Sweet Baby Jesus....the BLOAT!!!

Options
Okay guys! I thought I've been learning enough nutritionally speaking over the last few weeks since I started eating clean and healthy but apparently, I've gone blonde. (or wait...maybe that's the calorie deficit making me whacko lol). But, I need extra sets of eyes here please! I've been bloated all week since LAST Saturday! The week before that, I was feeling absolutely great about all the healthy nutritious foods I am now able to eat now that I put my homemade coffee creamer to bed for the most part. Sure freed up a lot of calories for me to intake the fuel my body needs! I was feeling lean and mean and then disaster struck come last Saturday/Sunday. I know I'm not "fat" but the bloating sure makes me feel as if I haven't made any progress at all. As soon as I eat or drink something in the morning...it begins. And only gets worse throughout the day as I continue to eat and drink. By 4:00 pm I look 3 months pregnant! I've gone back and forth and round and round on my diary and can't seems to figure out what Ice done differently between the previous week and this past week. I'm supposed to be upping my calories starting Monday but now I feel hesitant about doing it because I don't want to look and feel even worse. The sad part is that this is the very best I've ever eaten (over the last few weeks) (I know...it's sad but I'm learning) and I'm doing crossfit four times a week and cardio (62 stairs that go up and down from our house to dock) 4-5 times a week too.
I need some major help PLEASE before I get too discouraged. Do you see anything at all that might be upsetting the mid-section??? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• jewelryS
    jewelryS Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yeah just went through this. Ok I'll ask you the same thing my clinician asked me. Are you still regular and if you are is it easy or not really. I don't eat processed food I eat at least 8 servings of raw veggies and fruit, didn't matter. I had to up my fiber and because I had been through a shock to my body (a couple actually) she had me take an oral probiotic. She said that no matter how healthy we eat sometimes our digestive track gets out of whack and the body needs a new kick start. It took about a week and the bloat went away, but I am still finishing the probiotic and adding the extra fiber through flax, chia, hemp seed and some more fruit.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    First, your diary needs to be set to public.

If you'd like someone to look at your diary this is a great starting point.
  • origwvgirl
    origwvgirl Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Too much fiber can cause bloating, gas or you may have added a food recently that you're sensitive to. See The Virgin Diet. Are you drinking carbonated drinks?
  • jbsoulmates
    jbsoulmates Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Okay got my diary set to public now.

Jewelery5 I'm not sure about the fiber. I think I do relatively decent with it. As far as regularity, I just never have been. I go maybe a few times a week. When I had to go yesterday I actually thought it may help but it didn't.

I'm actually starting to wonder if I may be gluten sensitive maybe. I have always been prone to gas (and sometimes horrible gas pains to boot) an bloating. It's just since I lost weight last year, that I've really noticed the bloating as much. Most of the time, I wear tight tank tops to crossfit but I know there are times I keep loser ones on hand for when the bloating kicks in. And now, since I'm eating sooooo much better and way better than I ever have then I guess I was kinda surprised and disappointed that I am still getting bloated.

I take probiotics daily and have for the past few years. It does help to some degree. I can pop Beanos like chiclets but to no avail.

What I'm really curious about it the difference in my diet between the week before last to last week. I was feeling great and lean then BAM....bloating! I don't see (with my eye) any big differences between my feel good week and last week. Diet looks relatively the same to me.

Any other thoughts???
  • Luv2Smile55
    Luv2Smile55 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You need Probiotics as well as Prebiotics. They work synergistic-ally. I take Prebiotin brand. The prebiotics are more difficult to buy locally. Even the drug stores don't always carry them. I order mine.

http://www.prebiotin.com/ This is where I get mine. Hope this helps! :smile:
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Okay got my diary set to public...

What I'm really curious about it the difference in my diet between the week before last to last week. I was feeling great and lean then BAM....bloating! I don't see (with my eye) any big differences between my feel good week and last week.

I still can't see your diary :tongue:
  • jbsoulmates
    Options
    Kethry70 I think I fixed it...again! Hahaha
  • jbsoulmates
    Options
    I think I got it! ;)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If you're new to eating broccoli and you're eating it RAW it may be that. It takes the tummy a while to do all the work you're asking it to do now (by eating whole foods).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Changing your diet can do that. You might want to focus on the specific changes you've made. One common thing is if you go from not that many vegetables to lots. Yours doesn't seem like an extreme enough change that that's what's happening, but I didn't look at it that closely. Another thing I noticed was that you seem to drink almond milk and are currently using whey protein powder. Don't know why the almond milk, but if you are sensitive to dairy in general maybe whey protein could be bothering you. But mostly I'd just look at what the changes are for you specifically. Sometimes you just have to let yourself adjust, but there might be something that's not agreeing with you.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Thanks for opening it. I viewed the last week of May and the first week of June. Honestly, mid day bloating isn't related to your diet. You have a well balanced day, fiber included, fair amount of MACROS across the board. So, the only thing would potentially be the timing of foods which are dense in calories and vegetables. Sometimes 'bloating' feel is related to satiation. I am not a nutritionist or registered dietician but if it persists I'd reach out to a RD. BTW your diary looks very good in terms of choices so hope you figure it out. Peace.
  • origwvgirl
    origwvgirl Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could try going back and eating EXACTLY what you ate the week you felt great and see if the bloat goes away. Then try the week that you felt bloated and see if it comes back.
  • supersizegetsnoguys
    Options
    try working on your lower abs.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    For some people xylitol may cause digestive issues. Have you ever tried eliminating it completely for awhile to see if that helps?
    You do have quite a bit everyday.

Edited for spelling error.
  • lise_stedman
    lise_stedman Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have exactly the same issue and it is really getting me down. Trying to eliminate lactose for a few weeks to see if that is the problem but had serious bloating and pains yesterday without lactose. It happened after I ate an apple so it may be the fruit for me that is doing this.
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    For some people xylitol may cause digestive issues. Have you ever tried eliminating it completely for awhile to see if that helps?
    You do have quite a bit everyday.

Edited for spelling error.

I get digestive problems with eating Quest Bars due to the xylitol I think and the fact its a lot of fiber in one hit. I googled it, and it seems to be a common problem. I also get bloat from water retention. I had terrible bloat yesterday due to not drinking my usual 2-3 daily liters over the weekend because I was out and about.
  • HailyP
    HailyP Posts: 16
    Options
    Hi, I'm a nurse and health and wellness coach who also deals with bloat. Omeprazole helps but I don't promote pills because I'm not a doctor and prefer to find natural solutions. The Omeprazole helps me and my pcp prescribed it. Please try Kefir which is like liquid yogurt and can be found in the dairy section. Only 8oz per day (its like a smoothie) can help greatly due to the natural bacteria in the Kefir. Also avoid carbonated drinks and trigger foods. Good luck!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Xylitol sweetener and other sweeteners can cause problems. I was using a sweetener for awhile and then one day I started feeling sick every time I had it. It came on all of a sudden.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Xylitol sweetener and other sweeteners can cause problems. I was using a sweetener for awhile and then one day I started feeling sick every time I had it. It came on all of a sudden.

I was getting ready to say the same thing.
  • jesiann2014
    jesiann2014 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I sufferred for YEARS with painful lower belly bloat. These two products gave me a life!! Not expensive, it's worth at least trying...
    51LubtNb8LL._AA160_.jpg
    41o79jqTHYL._AA160_.jpg