Opinions please

Options
So I'm new to this whole thing. Seems like it'll be a useful tool.

Let me start by asking opinions on todays food plan I made for myself:

Bfast = maple oatmeal + a slice of butter + small glass of milk

lunch = 1 slice pizza + water

dinner = 2 frozen burrito + hot sauce + water

snacks = mixed nuts

all of this @ 207lbs 6" tall 30 yo male

my job is extremely high cardio (overnight stocker at wal-mart, massive cardio work out let me tell you) so I'm doing the active option, but on my off days when im just sitting around watching t.v. i'm doing light activity instead which is about 600 or so calories less.

According to my thingy here, with light activity I should be under 1700 calories. All of those items above leave me left over with 100ish calories to spend.

Is this still a deficet? They always say, doesn't matter what you eat, as long as you're in a calorie deficiet you'll lose weight so yeah. Sticking by that rule. What do you think?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    how many calories is that? looks rather carb heavy and very low calorie, plus why would you eat butter on its own? and wheres the fruit and veg? while you dont need it to lose weight, its good for your health!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    You will need to make your diary public if you want help, as all of this is meaningless without seeing the numbers. How many mixed nuts? What size burrito: A tiny frozen one? One the size of your head from Chipotle? How big is the pizza slice? How large is a slice of butter?

It is true that if you are truly in a calorie deficit and logging your food accurately, you will lose weight. I agree with the person above that said your day looks pretty carb heavy and potentially low calorie, but the devil is in the details...the actual numbers you logged.

For health purposes, you could use more balance. How about some protein? You could also use some vegetables in there too.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Where are the fruits and vegetables?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Where are the fruits and vegetables?

+1

I'd be starving with so many carbs and so little protein too.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    thumbs down

increase your protein and add in fruits and veggies.

Of course if your goal is only to lose weight, then if you are eating less then you burn you're good.

Beef jerky and cheese sticks are great snacks for that job (I used to run a wal-mart, I know what you do)

Oatmeal is a good breakfast before work. I'd add a protein with it. Eggs or cheese or some form of meat. You could switch to plain oatmeal and use protein powder to flavor the oatmeal. Cottage cheese and Greek yogurt are really good healthy high protein snacks that are quick and easy to transport and eat. You can mix them up by adding different fruits or different flavors of protein powders or using spices and making your own unique creation with it. You could make a chef salad or salad with tuna or chicken or steak on it for lunch. And for that kind of work, you need to drink a lot of water.

You'll be fuller and healthier with these options over a burrito (probably frozen from the walmart food section right?, those are usually pretty high calorie and high sodium and high fat and imo not very satisfying.)
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can lose weight eating whatever you want as long as you eat at a deficit, but there is definitely something to be said for the quality of food. Notice mention of protein, fruits and veggies... All of these things help you to feel full longer, and often times you can eat more of them than you can a piece of pizza. With a job that is high cardio, you definitely should look into the quality of food you are eating, because carb loading (as the diet plan you laid out) will just make you feel hungry faster....
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

snacks = mixed nuts

my job is extremely high cardio (overnight stocker at wal-mart, massive cardio work out let me tell you) so I'm doing the active option, but on my off days when im just sitting around watching t.v. i'm doing light activity instead which is about 600 or so calories less.

According to my thingy here, with light activity I should be under 1700 calories. All of those items above leave me left over with 100ish calories to spend.

Is this still a deficet? They always say, doesn't matter what you eat, as long as you're in a calorie deficiet you'll lose weight so yeah. Sticking by that rule. What do you think?

Where are your vegetable and fruit servings? And why so much processed foods.
  • THECaptainObvious
    THECaptainObvious Posts: 399 Member
    Options

snacks = mixed nuts

Switch your activity level to "Moderately active: Salesperson/Teacher" (and keep it like that on weekends as well) that'll be more accurate. The sodium in the processed foods is what will hurt you. Try (if you can) fixing yourself meals in bulk for the week that'll help out alot!
  • mstripes
    mstripes Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Get rid of the instant oatmeal, cook old fashioned instead. It takes 3-5 minutes. Sweeten with real maple syrup if that is the flavor you want and add a measured pat of butter. Maybe add some walnuts for protein......

