Food allergies

Options
brandifleck
brandifleck Posts: 10 Member
Does anyone know of a good website for people with multiple food allergies? I have been told I am allergic to gluten and that my body does not digest pork like it should. I also found out that my daughter is allergic to gluten, milk, eggs, soy and coffee.

Was hoping someone knew of a website, I could enter all the allergies and a list of recipes or food substitutions would be provided.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I feel for you - dietary restrictions are a nuisance but can be accommodated. For gluten intolerance my husband uses the coeliac web site - google shall be your friend. There are loads of gluten free recipes on the internet so you should be able to find some that also avoid the other allergens.

Good luck:flowerforyou: .
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    There isn't anything like that that I am aware of, although AdventuresofaGlutenFreeMom.com is a great resource for living with multiple food allergies.

I live without: gluten, eggs, milk products - cow and goat, coffee, honey, pork, mushrooms, bananas, cranberries, pineapple, almonds, yeast because of food allergies. I use "Vegan" and "gluten free" as my search parameters for baked recipes for online, but I also know how to sub eggs and milk in baking so many times just gluten free works in google searches.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    The first site which comes to my mind is "food can make you ill", this covers salicylate predominantly but you should be able to find information on what causes other food reactions. I did buy the book the sales of which support the site. This goes into msg, and other chemicals produced in the cooking process.

Living with food issues is a real pain. It is particularly bad if you are left "just hanging" with no additional guidance. All the very best
  • julslenae
    julslenae Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm dairy and gluten sensitive. I replace cow milk with almond or coconut milk.

I've never used the following site but saw it might work for you:
    http://www.allergyfreedelights.com/category/allergy-free/
  • brandifleck
    brandifleck Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone. I will check out the sites you mentioned. I have found several sites on egg substitutes and we use almond milk.
  • qmmanager69
    qmmanager69 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    kidswithfoodallergies.com is a good one. I'm so very thankful that my son outgrew most of his allergies (he was peanut and soy primarily with lactose intolerance). Also, if you're looking for cool, kid oriented med alert bracelets, go to allermates.com. These are great hypoallergenic bands that were created by a couple of moms who had kids with allergies. They're trendy and fun and my son never tried to take his off. Good luck. I know what a terrifying journey you're on.
  • sarahrosheen
    sarahrosheen Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Try going to see a naturopath, they may have good references for books/websites
  • fultonp115
    fultonp115 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am having a similar issue. In the last year I have been diagnosed as being allergic to wheat, rice, potato, corn, pistachio, peanut, almond, Brazil nut, shrimp, pear, watermelon, and citrus.

Whereas I am not allergic to gluten, this is still proving problematic. I've found that there are quite a few good gluten free flours and product out on the shelves these days. The problem for me is that most gluten free foods contain rice, corn, potato or a mixture of these things. Anything Betty Crocker brand is really good for baking. It's a rice blend flour that they use in their food. Also Chebe is good so long as your not lactose-intolerant. They use cheese as the binding ingredient. Chebe is actually wheat, corn and potato free.

The biggest hurdle for me is making sure I meet my daily potassium requirements which is why I've started using MyFitnessPal to track that information as much as possible. I've been making everything from scratch so I know exactly what is in my food. Even then, I still find citrus in some seasonings and maltodextrin or dextrose (corn) in my food (hot dogs and processed meats are NOTORIOUS). Research goes a loooong way to understanding what is in your food and what ingredients are in the products you are using. Paleo diet websites have great recipes for those allergic to grains. They use a lot of sweet potatoes in their food (which luckily I CAN eat)...

I know it's not a website solution. Allrecipes.com has ingredients to include. Luckily, once you figure out what has allergens and what doesn't it gets a LOT easier. You figure out what works and what doesnt.

Good luck!
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Try www.AAFA.org (Asthma Allergy Foundation of America). I have multiple food allergies to legumes, peanuts, soy, and am lactose intolerant so I have allergies/food resistance that are somewhat similar/overlapping to what you are talking about. Your doctor (or at least an allergy specialty office) should be able to give you long lists of food substitutes. Otherwise, those lists are out there. Try AAFA.org first. Also, try www.foodallergy.org. Happy to help with ideas for food substitutes if you need them, let me know. Good luck.