Limit to exercise

Options
Hi guys,

Is there a daily limit to how much exercise we can do in a day?

My daily exercise consist of 30 mins of cycling on a stationary bike, 3 min rest and 30 min brisk walking on the treadmill.

I'm planning to increase another 30 mins of brisk walking as all.

Is it overexercising?

I'm afraid my joints will be worn out faster. Will my joints be affected?

Thanks.

Replies

• cantfail
    cantfail Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    90 minutes of exercise as you describe is not over-exercising and the exercise you are doing is not particularly hard on your joints.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

My daily exercise consist of 30 mins of cycling on a stationary bike, 3 min rest and 30 min brisk walking on the treadmill.

Is it overexercising?

Thanks.

I'm assuming this is going to go along with your ab question you posted earlier. Exercising multiple times a day thinking you're burning a ton of calories is not the way to get abs.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Worried that your joints will get "worn out" from what?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It's riding a bike and walking. Humans were basically made to do those activities all day.
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    nevermind

sorry
  • wise_wind
    wise_wind Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Worried that your joints will get "worn out" from what?

From overexercising.
    But after reading the comments, I understand thats not true. Thanks guys. =)
  • aliu00
    aliu00 Posts: 61
    Options
    don't do too much at once. just be consistent. Yes,Too much sports will hurt your joints.
  • wise_wind
    wise_wind Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

Is it overexercising?

Thanks.

I'm assuming this is going to go along with your ab question you posted earlier. Exercising multiple times a day thinking you're burning a ton of calories is not the way to get abs.

Hi martyqueen52,

Nope, both were different doubts on my mind. I have started exercising from Feb this year and was just concerned about my knee joint.

As for the abs, its another doubt cos I was assuming you can focus on one spot but found that its not possible. Thnks =)
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    An hour 1/2 of biking/walking is no where close to over exercising and they aren't activities that are very stressful to your joints. No need to worry.
  • OffKilter5150
    OffKilter5150 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Sounds pretty mellow to me. Listen to your body! If you're tired, if you hurt, back off! I personally play roller derby 4-6 hours/week on top of intense cardio and weight lifting at the gym about 5 hour/week. Sometimes these days overlap. I also mountain bike, hike, kayak, whatever else...if I'm tired, I slow down!
  • Frood42
    Frood42 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I cycle commute, currently about 50 miles a day (which is about 4hrs on the road), and I am holding up quite well.

Depending on how hard you push with the walking or cycling, these are activities you could do all day, especially on a bike in the "endurance HR zone", as the impact is much less than, say, running.

Start off slow and build up gradually.

Assuming you are not doing HIIT on the stationery bike every day you should be good.

30-60 mins of brisk walking is probably a good idea for an active recovery day.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I would recommend at least a small window of time in which you sleep. The rest is up to you.