What kind of pizza, yeah it matters.... all right once awhile but you might want to mix it up with fresher choices; salad with meats and cheeses.

Make your own burritos and eat some vegetables with it.

I agree that if you are eating less calories than you are burning you will lose weight however for long term health a balanced diet is better for you. I also agree with Maren8675 to change your activity level.
  • teaganmayc
    Options
    Yep, agree with the others - too much processed food and not enough protein or veggies! :)

Good luck and great idea to ask for advice!
  • slash334
    slash334 Posts: 10
    Options

Whether it's a deficit or not I'd feel like garbage eating that.

I tried eating healthy like that before and I felt no physical difference between that diet and a crap diet (fast food etc.)

I don't understand how people feel bad eating those kinds of foods. *shrug*

But in any case, I gotta have my alcohol so yeah.
  • slash334
    slash334 Posts: 10
    Options
    Get rid of the instant oatmeal, cook old fashioned instead. It takes 3-5 minutes. Sweeten with real maple syrup if that is the flavor you want and add a measured pat of butter. Maybe add some walnuts for protein......

What kind of pizza, yeah it matters.... all right once awhile but you might want to mix it up with fresher choices; salad with meats and cheeses.

Make your own burritos and eat some vegetables with it.

I agree that if you are eating less calories than you are burning you will lose weight however for long term health a balanced diet is better for you. I also agree with Maren8675 to change your activity level.

Can't cook bro. I rely solely on a microwave or oven to cook pre-prepared meals. So it's my only option.

And no, don't tell me to "Learn how to cook then" because i'm not going to "Learn how to cook."

:P
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    vegetables would probably help you out a bit.
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Hey, I feel you. I CAN cook. I just HATE cooking. It's stressful at the end of the day. Do they have Custom Fit Meals in your area? I give them a go every few weeks. They are freshly made and you pick them up twice per week. They are never frozen are "clean" pre-portioned meals. Pop them in the microwave for 3 minutes and you're good to go.

Additionally, are you really committed to shedding the weight? There are a lot of excuses here.
  • Kitteneyes01
    Kitteneyes01 Posts: 125
    Options
    Not to be rude, but why are you asking for opinions if you're going to disregard everything everyone is saying/suggesting?

Everyone is suggesting you eat more nutrient dense foods and then you say you'd rather eat processed stuff. If you don't really want advice don't ask for it.

:-/
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.
    Yes, it would be ideal if you wanted to learn to cook and ate clean whole foods all the time. If that's not a step you're ready to take then the are better choices you can make.
    Add some fruit and vegetables to your diet. Most fruit needs no prep other than washing before eating. Plenty of veggies can eaten raw and there are those frozen packs that you just toss in the microwave and steam right in pack.
    For protein check out those rotisserie chickens. Eat Greek yogurt.
    Basically, exlplore other options that fit your limitations, but are healthier.
  • moondazed
    moondazed Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    more protein, more vegetables, and perhaps more calories because that seems like a very small amount of food
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal never satisfies me.. I know they say it's supposed to .. but for me, it doesn't. I'd rather go for an egg or two. Agree with everyone else about more protein. Pizza and frozen burritos? Sounds really high in sodium. While they aren't bad in moderation, sounds like you plan on having it everyday. If lack of time is a problem, there are plenty of quick fixes that are way healthier.

Edit: I can't even make toast, but I can throw an egg in a skillet. And the microwave can also be used to steam veggies/brown rice/etc. Perdue makes lots of dumb dumb options like "perfect portions" that are chicken fillets in marinade. Literally..just take it out of the bag and put it in the oven. If thats too much, they make "short cuts".. chicken already cooked and sliced for you.

From the sound of it, instead of a question, this was more of a statement like "Here's what i'm gonna do, tell me it will work".