Running and Still Breathing

Options
paymentm
paymentm Posts: 105 Member
Ok well this might not be the most fantastic success story out there but it is life changer for me! I have had sever asthma since I was born that was so bad that I needed to hold a mask over my face that pumped me with oxygen and steroids three times a day until I was six. Now and throughout puberty I just needed to take my everyday inhaler twice daily and my emergency inhaler 1-3 times a week depending on the season.

But for the past two weeks I have gone for a 40 minute jog every morning. The first day I walked much more than I ran and I actually had to take a break and use my inhaler halfway through. This morning marks the first time that I was able to run as much as I walked and I did not need to take a break or use my inhaler.

This is life changing for me. I am actually able to do moderate exercise without feeling winded or like I am going to pass out. Hopefully getting in shape will also help to further shape up my lungs. :)

Replies

• MyCabbages
    MyCabbages Posts: 33
    Options
    "Not the most fantastic"
    What'chu talkin' 'bout, Willis?

Not having to use your inhaler is a MASSIVE NSV. Keep up the good work!
  • shanehackney
    shanehackney Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    That is great!!! Running does magical things for our health. Keep it up!!!
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Woo! A runner is born!
  • cmbauer99
    cmbauer99 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Love it! Although nothing sexier than a person running than gasping and then shaking the inhaler to get a puff! haha

Good job!
  • traceyann1214
    traceyann1214 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    This is AWESOME!! You must feel so incredibly proud! This is a turning point in your life for you. Keep on going!
  • kamri2002
    kamri2002 Posts: 3
    Options
    Small steps = big changes! Congratulations! Keep pushing through......:happy:
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    That's wonderful! Congratulations to you!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I think that's fabulous!

I've had "exercise induced" asthma since I was a teen, it was missed until I was nearly adult. Now they've dropped the "exercise induced" label (which is dumb, anyway, IMO). I have a once-daily inhaler that I use. But I have also found that when I am regularly exercising, the asthma flare-ups are a lot less, especially when exercising. I think it's actually good for your asthma to exercise, as you've seem to have found. :happy:

Great job on continuing toward your goals and not letting the asthma keep you back!
  • paymentm
    paymentm Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the support!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!