Feeling Defeated

Options
I am a bit frustrated. I have not lost any weight in almost 2 weeks. I am logging every morsel of food I eat and generally staying right below or right at my calorie goal. I have been diligently working out for almost two weeks now. I never took my measurements when I started but I cant really feel a difference in how my clothes are fitting either. What gives?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    2 whole weeks!?

given that you only have11lbs to lose, you should be aiming for 0.5lb per week... be patient and consistant and you'll get there.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    If you are weighing (with a scale) and measuring (with measuring cups/spoons) all your food, if you are logging accurately, and if you are logging your exercise accurately, then the only other thing is patience.

This link will help if you have other questions:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

And this link shows what true weight loss progress looks like:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ihad/view/the-path-of-success-631437
  • herewego85
    herewego85 Posts: 76
    Options
    Thanks! I actually want to lose about 25 pounds but I set my goals small so it did not seem like such a big task. I will just keep trucking and see where it goes. I usually give up after about 2 weeks so I am using MFP this time to help keep me motivated.
  • SweeDecadence92
    SweeDecadence92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I would definately start taking taking measurements as a start.

Looking at your diary I'd maybe suggest logging in grams that cups. Cups is a pretty inaccurate measure for weight, though some might disagree.

Do you track exercise calories? If so do you eat back your exercise calories and how do you gauge your exercise calories.

I wouldn't be too concerned, weight-loss isn't linear, sometimes we stall for a while.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    It happens. Be patient and stay the course. Make sure you're measuring everything accurately, and give it another few weeks before you try adjusting the numbers. If you do end up having to adjust things, don't decrease by too much, and give the change a couple of months to show results. Think of it as a marathon, not a sprint.

ETA: But above all...don't stay defeated! Get up and fight on.
  • christinebryant80
    christinebryant80 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I agree with SweeDecadence, cups are alot different then grams. I was measuring the same as you with cups then I went and bought a scale and it is alot defferent now. Scale is the way to go, and you cant give up this time, your my 30 day sherdding buddy and you are the one keeping me motivated. Im actually doing it this time knowing you are doing it as well. You've got this girl.
  • awomaninsane
    awomaninsane Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I know from experience that when you decide to lose weight you want it to happen immediately, like within the first day!

When i started on my journey a couple of years ago it took about 6 weeks to lose anything, but once it started to come off it did so steadily from then on.

So... keep at it and do not give up. :bigsmile:
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    I would definately start taking taking measurements as a start.

Looking at your diary I'd maybe suggest logging in grams that cups. Cups is a pretty inaccurate measure for weight, though some might disagree.

Do you track exercise calories? If so do you eat back your exercise calories and how do you gauge your exercise calories.

I wouldn't be too concerned, weight-loss isn't linear, sometimes we stall for a while.

Agreed. Solid foods, weigh in grams... Liquids, measure in cups/tbsp/tsp.
  • klingonbarbie
    klingonbarbie Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I too feel defeated, I've only lost 10lbs since April, my target is 100lbs in 2 years, from 196 to a very healthy 96 (the weight I was when 9 months pregnant 34 years ago), I have other medical issues such as under active thyroid which slows down my weight loss, suggest maybe you have this checked out at your Doctors...at weekends I don't follow MFP as I would be too embarrassed to post my over eating...I'm on 1200 calories a day as recommended by MFP, I did try for a week 1000 calories a day, but found that very hard to maintain.. I also get a little jealous when I read about folks loosing 6-7 lbs a week, but on average I should be loosing 1-2 lbs a week.. I do try to eat healthy at weekends but it's hard as it's prime BQ season... good luck, my clothes are still tight but not as tight:flowerforyou:
  • turpenoid
    turpenoid Posts: 73
    Options
    Start taking body measurements! You'll be able to see how every pound you shed truly changes your body composition.

Are you drinking enough water? Are you tracking the butter, oil, condiments, etc that you put on or in your food? Have you tried eating more colorful vegetables with dinner? Could you push yourself farther (in a healthy manner) to change up your exercise?

