was seeing very little gains or should I say losses but that was really because I had a bad diet and was not measuring, just eyeing everything. Around January I had to start doing less weight training and so I incorporated a HIIT routine along with cardio and have started eating better. Since that time I have lost 27 pounds and almost 5 inches around the waist as well as thinning in my face and toning in my arms and legs.
    I have hit a wall recently but it’s because I have slipped. Just as bobbijoemb stated, weekends can sometimes be a killer which has recently been my Achilles. So you gotta be in the mindset even on the weekends to keep watching yourself.
    Good luck.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Agree with needing a scale. Weigh everything! Measuring cups are not accurate enough.

Also just by looking at your diary you eat at restaurants a lot. Calorie counts may not be a lot, but the sodium levels are always high. Drinking water will help, but is not a panacea. Eat out less and cook at home more will help. You know what you are putting into your meals more than someone in the back of a restaurant. Calorie counts on here are close, but probably not accurate. Try avoiding or limiting eating out to once a week. Eventually you won't miss it.
  • mcaro05
    mcaro05 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your help.

I do have strength training workouts 1-2 times a week.
    I unfortunatley have to travel a lot for my job which is why I have to eat out sometimes- but I try to pick low sodium foods as often as I can.

I think a big part of it is I never eat the number of calories I am supposed to- especially during the week. But on a weekend, I tend to ease up and eat a little more, but of the wrong foods. So I think I need more balance. Thanks for your help everyone!