Calories burned on myfitness pal vs calorie monitor

Options
Can me please explain to me why the calories burned on the exercise database are so low? Or is it correct? I bought a Perfect..... calories monitor and it says that I burn over 1000 calories when I exercise. I do the T25 Focus routine. Since T25 is not on the database, I was checking off general circuit training for 342 burned calories then I bought the watch and now I am really confused. I understand the BMR thing but once again the watch says my BMR (when I look at in the morning) is approx. 345 or something like that. Can someone please give me some advise???? I don't want to eat too many calories when I am not supposed to. Thanks:a bunch :grumble:

Replies

• ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Does your calorie monitor have a heart rate monitor with it? That's the most accurate way of calculating a calorie burn. Also is your watch giving you two different totals? One for calories burned during exercise and one for total daily calorie burn? You didn't say how long your workout routine was but it's pretty unlikely that you burned 1000 calories unless it was several hours. It's always best to err on the side of caution and go with the lower number so that you don't eat back too many calories.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    HRMs do not calculate intervals accurately. They don't calculate dancing accurately. They calculate specific steady state cardio events fairly well ... running, constant biking, speed walking, etc ... but still only produce an estimate based on formulae derived from lab testing of people conducting those events.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to be a "bro-science" spoil sport, but I think it is highly unlikely that you are burning 1000 calories during a 30 minute routine. Have ou verified that all the settings on the watch are correct? Are you wearing a HRM during the workout?
  • RunnersLament
    RunnersLament Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Not familiar with either T25 or this Perfect calorie monitor... however, 1000 Calories seems awfully high for a 30 minute workout.

I weigh 230 lbs and my HRM calculates my calories in the neighborhood of about 900 calories per hour while running. That is a sustained 60 minute run at 10 minutes/mile.

Are you sure your settings are correct? Easy enough to misplace a zero and punch in the wrong units of measurement...
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Can me please explain to me why the calories burned on the exercise database are so low? Or is it correct? I bought a Perfect..... calories monitor and it says that I burn over 1000 calories when I exercise. I do the T25 Focus routine. Since T25 is not on the database, I was checking off general circuit training for 342 burned calories then I bought the watch and now I am really confused. I understand the BMR thing but once again the watch says my BMR (when I look at in the morning) is approx. 345 or something like that. Can someone please give me some advise???? I don't want to eat too many calories when I am not supposed to. Thanks:a bunch :grumble:

A heart rate monitor with a chest strap measures your heart rate constantly & compares that against your resting heart rate. That difference is the estimate for exertion level.

Now - if no chest strap - your monitor measures your heart rate once in awhile. If no chest strap - arm movements can throw the numbers off.

As others have stated, measuring calories for steady state cardio (what a HRM is designed for) is one thing, measuring for circuit or strength training or hiit...is something else.

Re: BMR (Calories for doing nothing).........figure out 1 days worth. Find your hourly BMR by dividing by 24. If your BMR was 1800....divide by 24 = 75 calories an hour. If you did a 1 hour workout you would net 75 calories out.

http://iifym.com/bmr-calculator/

OK - reread your post. Are you wearing a heart rate monitor 24/7? HRMs do not measure BMR....and are not designed for measuring that. Activity trackers do a fair job on measuring TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) ...that's BMR + activity level (ie: sedentary) + exercise. Activity trackers have a built in pedometer to measure steps. HRMs don't measure activity. Folks with activity trackers typically wear a FitBit 24/7......but may use a heart rate monitor for a specific cardio workout & adjust as needed, because FitBits don't have the heart rate component.
  • blueyz66
    blueyz66 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you for the comments. I do have a Polaris heart monitor with the chest strap. The watch just displays time, % of goal achieved, steps, and calories burned. Like this morning I worked out for 25 minutes and I found an estimated calorie burn of 210 for T25 Speed dvd. That count was for a younger women of 152 lbs. I am 48 and much heavier so I thought I might burn more than that, maybe double??
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the comments. I do have a Polaris heart monitor with the chest strap. The watch just displays time, % of goal achieved, steps, and calories burned. Like this morning I worked out for 25 minutes and I found an estimated calorie burn of 210 for T25 Speed dvd. That count was for a younger women of 152 lbs. I am 48 and much heavier so I thought I might burn more than that, maybe double??

Bigger burns more.....older burns less. Men burn more (more muscle mass)....than women. The over riding factor will be your exertion level. Over time the workout will be less challenging & burn fewer calories......fitness happens.

If you are really out of shape increase it by some....but double is too much I think.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I had a HRM watch and it ALWAYS over exaggerated the calories. I Never trusted it. Now I have a Fitbit, which seems more accurate.
  • fosteram27
    fosteram27 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My experience has been that MFP overestimates calories burned for steady state cardio. I've got a garmin GPS watch with chest strap heart rate monitor. If my heart rate is close to maxed out (165-175) for the duration of the run, it matches up fairly well with MFP. If I do an easier run and my heart rate is closer to 150-160, it's significantly less than what MFP states for the same speed/duration.
  • blueyz66
    blueyz66 Posts: 5
    Options
    ok, just throw out the gizmos and consume my 14-1600 calories a day and I should be fine. Too complicated. I do enjoy the T25 though. Thanks for all the info. Really appreciate.:smile: