MFP calculations

Options
Are the MFP calculations for exercise too high? Looking at what it calculates, I often think that it isn't realistic

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    For some exercises, yes. A lot of it is going to depend on the person, how hard they're pushing, what you're doing, etc.

A lot of people only eat back 50-75% of their burned calories because of this.
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    It's hard to know for sure, but there is the general consensus that MFP burns are high. When you log exercise don't eat all your exercise calories back to give yourself a buffer
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Yes, they are for me. I ran 5 miles this morning and according to my HRM I burned 470 calories. If I use MFP's calc, it would give me 610, a difference of 140 calories. That would really add up over a week, especially on my longer runs. I highly suggest a HRM if you can afford it.
  • sophiegrace543
    sophiegrace543 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Wish I could afford a HRM at the moment but I'm really considering it.
    My main source of exercise is Blogilates videos and I normally lower the calories by about 20-30 (most videos are about 10 mins long), depending on if it's HIIT or strength training. I also do ballet and my class is no way as active as MFP assumes - I normally cut the calories for that by quarter/half!