Radio changed my life!!!

Options
Last Christmas I weighed more than 290lbs, I was uncomfortable, unhappy and unhealthy. I had given up on myself and that was that. I ate what I wanted when I wanted and I moved as little as possible. I had 2 beautiful daughters that I loved but was not a great example to or even that great of a Mommy.

That all changed,

One day my favorite radio station announced that they were going to be taking entries for a Biggest Loser Winnipeg contest. A friend and I decided to each send in an entry and see what happened. I thought that there was very little chance of even getting picked. I loved the Biggest Loser TV show, I would sit down each week with snacks and watch other people take control of their lives as I ate chips or popcorn.
Well late January the chosen teams were announced, out of more than 400 entries only 15 teams were chosen. We were the 15th team!

On Feb 1, we walked into our sponsor gym to meet our trainers. I had never had the courage to walk into a gym before because I thought that people would stare at me and think that I didn't belong there. I was nrevous and terrified! We were weighed and measured. I was 294lbs and was more inches than I could have ever imagined. We were put on treadmills and told to go. I could hardly walk at the speed she had set me at, I was panting and my heart rate was higher that I thought it would go, I was sure I was going to drop dead right there on the treadmill, but I made it. Over the next few weeks the trainer pushed me as hard as she could and I went to the gym every single day without fail. She gave me a diet and I followed it, I can honestly say that during the 3 month contest I did not cheat on my diet once. The first 2 weeks I dropped 24lbs and I felt better than I had in years. The treadmill got easier and I was able to start using all of the other machines that I was so afraid of on day one. I rocked the elliptical trainer and kicked the stairmaters butt. I could do circuits and muscles that I didn't know I had were hurting. Short story is, my body was doing things I didn't believe possible, I was losing weight and feeling fantastic. Clothes were starting to get loose and later falling off me. After the first month people began to comment on how different I looked and how I needed smaller clothes. It was even more motivation!

The contest ended on May 2, I managed to lose a total of 80 lbs, I felt like a new person. I am happier, more patient and more relaxed. I am now the mother that my girls deserve. I can run and play and I have the energy to do all of the things I should. Our whole family is healthier and happier. I sleep better, I wake up easier in the morning. I am the person I should have been all my life.

The contest has been over for a month and life gets better and better. I am still eating a healthy balanced diet, I don't crave unhealthy food. I love exercise and look forward to my workouts. I went from a size 22 pants to a 12, I am shopping in stores that I have never been able to fit in my whole life. My workout pants from day one were a 3X, the ones I wore today to they gym are a lg.

I have done things that I never thought were possible and I am just getting started. I have now lost 84lbs and I have a long way to go but I know I am going to get there! I am using this site and I have joined a TOPS group in my area and I am more motivated than ever!

Thanks for talking the time to read my story! Good luck on your journey!

Replies

• Thinwithin2010
    Thinwithin2010 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    What a GREAT!! story.. Congrat's to you and your family for getting their mom back.. Thankyou for writing this.. Stories like this are what keep's me going.. :heart:
  • zoey116
    zoey116 Posts: 75
    Options
    Awsome story! You are such a motivation!:flowerforyou:
  • jjbcc99
    jjbcc99 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Great Story! Congrats on your weight loss! I would like to know what diet the trainer put you on if you don't mind sharing. I would love to see if I can work out everyday and eat what ever you ate for 2 weeks and lose 20+ pounds! That would be wonderful to go home to Florida 20 lbs. lighter! Please share if you can. Thanks :)
  • gettinfitmama
    gettinfitmama Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story!
    Very nicely written!
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Wow - great story! You must feel awesome, too!
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Wow - great story! You must feel awesome, too!
  • chanson104
    chanson104 Posts: 859
    Options
    That is an awesome success story! I love hearing such great success stories. They motivate me. Thank you for sharing!
  • SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    Options
    I am now the mother that my girls deserve.

That really struck a cord with me.

I wanted to be a better dad to my 3 girls but I had NO idea just how much my change affected them. I haven't forced anything on them but when they ask why I'm not eating or drinking certain things I explain that it was eating or drinking those things that made my how I used to be and I tell them about the alternatives I discovered which I enjoy more. The eldest has stopped drinking all pops and rarely wants chips etc. She has tried the alternatives and loves them as much as I do.

This change has rippled through family and friends with a number of people looking at their own lives.

I am so happy you have achieved what you have :flowerforyou:
  • murelzgirl
    murelzgirl Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Great story! SO inspirational. :-)
  • HeatherCanDoIt
    HeatherCanDoIt Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much!
  • HeatherCanDoIt
    Options
    Great Story! Congrats on your weight loss! I would like to know what diet the trainer put you on if you don't mind sharing. I would love to see if I can work out everyday and eat what ever you ate for 2 weeks and lose 20+ pounds! That would be wonderful to go home to Florida 20 lbs. lighter! Please share if you can. Thanks :)
    I sent you a message and shared my secrets!:smile:
  • Umpire57
    Umpire57 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I hate to ask because even if you did not, I know you won in the end but the competitor in me cant help it...Did you win the contest?
  • fdobson
    fdobson Posts: 28
    Options
    Fantastic Story! Thank you for sharing.
  • HeatherCanDoIt
    Options
    We came in second place, the team lost a total of 203 lbs in 3 months. I am so proud of us all. When we were picked, we won! I still wish that we had won first place because the prizes were really good and would have helped us continue on our journey!
  • cesse47
    cesse47 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! Wishing you continued success. :flowerforyou:
  • k9crystal
    k9crystal Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am starting on my journey, and I am the size that you were when you started. I would LOVE to know about your workout plan that you started with and how you progressed through it and how it evolved. Your story is VERY inspirational-- all of that hard work not only benefited you, but by sharing you're benefiting others for sure!!
  • HeatherCanDoIt
    Options
    I am starting on my journey, and I am the size that you were when you started. I would LOVE to know about your workout plan that you started with and how you progressed through it and how it evolved. Your story is VERY inspirational-- all of that hard work not only benefited you, but by sharing you're benefiting others for sure!!
    I would not mind sharing workout or diet info, I have made huge changes and feel great and I would love for others to feel this great too!
  • Danzicle
    Options
    Hi

Your story is amazing, and shows what can be acheived.

My daughter is 300lbs+ and is trying to diet. She has tried all kinds of diets in the past, she also needs to exercise but is too embarrassed to go to a gym. I am very concerned for her health. Would you be prepared to send me details of your diet and exercise plan to give her?

Thanks
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    Amazing. You are an inspiration. CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Charmagne
  • mauck1975
    mauck1975 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    WOW!!! what an amazing story. would you mind sharing with me your excersise and diet routine? keep up the great work!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!