If you're doing all the right things, it might just be a matter of patience. The body can retain water for many reasons. Just stick with healthy habits! :) Good luck and keep up the diligent tracking.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I understand. I do, I've done well with weight loss, even when I backslid a bit (I had lost 50 lbs...put some back on, now at it again...) I started lifting heavy 8 weeks ago. Your body hangs onto water a lot when lifting so I haven't seen the scale move, which is a total mind game...sucks. I've lost inches everywhere though, and I know that's important. Probably more important than a # on the scale. The emotional side of me though was freaking out, I just have to bring my logical, rational side out front and keep at it.

Keep going.
    Take measurements.
    If the scale # makes you crazy...take a sledgehammer to the scale. I'm seriously considering pulling an office space on mine...

Dave-Grohl-Stare-and-Wave-BRIT-Awards-2013.gif
    and for funsies...^^
  • iamuniqueiam
    iamuniqueiam Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You have got to get a food scale. They are quite inexpensive and you will really be alarmed once you realize the difference. You are probably eating 20-30% more than you think you are. And then you have to give it time. Try to only weigh yourself once a week on the same day and at the same time or the scale fluctuations will drive you bonkers. You've got this!!

Edited for grammar.
  • gsnow597
    gsnow597 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I agree with cups-to-grams on solid foods. What is the water consumption? This is vital to flush the sodium and impurities out of your body. I noticed a heavy sodium day in your diary but overall your doing good on the sodium intake. Try going about 15 minutes more on your cardio workouts. This helped me anyway! Good Luck! This is a slow and steady process.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I am a bit frustrated. I have not lost any weight in almost 2 weeks. I am logging every morsel of food I eat and generally staying right below or right at my calorie goal. I have been diligently working out for almost two weeks now. I never took my measurements when I started but I cant really feel a difference in how my clothes are fitting either. What gives?

Sometimes it takes time. Years. Have faith in the process and keep going. We didn't gain weight overnight, we dont lose it overnight either.
  • JeffInJax
    JeffInJax Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    After reading everything here on the forums advocating using a scale, I actually am expecting mine to arrive tomorrow and start weighing my foods as well. I havent stalled just yet but its a good habit to get into, and like they said weight loss is not linear. When i had just started losing weight and had a ton to lose, there was a whole month where I did not lose any weight at all and it was very frustrating but kept chugging along and eventually it started moving again at the same rate as before. Our bodies are well suited to adapting, its only natural that there are some quirks or speed bumps when we are actively trying to change them. Just keep strong and keep going =)
  • Cycle4Life99
    Options
    The less you have to lose, the longer it can take. Be patient and stoic. It'll happen.
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I too feel defeated, I've only lost 10lbs since April, my target is 100lbs in 2 years, from 196 to a very healthy 96 (the weight I was when 9 months pregnant 34 years ago), I have other medical issues such as under active thyroid which slows down my weight loss, suggest maybe you have this checked out at your Doctors...at weekends I don't follow MFP as I would be too embarrassed to post my over eating...I'm on 1200 calories a day as recommended by MFP, I did try for a week 1000 calories a day, but found that very hard to maintain.. I also get a little jealous when I read about folks loosing 6-7 lbs a week, but on average I should be loosing 1-2 lbs a week.. I do try to eat healthy at weekends but it's hard as it's prime BQ season... good luck, my clothes are still tight but not as tight:flowerforyou:

off topic,I am sorry, your profile says you are 5'8" and you want to lose and get down to a "healthy 96lbs" ? How do you figure that is healthy? sorry not trying to be rude but that is a pretty low number for 5'8", i know that BMI is a *kitten* indicator but that would put you at 14.8 and quite under weight. I am 5'6" and anything under 130-40 i would probably look ill. I know everyone is different, but I don't think aiming for under 100 lbs as an adult who is not short by any means (maybe if you were 5', is a very healthy goal to aim for ;/
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I presently have a goal to lose just four pounds. In the last month I have been losing at a rate of .2 to .5 pounds a week. This is success! I've done this before and I am confident . Your tracking and weighing in will give you data to know what is best for you, and your patience will bring you success.
  • herewego85
    herewego85 Posts: 76
    Options
    Thanks everybody. I took my measurements this morning, so I am going to start tracking those as well. I am also going to look into getting a food scale. I have been measuring everything with measuring cups and measuring spoons. I am interested to see what a difference that makes.