Losing Weight for the Military

Options
Hi Everyone,

A couple of months ago (April) to be exact I decided I wanted to join the Navy or Air Force I hadn't nailed it down so I went to go talk to recruiter for my best chances. He told me I would have to lose about a 100 pounds. A little discouraged but I decided to get to work 2 months later I am now 40 pounds and have 60 more to go. But I'm starting to hit that plateau weight isn't coming off as fast and in between studying for the ASVAB and leading a normal life I feel a bit defeated. I want to lose the 60 by October which I feel is doable I just I guess I want any advice or tricks you guys can give me to get that push again. Also I was wondering if anybody knows which branch allows you to work out with them if your interested in joining. I am very interested in that thanks.

Replies

• lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Have you recalculated your calorie goal since you lost the 40lb? When you lose weight your body burns less calories day-to-day, so the amount you were eating to lose weight 40lb ago may be closer to maintenance now. which would explain slower weight loss. With exercise also if you are doing the same thing you might not be getting the same calorie burn, I recently had to shake up my exercise routine by adding 5 minute spurts of treadmill for every 15 mins on the exercise bike as I was no longer able to get my heart rate up with just the bike. There are no tricks for weight loss, just make sure you are still burning more than you consume! :)
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I don't want to sound like a Debbie downer here but I am all about being upfront and honest so in my opinion 60 lbs. by October is really aggressive (at 3.75 lbs. per week). Not saying it is completely impossible, but I think it is an unrealistic goal and judging by the sound of it, you are already having issues with motivation and setting unreachable goals probably isn't a good idea. I played football at 287 lbs. my senior year and had enter the delayed entry program for the US Army a year before deployment so once football season ended I had to drop 50 lbs. to make weight to get in and had about 6 months to do it. I went down to MEPS weighed in 4 lbs. over weight limit but they tape tested me and passed me on body fat comp... It really didn't matter to much cause 17 weeks later, I came out of Boot/AIT at 209 lbs. lol I would suggest you set realistic and obtainable goals because setting one's that can be out of reach and then missing it isn't going to help keep you in the game.

Take it one day at a time, be as successful each day as you can be and get up tomorrow and do it all over again. This mentality is more of a lifestyle and needs no adjustments. You will eventually arrive at your goal whether that be by December or even into 2015. On the working out part, I went in the service back in the late 80's so I don't know the protocol today but I became really good friends with my recruiter and all of the guys and gals that were at the recruiters office. They all got together daily for PT (normally at the park) and I trained with them all spring up until I left... Don't know if they do that sort of thing today or not.... Best of Luck to you on your journey just keep working daily to achieve your goals...
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    My son is in the Army and he was told the same thing by the recruiter 100 pounds to lose and he had 1 year to accomplish it. He was absolutely miserable to reach that goal in a year, but he did. Trying to lose 60 lbs by October is going to be even harder, you may want to discuss with the recruiters different options rather than October. He ran every morning with his recruiters, and every afternoon in the gym, and they did work with him to help him reach his goals.

Thank you for wanting to serve.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    You are 21 years old and have plenty of time to accomplish this goal in a healthy and sustainbale manner. If you need a year then take it.
  • AuntieEm84
    AuntieEm84 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been in the Army for 12 years. When I first joined in 2002, I was about 20 lbs overweight. While I did not make the weight, I did make the tape test and my BMI was within regulations. That being said, even if you don't make the 60lb loss, you may be able to reach the tape standards. Again, this is for the Army and while enlistment qualifications can change from time to time, it is something to look into.

http://www.goarmy.com/soldier-life/fitness-and-nutrition/components-of-fitness/body-composition.html
    http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/army_board_study_guide_topics/physical_training/apft-calculator-online.shtml
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I have been in the Army for 12 years. When I first joined in 2002, I was about 20 lbs overweight. While I did not make the weight, I did make the tape test and my BMI was within regulations. That being said, even if you don't make the 60lb loss, you may be able to reach the tape standards. Again, this is for the Army and while enlistment qualifications can change from time to time, it is something to look into.

http://www.goarmy.com/soldier-life/fitness-and-nutrition/components-of-fitness/body-composition.html
    http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/army_board_study_guide_topics/physical_training/apft-calculator-online.shtml
    True, there is the good ole tape test but one really doesnt want to have to rely on it. There are some guys who are extremely strong and muscular that have to go through it and are fine, but if you have to go to the tape test for other reasons then it could be an issue.

Times are changing now and they dont need troops quite as bad and are less willing to allow guys in who just pass tape.
    With that said, going into BCT you dont want to be on the fringe anyways with weight OR your PT standards. The min numbers are just that, minumum, and you dont want to be "that guy" who can barely make it as it will bring undue attention from the DS's
  • AuntieEm84
    AuntieEm84 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. In the OP case, she sounds she is working really hard to meet her goals. If the tape is within a healthy range that indicates lower BMI than the height and weight standards, she should be good to go....while continuing her weight loss goal.
  • bandgeek709
    bandgeek709 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi,

My starting weight was 264 I believe my height to be around 5'5-5'7. I now weigh 224. 60 pounds I know is a bit crazy for October and may or may not be unreachable but I want to set a high goal so I never feel like i can rest. For this month I only aim to lose about another 10 pounds at most . I know i have to be around 165 but I'm just trying to reach 200 then maybe the recruiter I spoke with will see how serious I am and be a bit more helpful. I thank you all for your advice. I'm not really in a rush to lose the other 60 pounds. I just know that I lost 40 pounds in 2 months. So i was think 60 in 5 months isnt that far of a fetch with the weight i am at. Maybe I'm wrong I was thinking of starting the T25 to tone
  • bandgeek709
    bandgeek709 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    is the body tape measure only for the Army?