Meals "off"?

Options
Hi, does anyone take a meal "off" or day "off" during the week of calorie counting? If so, what do you do to plan for it? Also, do you think it is helpful or detrimental to success? Thanks for the feedback!

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    definitely not helpful! the whole idea is to achieve and maintain a new healthier outlook on food and exercising. By intentional cheating, that will not be achieved.
  • mrspeh
    mrspeh Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do, I shouldn't but I do. I feel it's detrimental because if I cheat I cheat all day. I have the mind set that since I've already cheated, might as well keep cheating all day. Lol
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Yes! I do! Some days, it's just not convenient to count or I just don't feel like it. Sometimes, I might plan for a "cheat" meal by extra exercise or eating light during the day, etc. But, sometimes I don't prepare for it and just enjoy! It takes 3500 extra calories (over your maintenance calories) to gain 1lb of fat. So, one meal or even one day isn't going to sabotage your entire week. I always try to drink a lot of water though, no matter what I do!
  • Pipeman376
    Options
    I take breakfast "off" every couple days. It's not really a planned thing though. I work 24hr shift so I get off work at 8am. By the time I get home, shower and get the kids off to school its usually 10-1030. I usually grab a small snack (yogurt) and wait till lunch. Not sure the success/detriment of my actions since I've only been tracking for 2 weeks now. But I don't feel any different on the days I do that.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I also find that on those days/meals where I'm off my normal plan, I learn that my tastes have changed.... I don't enjoy fast food as much anymore and I don't feel good after eating it. So, I find it helpful because I don't crave those types of things anymore. Hope that makes sense.

Also want to add.... eating well & healthy is NOT a punishment. If you plan to eat healthy and be active for the rest of your life, then enjoying a high calorie meal once in awhile will NOT destroy what you are doing. Life is short & should be enjoyed!
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I don't "plan" for it, in that I don't say that every Saturday I'm going to eat whatever I want. However, I do cheat for special occassions. The hubs and I don't get to go out very often, and I'm not about to order plain grilled chicken and steamed veggies when we do.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I acutally do plan for a free day - every Friday. I commit to my usual healthy breakfast and get in a good workout. Then the rest of the day I don't worry about it, I eat what I want. Over time, my tastes have changed (such as I can't handle pasta anymore) and my tastes have been changing ( ex: don't like the taste of hershey bars anymore) so my free day aren't as bad for me as they used to be. I've lost 254 lbs so it works for me. Its not even so much the idea of having"forbidden" foods because all foods are ok in moderation - its more the idea of relaxing and not counting for one day, which after 3 years, does get tiresome.
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    This is always a hot topic and everyone needs to do what is best for them.

For ME, I take one or two free meals each week. I usually plan them around a scheduled social function (friends want to try a new restaurant, it's my anniversary, it's my birthday, my husband's birthday...). Some weeks there's no reason for me to take a free meal so I don't take one. Again, this is just how I chose to incorporate the free meal.

The day of the free meal I eat and work out as I do any other day. I even spoil my appetite right before the free meal since this isn't an eating contest and I don't want to binge or over eat.

During the meal, I arm myself with a few other physical aids (a tight belt, a pair of skinny jeans, a corset) and my goal is to stay comfortable in these garments.

I then eat what appeals to me most. Bread basket? No thanks. Steak? Yes, please. Decadent dessert, any one? You betcha.

When the meal is over, I drink lots of water and we're back to business as usual the next day.

Also, I weigh in the morning of a free meal and not again for five days or so. Free meals have kept my weight loss moving because I don't feel deprived AND because I'm shocking my body.

Again, this is just what I do and everyone needs to make their own decision.

Charmagne
  • dmags
    dmags Posts: 303
    Options
    I do take meals off. About once a week. I think the most important thing is that it is a "MEAL" off, not a day off. I usually make it dinner, so I try to be very good during the day, work out and then enjoy. That way, when I have an event or plans come up, I don't panic, I know I can handle the freedom. I also feel like it keeps me from plateauing all the time.
  • jptmemphis
    jptmemphis Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It's not a diet, it's a change of life. I am not eating less to lose weight. I am relearning how to eat healthy. That being said, if you take a day off, you should still eat healthy and reasonable.
  • alyssa83202
    Options
    I might plan a cheat meal in the future, but I'm DEFINITELY going to log it! I want to know just how many calories I'm eating every day, even on the bad days! I think an occasional cheat meal is fine, but I don't want to get in the habit of not logging my calories! I think that would just hurt me in the long run!